Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: best press for reloading 45-90

Boolit Bub

best press for reloading 45-90

I am brand new to this sort of thing. I have a brand new (unused) 45-90 Creedmoor high wall. I am hoping for info on loading black powder. Not specific loads, Just what is a good press and dies as well as general case handling.

Also, figuring out case OAL. Is Starline brass long enough etc.

Boolit Grand Master

I have loaded 45-90 on a lee c frame, rcbs rock chucker, CoAx, and most recently an rcbs summit. 45-90 are standard 7/8 14 dies sets so any press with enough opening will do. Ive been using RCBS Dies for it but again any of the major manufacturers will do a fine job ( in a pinch adjusting 45-70 dies High will get you by also. Recomended accesories for loading are simple and not many. A compression die or means of compressing powder. A drop tube 24"-36" long is handy with heavy loads. The compression die stem can be purchased from BuFFalo Arms or others. The expander belling stem can be modified to compress also. A wood, steel, brass, or aluminum copy of the bullet can be made and the seater used to compress. An Arrow shaft or tubing copper brass or aluminum can be used for this.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Country Gent. I will probably go with an rcbs then since they are readily available locally. I really like black powder in muzzle loaders, and want to use it in this rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Pick up the SPG reloading manual it has some good information for grease grooves and what to do not do. Also Randolph S. Wrights Loading and shooting Paper Patched Bullets A Beginners Guide is very good on working and finding powder charges and along with other things. A good manual will help you alot.

Boolit Master
    In those large BP cases I usually try without a press, just simple homemade tools, and little or no case neck tension. The bullets are held in the case by the rifling and will not seat any deeper because of the bullet seated right on the powder. Your gun may like "no case neck tension" or not.

Boolit Master
    Since you asked about the press.... The Lee C press is a good press for tasks that require less leverage(long term). Resizing that brass is better done on something stronger. Any of the O- frame presses will do what you need and most of the turrets. The Lee Classic Cast is highly recommended. And Yes, I have tried some of the others.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Country, I would like to try paper patch, different is good. I will check out both books though.

Troy, just checked out the Classic Cast, I like it looks strong and can be used left handed.

Mt Chambers, I may try the no neck tension fit to see how she likes it.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Another vote for the Lee Classic Cast. More affordable, great primer disposal, ergonomically sound, strong. Will do everything you need to do. If you add Hornady LnL bushing conversion kit, makes the dies quick and easy to change out. Enjoy that rifle, I'd love to have one.

Boolit Master
    I've used fg, ffg, and Swiss 1-½. I have noticed Swiss powder does not like a lot of compression and when elephant powder was around it loved to be compressed. I think my powder compression die was from a company in Montana. Buffalo Arms carries these dies and neck sizers as well as taper crimp dies. Track of the Wolf carries expander dies with plugs from .457 - .462 if memory serves me. I use a 24" drop tube and funnel to pour powder in SLOWLY. I use Walter Wads over the powder charge.

Matthews wrote a few books on blackpowder cartridges and you can buy them at Wolf Publishing out of Prescott, AZ. He wrote one on paper patching also.

I've loaded this cartridge on single stage, progressive, and with homemade tools as MT Chambers stated as well as a hand press such as the HDS Compact and the Lee. I'm left handed also, and most southpaws can be ambidextrous compared to right handed people.

BP cartridge can be cheap or can have as many tools at hand as a front stuffer!

If you can get to Raton, NM for the shoots, walk the benches as see the tools including moulds for this wonderful cartridge. At one time it was THE 1000 yd cartridge.

Have fun!

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    I picked up a RCBS rock chukker from amazon on the cheap and it is my go to press now with almost no run out on loaded rounds. If you use a Lee expander you can get a varity of expanders form TOW as r1kk1 states to try different neck tension and a small one for powder compression.
    Starline brass is the most uniform I have tried in 45-70 and 45-100 but may be short in some chambers.
    As for OAL, push a bullet gently to seat on the rifling and measure form bullet base to where your brass rim would be with your verynear calipers. Add this length to bullet length and you have a starting OAL. Calipers will be most used tool you have.

Boolit Man
    Haven't shot long range in a while, when I did, I slip fit, as in Matthews book. Happy Trails.