Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What HF RED should look like!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.

What HF RED should look like!

OK........people are always slamming HF red on here. Well, it is my go-to powder. I started my path 3 years ago to ESPC and BBDT with it. It coats 100% with BBDT...if you do it the right way, as outlined many times on here by myself and many others (if people would just read!).

Here is what it looks like in a ZipLok screw-on #5 container with 3-4 layers of black ASBB's and a teaspoon of RED powder.......swirled HARD for ~15 seconds and shaken HARD up & down for ~10 seconds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg 
Views:	886 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	156349

RH in my shop was 48% (we had a drizzle all last night). It is normally 15-20%. Temp was 61F. These were right out of the mold about 3 hours prior to BBDT. No "cleaning" with solvents or messing around. No pre-heating. No rubbing the bowl on the cat. No voodoo dances. No holding my mouth right.

Any excess powder is knocked off when I tap the hemostats (best there is for picking them up!) on the rim of the container.

When baked, these have a 100% coverage that is 85-90% the quality of my ESPC finishes. Once thru the sizing die, the drive bands are smooth and shiny on top - just like glass - the important surfaces! Darn good 'nuff for me & my guns!

Never a spec of leading and cleanup (after EVERY range outing) is done with a dab of #9 and no more than 2 cotton patches. Spotless barrels and ABSOLUTELY NO WEAR (like some wrongly claim here and on other venues).

What else can I say. IT DOES WORK.........VERY WELL!

So do Smoke's excellent powders! Those are my 2 standard powders for BBDT and ESPC.

Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year to all!

banger

Boolit Master

I've had good results with HF red also. The problem is that once SWMBO found out she could color cordinate her ammo I was in trouble...My boolits now look like jelly beans!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Grand Master
    OMG! Keep colored boolits away from them!!!!!!!!!!

Boolits and shoes are alike! They never have enough and the colors never match.

banger

Boolit Master
    HF red is hit and miss for me. I have 8 of Smokes powders and they are 100% first time and every time. I was lucky and my first HF red looked just like yours, I am in an always high humidity area I wish I could get the HF red to work all the time for me, but it doesn't. Anybody that tries ASBBDT should try HF red first, because it is cheep. If it doesn't work don't give up. Try Smokes powders, It is still cheaper than lubes. All of my loads are color coded.

Boolit Master
    + 1 about wives and colored boolits. My wife will soon be getting a s&w shield in 9mm and im afraid shes gonna want pink or some odd ball color. Oh well, if it gets her shooting then all the better.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    HF red and Smoke's yellow/green, tumbled:

baked:

another tray:
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    OK........people are always slamming HF red on here. Well, it is my go-to powder. I started my path 3 years ago to ESPC and BBDT with it. It coats 100% with BBDT...if you do it the right way, as outlined many times on here by myself and many others (if people would just read!).
    If people would stop with the improper abbreviations those of us who are very good at reading effective communication but poor at reading poor writing with many improper (what English teacher would accept those?), abbreviations, we may be better at understanding what is intended. "BBTD"? In proper English please. Or, IPWSWTIATOUWAVGARECBPARPWWMIA...

Boolit Master
    Nsidk***tas
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy

It should have read ASBBDT. 😀

Air Soft BB, Dry Tumble. BBDT for short.

Yeah, it takes awhile to learn the abbreviations.

TTYL
    Μολὼν λάβε

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Do not forget the secret handshake and finger touching nose and eye wink BTW decoder ring is now on level 5 sub level 3 UV light needed
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Isn't there a list of abreviations in the stickies ?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by chutesnreloads View Post
    Isn't there a list of abreviations in the stickies ?
    Yeah... but nobody reads the stickies.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oolit-Coatings
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

"Another 'computer generated picture'… Mine looked just like that but when I pulled them out of the oven…my wife was screaming something about the smoke alarm…and the BB's were stuck all over my boolits…whats worse, the tub was stuck to the oven rack…I told her it wasn't my idea, somebody on Cast Boolits said to do it…She started yelling something about me jumping off a bridge…whats that got to do with red boolits in the first place?"

"Merry Christmas all you Brass Stuffers!"

I'm not sure I understand all the 'greatness' of PC'ing if you have to size them anyway after coating. I'm not trying to sound 'Trollish or a smart a**. I truly am curious. The thing I find tedious is the sizing (especially 9mm & small bullets) and if I have to size them after PC, I figure I can fight the lube reservoir also. What am I missing?

What am I missing?………...C O L O R E D B O O L I T S ?

Cleaner gun, no leading, no smoke, no stink, no barrel wear, designer colors, no black snot in your nose when shooting in an indoor range, and not having to fret much about what alloy is in the pot. Haven't used monkey snot lubes since I went to PC and haven't missed it at all.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I'm not sure I understand all the 'greatness' of PC'ing if you have to size them anyway after coating. I'm not trying to sound 'Trollish or a smart a**. I truly am curious. The thing I find tedious is the sizing (especially 9mm & small bullets) and if I have to size them after PC, I figure I can fight the lube reservoir also. What am I missing?
    Lee push through.

Boolit Grand Master
    Those that do not quite understand "the PC thing" need to read the threads in the alt coatings section. All will be revealed.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post

"Another 'computer generated picture'… Mine looked just like that but when I pulled them out of the oven…my wife was screaming something about the smoke alarm…and the BB's were stuck all over my boolits…whats worse, the tub was stuck to the oven rack…I told her it wasn't my idea, somebody on Cast Boolits said to do it…She started yelling something about me jumping off a bridge…whats that got to do with red boolits in the first place?"

"Merry Christmas all you Brass Stuffers!"
    I guess if you call a raw un-retouched photo taken with a digital iPhone6, then yes, it is a "computer generated picture".

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I guess if you call a raw un-retouched photo taken with a digital iPhone6, then yes, it is a "computer generated picture".
    Lighten up Jim….re-read my comments….it was a JOKE.