RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: 416 Rem Mag

Boolit Buddy

416 Rem Mag

I just picked up a remington 700 in 416 rem mag. It seems like it would be a great gun for castboolits. But i find very little info on it. Not hardly any molds that size. There is a rcbs 350gr. I wouldnt hesitate to get a custom Accurate mold. Any experince with this round. I would probably not want to load it to its full potential. I also ended up with about 350 pieces of brass some new some once fired all R-P. It also has a leupold vari-x II 2-7 power on it. I may just sale it, but thought i would ask first.

Bardo

Boolit Master

Well, Bardo, your timing is GOOD!

We have this group buy almost to completion over at NOE: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=1225.0 We're needing ten participants to get this one to production and are currently at nine

It has two crimp grooves to work with the various .416 caliber rounds. Al/Swede is going to offer it with and without gas check, as well as a 2-of-each, 4 cavity combo mold.

The round has the potential to kill on both ends, but if you dial it back a little, you're basically dealing with a middle of the road .45-70, which is no problem to handle in a rifle with modern stock geometry.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Yep, you did good getting one of those rifles along with all that brass and the perfect scope for it! As Bigslug says, it is extremely versatile and useful for just about anything depending on how you load it, especially using cast bullets. That RCBS 350gr. is a good one, and I have no doubt the new NOE one will be also. If you are into paper patching, you can run it to full ballistics and have a trajectory similar to a 180gr. 30-06 factory load, useful to WAY out there. It also works quite well with black powder. The possibilities are wide!

-Nobade

In Remembrance

Bardo. Pull up the Accurate molds webpage and look in their catalog of molds on page 4 or 5 I believe for Tom`s #42 prefix molds for .416 cal. From light to heavy he has something for everybody.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Rigby that really likes cast. I mean as in varmint rifle accurate. From pussycat up to do I really have to shoot this thing again levels. I got some boolits from another member here from 320 gr. up to 425 gr. I really want to kill a pig with it. I suspect it will take all the fight out of about anything.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I just picked up a remington 700 in 416 rem mag. It seems like it would be a great gun for castboolits. But i find very little info on it. Not hardly any molds that size. There is a rcbs 350gr. I wouldnt hesitate to get a custom Accurate mold. Any experince with this round. I would probably not want to load it to its full potential. I also ended up with about 350 pieces of brass some new some once fired all R-P. It also has a leupold vari-x II 2-7 power on it. I may just sale it, but thought i would ask first.

Bardo
    I have a Accurate 350gr mold & the NOE is coming (I hope). 416 is like 375s, usually just plain accurate.

Let me know if you want to sell it.
    Tom

Boolit Master

I have that RCBS mold and it is suburb in my Rigby. I have every reason to believe it would shoot the lights out in that Remington as well. As mentioned the 2-7 scope on it is also ideal. I would love to have that scope on my rifle. You best keep it.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Bardo. Pull up the Accurate molds webpage and look in their catalog of molds on page 4 or 5 I believe for Tom`s #42 prefix molds for .416 cal. From light to heavy he has something for everybody.Robert

My mistake, the #42 molds for .416 start on page 8 of the Accurate catalog. Robert

Boolit Master
    Usually when you find a gun like that, it comes with a box of 20 cartridges with only one fired. I got a .375 H&H like that. The guy said his shoulder hurt so bad, he could hardly drive home from the range.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    Usually when you find a gun like that, it comes with a box of 20 cartridges with only one fired. I got a .375 H&H like that. The guy said his shoulder hurt so bad, he could hardly drive home from the range.
    Never could understand people saying that about the 375 H&H, (others like my 375/338 kick a bit more). It's a push, easy on the shoulder, any 300 Mag "kicks" harder. The straighter the case the more shove, the more overbore, the harder the "kick".

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    Saw a similar deal like this, only it was for a .460 Weatherby Mag. and the shells were factory 500 gr. solids!Robert

Boolit Master
    The first time I took my .416 Rigby to the range I fired 23 rounds of 400 grain factory ammo from the bench. That was more than enough recoil for me. In the future I plan to shoot hand loads with 350 grain cast at less than 2,000 fps mv. TJ

Banned
    Ahh, that's why they invented muzzle breaks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    Ahh, that's why they invented muzzle breaks.
    If you need one of those you're shooting too much gun.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    With the heavy thumpers use cross sticks. Get used to shooting on cross sticks and when you go hunting it is a natural rest your well experienced with. I weigh 150 pounds and shoot 375 H&H on cross sticks with no issues. Shoot my 12 gauge with RB at 1500 fps off sticks.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    If you need one of those you're shooting too much gun.
    nope just smart

Boolit Buddy
    Well i sold it. I made quite a bit of money on the deal. I would of kept it other then i just got a marlin 45-70. And really both arnt real practicle for where and how i hunt. But i have a soft spot for leveractions. To often i need to take a 350 yard shot with 5 minutes of light left. Hunting high desert with lots of sage brush and heavy winds has got its chalenges and slow boolits with low BC dont help. Now i have to sale about 200 pieces of brass for the 416 rem. And about 140 400 gr solids.

Bardo

Banned
    You didn't contact me about buying it. Dam.