Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin .44 mag feedback please

Boolit Master

Marlin .44 mag feedback please

I'm strongly considering a Marlin chambered in 44 Mag. I know of the 1:38 twist rate but doubt it'll be a problem. My heaviest 44 mag mold drops a 320gr flat point boolit, which should stabilize if velocity is high enough.

My local shop has one for $650. Good price? Guy behind the counter said he rarely gets them in chambered in 44 mag.

Thanks for any info
    Last edited by tja6435; 10-21-2015 at 05:10 PM.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master

Marlin did not make many 44 magnums in the 1895 action, part of
    the reason was that they had problems with it feeding poorly, it tended to jam sometimes.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Which Marlin for the OP, a 336 or a 1894?
    I have a 336T (straight stock ) in .44Mag which I'll never part with; it has been completely reliable and is unusually accurate.

Boolit Master
    Sorry, it was a 1894 action. It's new on the rack at the local gun shop

Boolit Master
    I had one years ago.. had poor luck w/ accuracy w/ cast bullets, as the groove diameter was so large. As I understand it you need .432"+ bullets to obtain decent accuracy with it. It's not easy to find a mold that casts them that large and you need to get a custom sizer die as Lyman & RCBS don't make one that large (you could hone one out). I have a USRA 94 and it shoots better but still not as good as I think that it should. Both use a 1 in 38" twist... a 1 in 20" would be far better. However they do shoot well with Jacketed bullets...which I refuse to use.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the large groove info. Most of my .44 molds cast at .433-.435. I had Buckshot make me a couple Lyman style dies for my old 45 that'll do .432 and .433. My Redhawk has .4325" throats so I have been casting/sizing .433" for it recently. Sounds like they'll be perfect for the Marlin's barrel

Moderator Emeritus

If it's new, then it's one of the Remington made rifles. A friend has one of the Remington made .44's and says it's the most accurate .44 Magnum rifle he's ever owned, and he owns several. I don't know the diameter of the Remington barrels, but they have a reputation for making accurate barrels.

I looked at a new one at The Sportsman's Warehouse in Salem, OR, this past Saturday. The fit and finish were pretty good, better than my older Marlin .44 Magnum rifle. The stock was a plain oil finish, and the bluing was very good. If I had been in need of a new .44 Magnum leveraction, I would have bought it.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

The groove diameter on the 44 mag rifles is a SAAMI thing, not a Marlin thing. .431 for rifles and .429 for handguns. I don't know why it is that way, but it is. It makes for a lot of work if you want to shoot the same cast bullet out of your rifle and handgun.
    I tried 300gr bullets out of my Marlin but couldn't get acceptable accuracy. I chose the Ranch Dog 265gr mold for all my 44 mag needs. I size them to .433 and they work well out of both my Marlin and Ruger Super Blackhawk.

I see you are in Denver, There are a couple used JM Marlins on the local Armslist for about $600.

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

Boolit Master

The Micro-groove barrels are large. I have some commercial cast boolits that are accurate in my Micro-groove barrel.
    New gun should have a regular barrel.
    I like the size and weight of the rifle. With my old eyes I need a scope which the Marlin makes it easy to mount. Some Levers are difficult to add a scope.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an older JM stamped 1894 marlin. I havent had the time to try cast boolits in it yet, but the 240 grain berrys plated with 10 grains of unique is a soft shooting load. I have been looking at Henry's big boy steel frame to fill my imagined need for a 357 lever gun.

Boolit Master
    Have a 1894 Marlin that I got in the 70's. Shoots anything up to and including 265 gr Hornady bullets just fine. Throws 270 gr Gold Dots to the right. Have tried anything heavier. Also it limits the length of cast bullets the will work through the magazine. Most of my SWC cast projectiles are more than 1.7" in overall length. The standard max COL is 1.610" Gun will that longer than that but not 1.7" . You may have trouble feeding 320 gr bullets.

Boolit Mold
    i got a model 94s and that rifle never let me down. it shoot 310gr. Lee under 2" at 100 yards. mine feed bullet of 1.710" lon g with no problem. i shot multiple whitetail and mules with it up to 150 yds.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    $650.00 seems high, my local shop has them for $569.95. Be sure to look it over before you buy it. Remlin has improved alot but they still have some nagging defects such as barrels canted to the left.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Vendor Sponsor

Mine seems to like Lyman 429244's with GC's sized .431. which is what the bore is. My 1894 CB 24" is circa 2005. I have a new Mihec mould for that boolit that drops at .434 so future boolits will be sized to .432, and they are 265 gr SWC's.

In order to feed smoothly you need to chamfer the rear edge of your chamber or the boolits will dig into the edges. This is a Thompson SWC and the nose is nicely tapered so they do feed well. There isn't as much of a step as a Keith boolit has.

Using 22.0 gr of H110. This is a nice manageable load I am shooting Short Range Silhouette with.

Nice recoil pad comes in handy for a 40 round string.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    I'm strongly considering a Marlin chambered in 44 Mag. I know of the 1:38 twist rate but doubt it'll be a problem. My heaviest 44 mag mold drops a 320gr flat point boolit, which should stabilize if velocity is high enough.

My local shop has one for $650. Good price? Guy behind the counter said he rarely gets them in chambered in 44 mag.

Thanks for any info
    All of my Marlins, both Deluxe and Cowboy models, all stabilize up to 300grs without a problem. I also cast everything for all half dozen rifles at .430, but then I cast very soft, 8 parts WW's to 2 parts pure lead. I'm sure they upset nicely since my leading, up to 1750fps is nonexistent. I've taken so much game with .44's, both rifle and pistol over the past almost 40 years, it's mind boggling.

Is $650 a good price? Not sure, since the last CB I bought was only $425. That was about 10 years ago or so. If you want it bad enough and are willing to pay that price, it's a good price.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    I saw a JM stamped 1894 in 44 mag at Cabelas about a month ago. Looked to be new. It was on close out for $699.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Buddy
    I looked at two new 94s in 44mag. One at Sportsman's and one at Cabelas. They both had acceptable fit, and the actions felt ok. My problem with them was the fat fore end with its squared off 2x4 front.

Boolit Grand Master

This was a timely thread. Been looking at them myself.

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	152013

Marlin 1894 .44 mag 100 yards with a 225 grain Hornady FTX
    I pulled the second shot and was out of ammo after the third or I would have put two more in there.
    1-38 twist and extremely accurate.

Boolit Master
    Thanks all. Finally have funds available but still considering a Marlin 44 against a Ruger 77/44. I have a 77/357 and find it fantastic to shoot (after the target hammer and sear upgrade and bolt shimming)