Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credit card security breach

Credit card security breach

Today I got a call from my bank about some fraudulent activity with my credit card ( happened today ) and they put a stop on the card because it was a place I would not be dealing with. My last transactions were with places I have dealt with several times except one, a bullet mould maker. I don't want to name them because I don't know if they or an employee had anything to do with it. I'm just curious if anyone else has had anything similar happen.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Never had an issue w/ bullet mold maker but car rental place - yeah
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Had an issue with a gas station pump reader once....and had the local Harbor Freight double charge me. Both got resolved with no charge to me. Really, anyplace that you used the card at could misuse it.

Had a similar situation about a month ago on a brand new replacement card that was near expiration. Got a call (while hunting actually) that there were suspicious charges in another part of the state, and sure enough there were two fraudulent charges. Had to shut it down and get a replacement. Between this and my IRS refund getting defrauded, I'm beginning to believe our digital lives are completely out of control.

Boolit Master
    My business card was compromised at the processor no the vendor. Just got my replacement today.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Wife had one of her cards "stolen" by bogus scanner at a grocery store and we were hit with $12K of charges. Card covered everything! People that made the bogus cards were on several store videos, FBI got them, and they are now serving lots of years in the big house. It was a group of illegals from Mexico. Gotta love those open borders liberals.

Just watch your accounts to catch stuff like that early. They gave us LifeLock for free. And I have 2 different cc protection plans now.

Boolit Master
    The card companies are running software to catch unauthorized charges. For me they ramped it up about this time last year and I had my Thanksgiving Dinner declined by both Visa And Mastercard. It wasn't a problem as I has cash to cover but I don't depend on cards anymore. That happened in Phoenix where I go several times a year but since they just started tracking....... It's happened several times since where my card was declined. I had them attach my cell number to the account and I get an automated call a half hour later asking about charges. PITA but I'm what the card companies call a Dead Beat, pay off the card in full and take the 1% cash back. Hard to complain about Free.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

It's possible that someone used an RFID scanner on your card while it was in your wallet.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    I have my two main cards set up with minimums that trigger an email and text to me if a purchase exceeds that amount. Before I can get my card back in my wallet after a store scan, my phone is going off!!!!!! Works great if your card offers that.

I also pay off all 3 cards every month and get that 3% or so cash! NICE! Do auto pay for all your monthly bills with a cc and get tons of money back every year!

There IS more than one way to catch a thief! And get FREE money!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Did you ask what the fraudulent charges were? You have the right to know. I don't sweat this type of thing anymore. The only inconvenience is waiting for a new card.

I was hit due to the Target breach. But it was months after it happened. Someone placed a few small purchases at a convenience store. And then tried to buy $5k in plane tickets. The bank shut my card down immediately which prevented me from buying lunch that day. I had a new card three days later. I check my balances a few times a week to reconcile all the accounts so I catch any unauthorized charges they don't.

Boolit Grand Master
    I knew EXACTLY what the charges were and where they occurred within a few hours. Card company was very cooperative, as well as local & county law enforcement, and the FBI. Had a new card within 24 hours by FEDEX.

You won't believe it but they stopped the card when it was used on ....... Christian Mingle .com, kind of funny if it wasn't so annoying. And it was only for $2 then $46 I'm thinking it wasn't "organized crime" .

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master

Credit cards are the most secure way to buy anything. Much better than cash. Lose a credit card, won't cost you a thing. Lose cash, it is gone. You can dispute charges with credit cards, can't do this with anything else. I love them. Of course I don't misuse them or carry a balance.

Moderator Emeritus

Walmart was hacked a few times and they got my info. Walmart refused to have law enforcement involved. Thief tried to pick up a few Ipads, etc.. They knew the time he was scheduled to pick them up and refused to contact authorities. I don't use Walmart.com anymore.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    You won't believe it but they stopped the card when it was used on ....... Christian Mingle .com, kind of funny if it wasn't so annoying. And it was only for $2 then $46 I'm thinking it wasn't "organized crime" .
    They usually make a few small charges first. Each one is progressively higher. Then they usually make a large purchase. May not be an organized group but could be someone that was testing the waters.

Boolit Buddy
    i had someone use my DL for renting tools in Los Angeles Home Depot, they did not return the tools. Funny, when I was in mexico a few months earlier the cops there refused to give me my DL back after a traffic stop.

One morning last week about 6 AM I checked my email. At 4:51 AM I was sent an email from Amazon confirming I changed my email address. NOT! At 4:52 AM Amazon had sent another email confirming I changed my password. NOT!
    I went to Amazon and my greeting was changed from Hello:Robert, it said Hello: Lmao. I called customer service and they said they would freeze my account. Before that happened, 2 different sets of goofy pajamas showed up in my cart, along with a matching pair of goofy slippers along with the 3 cordless drills I had placed there so I could compare them. I was using the same password I opened my Amazon account with years ago. Amazon rep said even if the thief would have tried to make the order, Amazon would not have permitted shipment. Lesson learned: Change passwords often and make them more intricate.

Boolit Buddy
    Last year my Cabellas card was hit, they called me and the transaction was halted and the card cancelled. Great deal, but what I didn't think about was all the direct deposit form the card like Direct TV cut off service, insurance cancelled. No problem cause they were nice and took my excuse that the card was cancelled and I'd not made arrangements with them with the new card. All the folks like MidwayUSA, Amazon to name a few had to be contacted. Be sure that if your card is cancelled call the direct deposit folks and change the number with your companies, all understood but it sure made me look and feel bad.

Boolit Master
    When we filed our last income tax last year when our book keeper tried to file it, it would not work. Seems someone sent in a fake income tax form and got back 8k and had received a refund. We went to the IRS and they were very helpful in sorting this out. Frank

Boolit Master

My wife and I were told that now that the major credit card people have these little chips embedded, our cards would be much safer. So my wife contacts USAA about a new Master Card. They sent us one with the chip AND a strip just like the old one. So someone can ignore the chip and read the strip. Really intelligent thinking on their part.
    OleJack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.