Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Navy Commander to be charged for shooting at Chattanooga terrorist

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    Story sounds fishy to me.
    I found only one story on the Navy Times site and it stated "It's also unclear why they were armed, as it is against Defense Department policy for anyone other than military police or law enforcement to carry weapons on federal property."
    It doesn't say it was a crime, only that it was against policy.
    Theres nothing on the site about charges being filed against Lt Commander White.

There were Marines and Navy Corpsmen there checking in equipment from a training exercise. Perhaps the handguns had been used in the exercise.

The story seems to originate from a text message, not a very reliable source.
    When I was in, I was ALWAYS armed, and so were many in my unit, but it was with the understanding that it may have repercussions if things went bad. The repercussions, as explained to us, were that this specific DOD reg was unconstitutional, so our punishment if caught would be to spend three days in the brig for getting caught, at the end of which, we would be given our weapon back and instructed to not get caught again. Seems to me like either I was really lucky with the command I was with, or things have changed A LOT and I am glad to have gotten out before they went this far down hill.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

I didn't read the entire thread to save my nerves as it is getting close to bedtime. I'm hoping the charges against the Navy officer is an internet hoax. If discharging a firearm on federal property is a crime how is it that thousands of deer and elk hunters discharge their rifles in National Forests??

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Wow. This is just beyond comprehension for me.

As an aside, and pardon my ignorance, but what presidents HAVE NOT been in the military?

War is war, domestic or abroad. This soldier should be touted as a hero, not a criminal.
    IIRC starting with Ike every president was a part of our military up till SLICK Willie (who fled to Canada then England) took office,and our FEAR less one who apologizes to the rest of the world because we even exist.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    As an aside, and pardon my ignorance, but what presidents HAVE NOT been in the military?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...litary_service
    Barak Obama
    NONE

Bill Clinton
    None. Signed agreement to join Reserve Officer Training Corps atUniversity of Arkansas during Vietnam War.[2] Subsequently withdrew and entered draft, but received high draft number and was not drafted.
    [3]

Franklin D. Roosevelt
    None; Assistant Secretary of the Navy in World War I. Attempted to resign in order to enter uniformed service, but resignation not accepted. Visited France as part of Navy Department duties to observe military activities first hand.

Herbert Hoover
    None; helped guide US Marines in 1900 during the
    Boxer Rebellion.

Calvin Coolidge
    NONE

Warren G. Harding
    NONE

Woodrow Wilson
    NONE

Grover Cleveland
    Paid George Benninsky $150 to take his place after Cleveland was drafted during
    Civil War under Conscription Act of 1863.

Martin Van
    Buren

None; as State Senator during War of 1812 worked to pass war measures, including bills to expand New York militia and increase soldier pay. Special Judge Advocate appointed to aid in prosecutingWilliam Hull at Hull's court-martial after surrender of
    Detroit.

John Quincy Adams
    None; however he was a witness to Battle of Bunker Hill in 1775 and reportedly was a non-participant in a Naval Battle between a British ship and a US ship he was on with his father during the American Revolution.

John Adams
    Adams served as chairman of the Continental Congress's Board of War (1776–1777), making him the simultaneous equivalent of today's Secretary of Defense and Chairman of Senate Armed Services Committee; was a semi-participant in a naval engagement between a British and US ship during the American Revolution.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I found only one story on the Navy Times site and it stated "It's also unclear why they were armed, as it is against Defense Department policy for anyone other than military police or law enforcement to carry weapons on federal property."
    Theres nothing on the site about charges being filed against Lt Commander White.

There were Marines and Navy Corpsmen there checking in equipment from a training exercise. Perhaps the handguns had been used in the exercise.

When I saw the story the day of the story, I knew his career was over under this regime. The good news is that as a LCDR he can stay till 20 years and get his retirement.

Boolit Master
    It would be strange if the major print and broadcasting news media aren't soon quotable on such a charge, in which you would expect both the commander's supporters and enemies to be interested. But suppose it did happen the way it is described...

The man figured in no terrorist database, had been arrested but apparently not convicted for drinking and driving like any on this board, was a US citizen and had fired at windows. There was plenty of evidence to support recent clinical depression. It seems he was coming from his car, and was fired at by the commander, from inside with a personally owned gun he wasn't entitled to have there.

There exists the possibility that the commander saw a hairy Arab, possibly glimpsed a gun for which the man could have had a permit, and isn't obliged to conceal in Tennessee, and started shooting. There is no question that if he knew the man was going to kill several people, that would be the least of all evils. But a back door, a high security front door or someone officially armed on the premises, aren't any more hypothetical than some things we have heard.

Equally though, he could have been left with a wounded man who might have said "I'm deeply ashamed of what I did fifteen minutes before. It's such a relief to know I escaped committing manslaughter! But then he started shooting, and I panicked... I don't know what came over me."

Never mind the possibility, surely very slim, that he actually was as innocent and misunderstood as his lawyer would make him out to be. He could have been everything anyone on this board thinks he is, and yet been handed the opportunity to get out when he said "Thanks to all this wonderful therapy I feel a lot better now."

I still think it would be more appropriate for the commander to be taken aside and told "Only luck got you out of big trouble." But on the real evidence so far, may be that is all that happened.

Boolit Master
    Rather than merely wringing our hands about this situation, DO SOMETHING about it! I just called my US senator's office and insisted that he STOP this foolishness. While I have my doubts if my one phone call will result in anything positive happening, at least I made it.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    UPDATE: Navy Spokesman Denies ANY Charges Against Navy Lt. Commander #Chattanooga

http://allenwestrepublic.com/2015/08...r-chattanooga/

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/8/2...y-Changes.aspx

Several news outlets, including this one, jumped on a report by national columnist Allen West on Saturday that stated he was enraged after he had confirmed that LTC White, who drew his personal sidearm in the July 16 terrorist attack on a Navy Reserve Center in Chattanooga, would face a reprimand and could possibly be court marshaled.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

IMHO I think someone realized the Dung storm this would create and backed down.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Buddy
    He'll Probably have a great JAG on his side. Hopefully nothing comes off it since most trials have a panel of other officers who hopefully would have done the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    It would be strange if the major print and broadcasting news media aren't soon quotable on such a charge, in which you would expect both the commander's supporters and enemies to be interested. But suppose it did happen the way it is described...

The man figured in no terrorist database, had been arrested but apparently not convicted for drinking and driving like any on this board, was a US citizen and had fired at windows. There was plenty of evidence to support recent clinical depression. It seems he was coming from his car, and was fired at by the commander, from inside with a personally owned gun he wasn't entitled to have there.

There exists the possibility that the commander saw a hairy Arab, possibly glimpsed a gun for which the man could have had a permit, and isn't obliged to conceal in Tennessee, and started shooting. There is no question that if he knew the man was going to kill several people, that would be the least of all evils. But a back door, a high security front door or someone officially armed on the premises, aren't any more hypothetical than some things we have heard.

Equally though, he could have been left with a wounded man who might have said "I'm deeply ashamed of what I did fifteen minutes before. It's such a relief to know I escaped committing manslaughter! But then he started shooting, and I panicked... I don't know what came over me."

Never mind the possibility, surely very slim, that he actually was as innocent and misunderstood as his lawyer would make him out to be. He could have been everything anyone on this board thinks he is, and yet been handed the opportunity to get out when he said "Thanks to all this wonderful therapy I feel a lot better now."

I still think it would be more appropriate for the commander to be taken aside and told "Only luck got you out of big trouble." But on the real evidence so far, may be that is all that happened.
    Can someone help me with how the ignore function works?
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    When I was in, I was ALWAYS armed, and so were many in my unit, but it was with the understanding that it may have repercussions if things went bad. The repercussions, as explained to us, were that this specific DOD reg was unconstitutional, so our punishment if caught would be to spend three days in the brig for getting caught, at the end of which, we would be given our weapon back and instructed to not get caught again. Seems to me like either I was really lucky with the command I was with, or things have changed A LOT and I am glad to have gotten out before they went this far down hill.
    I have to call bull**** on this as well. Can you provide unit designations and service periods?
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    I have to call bull**** on this as well. Can you provide unit designations and service periods?
    Tony
    Anthony B.....I can't speak for anyone else but I served in the US Army Reserves from 71-77. We were a MP POW Camp. I was a working LEO as were a lot of the unit members. We all (LEO's) carried during drills and meetings that were held in our state and also in other states that had reciprocal concealed carry laws with Michigan. My unit's commander had full knowledge of this and carried himself. (He was a Detroit PD ofc.)
    I have no idea what the army regs. were regarding this but since my General didn't mind, neither did I.

Use of personal gun. Never had trouble carrying a locked & loaded carbine on the pier, fed property. Actually given a L&L carbine with orders to shoot anyone entering the building on mid-watch. Normally we had to 'challenge' suspect persons.
    Last edited by popper; 08-03-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    Whatever!

Anyone know how much trouble this Commander is actually in?
    Back in the 1970's. My brother was busted for having a hand gun in the trunk of his car while on an East Coast Navy base.
    He stood Captains Mast. Captain ask him how much the pistol was worth. Then ruled that to be the fine and confiscated the hand gun as payment. Brother was promoted one enlisted grade not to long after. President at that time would of been Nixon or Ford.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Rick Hodges:
    71-77 in Army Reserves I can understand. Not so much the post 9-11 years when everyone went bat*** security crazy.
    Tony

Rick Hodges:
    LEOs also have different rules on federal posts than enlisted/officers.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    True, but as reservists we were both...civilian pd and army ofcs. and enlisted. In the "Old Days" when off duty we were required to carry...as LEO's. It was also very difficult for non Leo's to get a carry permit. I have no idea what the rules are in Tenn. but my understanding was that the center that was attacked was a reserve training center. In either case I am glad that someone was able to at least mount an armed resistance the the Jihadist.

Boolit Master

The UCMJ, which is law for the military does make his having a personal weapon illegal. Though using a weapon in self defense may help him because I don't think you can be charged for having the gun in that situation, but that is State law, the other Federal.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    Tony
    I won't provide specifics, but Ready Reaction Forces (RRF) have been around for some time, I can personally verify they existed back in the 80's and today. But its the rest of us with a CCP that should also be allowed to carry, along with those troops that are not located within a base.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!