Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee alox for 223 ar15

Lee alox for 223 ar15

HI ALL, I have an ar15 1 in 7 twist Yankee hill varmint barrel. can I use lee alox on 70 grain gas check boolit?
    also I have been shooting mill surp 55 gr and my groups suck
    I loaded 63 gr fmj armscor with 24.5 gr varget (lee lowest power) groups suck
    loaded them at 22 gr varget groups suck
    loaded speer 70gr varmint 23.5gr varget (lee lowest power) awsom group. one hole at 50 yd 2" at 100yd
    I read that people shoot those lighter heads well in a 1 in 7 twist and I am stuck with 1000 63 grain fmj boolits
    any ideas on how to get them to shoot better?

I don't know about shoot better but you could probably do some swapping at the next gun show. Have read that fmj bullets can have very inconsistent bases when the lead shows. Some with lead up inside the jacket and some it sticks out, making for funky groups. Might be worth looking at them to see if that is the case with yours. Nothing I can vouch for based on experience but it seemed like it might apply.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Not sure but I think a 55g needs a 1 in 8 or 9 twist.

Boolit Master
    I use LLA on my 55 grain gas checked bullets. They shoot straight and leave no fouling. But the gas tube on my rifle plugs up with lead fouling after 100 shots, unfortunately. I have idly thought about running a patch with some bore paste down the bore and trying to work it around the gas port. I figure there has to be a sharp edge on the far side of the port that just needs to be deburred. But I have never got around to it. If only there were an easy way to chamfer that edge. Then again, I have never plugged the tube with copper fouling, so maybe that's a dead end.

Skip the LLA. It will blow back. It tends to really make a mess on the internals of the bolt, especially the gas rings and boat-tail. It will work but be prepared to detail strip and clean after shooting.

Concerning your use of the j-words sometimes you have to play around with your charges. By increasing them you might get better results, scene you started at the lowest recommend charge from your manual. If you can't get them to shoot better send me apm, I might be interested in them. Now as far as cast I don't have a 55gn mold. To help you out. Most seem to be powdecoating either spray or tumble lube to get best results, but that's another cost.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

I'm wondering about this myself. I have a S&W MP15 sport I'm planning on shooting some GC'd RCBS 55 GRN SP's. I've harden the boolits up pretty good with a lino mix. I originally used the Lee Alox but after crimping the GC's with the lee sizing die it scrapped of the alox around the sides of the boolit. What do people recommend, re-alox or lube?
    - detroitcharlie

~ Freedom isn't free, it's fought for. ~

Boolit Master

Use BLL; it will not even be visible if done right (one coat).

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Use BLL; it will not even be visible if done right (one coat).
    Ben's Liquid Lube? Alrighty, thanks for the recommendation!
    - detroitcharlie

Boolit Master

It's a fantastic lube. I cast .225 and copper GC along with BLL. I haven't had any Leading to date.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    It's a fantastic lube. I cast .225 and copper GC along with BLL. I haven't had any Leading to date.
    Can you post the recipe or the link to it?

Thanks
    - detroitcharlie

Great thanks! I'm gonna try sizing and lubing with RED and then coating with BLL and see what happens.
    - detroitcharlie

Boolit Grand Master

BLL is easy and works great. One bottle of the wax will last many thousands of boolits. I have not tried it on higher velocity stuff but there are a few threads on here with guys that have.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum