RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: age of boolet caster's

Boolit Buddy

66 and been casting 50 years.

Boolit Master

61 and been casting for maybe 20, reloading for 40, and shooting for 55 years - and been thinking about retiring an awful lot lately.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Master
    Age:55; reloading and casting 42 yrs but I didn't know didly about casting until I

found this forum two years ago. Two sons: 26 and 23, both shooters but haven't

shown interest in reloading/casting yet; also one daughter (21) who brought

two girlfriends in with her from college last week. A friend and i took 'em out to

shoot clays and .22 rimfires; they actually seemed to enjoy it!

Boolit Mold
    55 just retired (Thank God!) been and casting for 35 years. My oldest boy (former Army Sgt) hunted with me since he was 5, he won the Hawkie Award at Ft Jackson, spent a year in Afghanistan (and surrounding states) I ask him if all the years of came in handy, he gave me a stone cold look and said " I'm alive, healthy and talking to you..... and thanks, I wouldn't be here if you hadn't taken me and hunting. my other boys also shoot and hunt with the youngest the caster (loves "his yugo" 8mm) and can form, trim (from 06 cases) and reload a box in and hour. One of youngest daughters loves to shoot everything 22 to 308 &, 38spl to 45acp and 44mag and is a darn good shot!

Boolit Master
    68 Retired Military! Ten years Navy. Twelve years Air Force. Handloading since 1962 Casting for pistol since 1977 and for rifle only about three years. Al Miller of Handloader Magazine got me interested but since discovering this forum about a year ago I have learned more than in all the previous years. Five grandsons. All shooters. Three hunters. Grand daughter will shoot them as fast as I can provide ammo. Retired to SW ND in 1993. Hunters Heaven! Only one problem. State Tree is the telephone pole! Sure miss that squirrel hunting! Neil

61 and retired.hand loading and shooting 35+ years.

35, been casting a few months now.... Thanks CFI

Updated through post #167

Age.....Number
    -------------------------------------
    20-25...XXX
    26-30...XXXXXXXXXXX
    31-35...XXXXXXX
    36-40...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    41-45...XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    46-50...XXXXXXXXXXXX
    51-55...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    56-60...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    61-65...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    66-70...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    71-75...XXXX
    76-80...X

I will turn 61 the 16th. Started reloading with a lee loader for 38 spl. that was a gift.35 plus years ago, now use a dillon 650 and rock chucker. Bill

Boolit Bub
    68 - too soon 69
    Born lucky - into a family that liked shooting and hunting so very early start.
    Reloading since early 60's and casting since early 70's.
    Son: X-Army MP (Airborne) - Grandson: Army Armour in Iraq.

Boolit Grand Master

56 and retired. Always been interested in guns. Reloading for 33 years, casting for 26. Two adult boys that like to hunt and reload, but you know how busy young people are these days.
    Wish my dad would have let me buy those military guns in the fiber barrels back in the 60s'!.

I started casting for a 58 cal musket when I was 15 years old, I will be 70 this September.

52 now. Semi retired.
    Started casting for muzzle loaders and cap & ball revolver in 1971.
    Recently been trying to retail boolits to stir up a little cash flow around here.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by caspertattoo View Post
    35, been casting a few months now.... Thanks CFI
    Welcome aboard. Always remember, you will save a lot of money hanging around here. Really. No, really. I'm not foolin'. Really... Well, at least you will be able to shot a lot more, for the same money. Just beware group buys. They are addictive!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

It's not just anti-gunners, society is changing.

Quote Originally Posted by 8mmshooter View Post
    I have noticed that most shooter's and boolit casters at my local gun club seem to be around my age -mid to late 50's or so it seems. I'm worried that our shooting, casting, and hunting hobbies are being erroded by the anti-gunners. Is my perception being skewed by my age or do you feel that I am correct in my perception? I noticed a few years back that my daughter came home from school and announced that she felt that" guns were bad." I asked her where she got that perception and she said " from her teacher at school." I was proud that before I could answer my wife of 35 years answered her with " guns aren't the problem. They are tools that can be used for hunting,recreation and bring enjoyment to many. Bad and irresponsible people cause the problems." Now my wife doesn't particullarly follow my hobby of collecting old military rifles and she can hardly tell one rifle or handgun from the other. Sometimes that is a good thing as it is easier to convince her that I really need another gun or another mold or some other related device. I guess I am getting long winded here; but can some one set up a poll as to how others perceive my observations? For my curiosities sake? I am computer challenged but learning. Thanks: 8mmshooter
    Good question! And complex answers... First off, I'm 47. I have two girls, a 13 & 16 year old that live with their mother back on the East coast.
    Your perception that we're "aging" is probably right on, but I am seeing youinger blood coming into thhis hobby which is good.
    Other hobbies are suffering as well: The age of Ham Radio operators is steadily climbing, and service groups/clubs/organizations (like the Masons, Red Men, your local rock or coin club) are also graying. I had one 75 year old Mason tell me that he loes going to his meetings, as he's greeted by "how are you doing today, young fellow?". He explained that the treasurer is 95 years old...
    Society is regrettably changing (and not for the better). Kids are being dumbed down by schools, TV and other media are working their poison, and they are now much sedentary than kids in the past.
    Useless diversions like video games and TV are the rule, and instant gratification is becoming ingrained into society.
    The kids could just care less about doing anything that requires much effort or investment of time. It's so sad.
    No, it's not irreversible, but we have to take the bull by the horns and turn this around.
    Just my two cents worth.

-Tom

Boolit Buddy

55 and proud of it

reloading for 12 years..have yet to cast my first boolit tho I have made ingots.
    have a son 27, who's been reloading and shooting as long as I have.

Boolit Grand Master

Mid Life

51 years old for a few more months. Reloading for 30 years, casting about 5.
    Ever since prices started going up at a much faster pace.

Shiloh

Been casting since the early 70's FIL owned a tire store and we had a family plumbing Bus. need I say more.

Boolit Master

58 and wanting to retire yesterday.

Skeet1

Boolit Master

I'm 54 and been casting off and on for 30 years. I teach engineering and technology courses at a public university in southern Indiana. Most of the students in our program are pretty conservative (engineers and technical people tend to be that way) although their opinions are as varied as any other group of folks that age. Most of the rural kids are hunters and/or farmers and shooters.

I show bullet casting in materials and manufacturing classes as a demonstration of a type of casting process and reloading as a demonstration of a manufacturing process. I also try to arrange to meet some of them at a local indoor range and pay the range fee and supply the ammo (most college kids don't have a lot of extra cash) for their guns if I can.

A lot of kids would shoot and reload and cast if they had someone to show them how and teach them the proper way to go about it.

I've also talked a couple of other professors into going to the range and I supply the range fee, guns, ammo, and safety equipment. It doesn't cost much and I consider it an investment in the future of our sport and our rights.

Yeah , there is a liberal streak in academia. I can't change the whole world, but I can change it one person at a time. And have a lot of fun in the process.