Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone bought a mould from NEI?

Boolit Master

Anyone bought a mould from NEI?

Has anyone had any dealings with NEI Handtools for a boolit mould? I sent a money order for a mould early March which they said would take about 3 weeks. I called in April and was told next week. Called again mid May and was told I would receive it next week. Still no mould. Should I kiss my money good-by?

Larry

Boolit Master
    I bought an aluminum 4 cavity mold many years ago....just after Walt had died. The mold is fine but it was the wrong mold. I didn't even tell them. I may find a use for it yet.... I really can't remember how long it took to get it, but it was several months.

I feel your pain as I paid for 3 molds in November '14 and am still waiting ( no, not NEI). A lot of promises and problems but still no molds. As Shakespeare would say, " God, why do they mock poor fellows thus?"

Dale

Boolit Master

Larry - you will likely get the mold some day, keep after them. I would not buy from them today, but I used lots of Walt's molds back in his day.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    IMHO.....the current molds are not machined as well as before, I stopped ordering from them because of so many great mold makers around now ie: NOE, LBT, Accurate, MM, and excellent production molds from RCBS, Saeco, Lyman, etc.

Since Walt died I've had some older blocks recut with satisfactory results.
    Haven't made any new purchases.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    With the affordability and fast delivery of truly precision lathe-bored molds from Accurate, HM2, NOE and LBT, I cannot understand why anyone would even consider buying a new cherry-cut mold based on 19th Century machining methods.

RCBS, Lyman, Saeco etc. cost the same as an Accurate or NOE mold, but their quality does not even some close.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

go to the search function and type in NEI Mould. Here are some examples that could have saved you some trouble. (I'm not picking on you, it's for the edification of the next guy.)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...0478-NEI-Molds

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ith-NEI-Moulds

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-any-problems

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...choices-please
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    With the affordability and fast delivery of truly precision lathe-bored molds from Accurate, HM2, NOE and LBT, I cannot understand why anyone would even consider buying a new cherry-cut mold based on 19th Century machining methods.

RCBS, Lyman, Saeco etc. cost the same as an Accurate or NOE mold, but their quality does not even some close.
    I thought NOE cut some of their molds with cherries? Anyway, I know the MP molds are cut with cherries and their quality is fully the equal to any of the other custom mold makers. I've never owned a Saeco but I do own four RCBS molds and they are quite good.

I have three MP brass molds, more aluminum NOE than I can reliably list, and two Mountain Molds (one brass, one Al). Some are bored, some cherry cut. All are fantastic. To me the guy running the tool matters a lot more than the technique they are using.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

To me the guy running the tool matters a lot more than the technique they are using.

how true

Boolit Master

Well, I finally got my NEI mould. Anyone that complains of the quality of LEE moulds should buy one from NEI, then they would really have something to complain about. I have not cast with it yet, too many burrs every where including the cavities. The sprue plate looks like a piece of cold-roll steel that has not been ground flat. The sprue hole has so many chatter in the cut it will never release the sprue. There are no vent lines which may not be needed but the burrs around the cavities will not allow the blocks to close all of the way. All edges and corners are sharp as a knife on the blocks.
    If a machinist made this mould they need to go back to school. I will not return the mould. I can fix it including a new sprue plate. If it does not cast a good boolit then trash can!
    Please do not tell me that I should have bought a NOE mould instead. I have almost as many NOE moulds as I do Lyman or RCBS. I read an article aboul cast bullets and they mentioned NEI moulds so I thought I would give them a try. BIG MISTAKE.

Larry

bhn22
    They're just livin' off the old mans reputation.

Boolit Master
    The old man (Walt, rest his soul) produced very fine molds and was very educational to talk with. I am sorry his legacy has fallen on hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Boolit Buddy
    The best mold I ever used was an old NEI from the 80's. It was miss marked as a 228 45 mold but is a 255 gr round nose. I don't use it any more as I have no use for one that heavy. In thirty years I have never had any gauling, never lubed it and it cast great bullets every time.

I have some older NEI molds and they are of really good quality and cast very nice. The threads here on CB have made sure I do not order or buy any current NEI molds.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 NEI 4 cavity molds from the 1980's a 9mm & .45 both still cast great boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    I have only one NEI mould, an aluminum 4cav .314 165gr with a DD (Dimensional Detail) band on the nose. Fortunately, I got this mould while Walt was still alive and making the moulds himself and it's an excellent mould that still casts beautiful, if somewhat odd looking, boolits. But while the DD band makes the boolit look strange, it shoots accurately from my Mini Mark X in 7.62X39 with a slugged barrel diameter of .312. Too bad the quality has gone down so badly since Walt's passing ....

sleeper1428

There is a .308 mold like that on fleabay now with the nose band. It is a nose pour mold to boot. I am kicking myself for not buying the NEI 300gr GC 45-70 mold that was on a while back, just didn't have the extra cash at the time.

Boolit Buddy

Cant say that I have bought one from them lately but I have paid for one...over 21 weeks ago. Have non-receipt claim with paypal, on the last day before he was charged by them, he sent a UPS tracking number...that after 4 days is still "Not Available". I have resigned myself that if I receive anything at all, it's going to be a piece of junk.

BF

Now the UPS site is saying "this is not a UPS Tracking Number: UPS Tracking Numbers will be in such-and-such format"
    Last edited by Butler Ford; 08-20-2015 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Additional Info
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Mold

Damn! I should have checked here first. Coming up on my one year anniversary of parting with my money for a never to be made, much less delivered, mould.