Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Share something that you remember.

Boolit Master
    Beeman's gum. Learned to fry my own eggs at age 6. Playing catch with Don Drysdale in his back yard.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    Outpost - I remember heating those "picnic lunches" on my bomb lift truck (aka jammers) manifolds, as I would drive around on different airbases overseas....

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I remember when Honda commercials consisted of motorcycles and not cars.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I also remember when the "cool" car to have was a MG TD.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    How about rowing thru a 4 gear in a 69 Z28..... If they would make one of those again I'd buy it...
    Cars today have no soul...

I remember when riots were met with policeman swinging clubs and using dogs, water canons, tear gas, and shotguns when needed. Today they are told to stand down and watch the very crimes they are sworn to prevent. I remember when this country was full of hope and promise. I remember when this country had a future. I remember wanting to live a long and happy life.
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Boolit Buddy
    "C" rations were the bomb, 4 Chesterfield's and a square of tp. Put the on the manafold and knaw on the biscuit. Yum yum.

Moderator Emeritus

I have that exact same box of 22lr sitting on my desk! No price tag but memory says it was under $1

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    Attachment 138271

Good eyes, good reflexes, time on my side, money enough.

I remember when a kid living by a river, could make fishing sinkers from wheelweights (that were free at most every place that sold tires), hunt night crawlers and sell them both to a local bait shop, and make enough money to keep him in "Golden Stren" fishing line and Zebco 33's were the reel to have.
    Took four Silver Everyready batteries to catch 1000 crawlers on a good rainy night. They cost .28 for two if I remember correctly.
    A Payday candy bar was .10 in a machine or .28 for a six pack in a grocery store, and were just about a meal.
    You can pop popcorn in an empty bean can while night fishing, but it tastes like plastic if it gets too hot!
    Chiggers were sent directly from Hates to ruin part of a weeks fishing!
    Snapping turtles will fit in the baskets on your sisters bike, but they are hard to keep in their and your sister won't ride the bike.
    Coast to Coast stores used to run specials on Master Craft .22's for .39 per box.
    You should always tap on the shot tube before moving the shell to the starter crimp station when loading .410 shotshells, the larger the shot the more this is true.Federal made a real stiff .410 shell and they crimped terribly, but nothing a candle and a little patients couldn't cure.
    Pretty girls always got their oil, radiator, and brake fluid checked at the station where I worked, and they all knew it.
    Elvis always got the prettiest girls.
    A Mossberg bolt action shotgun needs to be refinished if you drop it while traveling down a gravel road on your "Stingray", and the end of the barrel protruding into the spokes will usually remove at least three spokes!
    Not all tourist are impressed with a limit of Grey squirrels hanging off your belt, while riding past the local gas station.
    Mothers aren't impressed with live crawdads in the laundry.
    Bats can bite you through an ice bag.
    Carp dry out fast if left in the sun, even if you are just going to cut them up for trapping bait.
    Dad doesn't appreciate carp in his bandsaw, even if it is dried up.
    Carp will make a bandsaw stink for about two years.
    It takes about two saturdays of straightening rusty nails out to pay for Dads new bandsaw blade, and your blue thumbnail will come off in about a month.
    Pennies used to be made out of copper and made a good start for a crappie jig, and make a pretty good projectile when coming out the back of a Coast to Coast benchgrinder!
    Monofilament fishing line,even 20 lb test, makes a poor leash for a muskrat.
    I remember seing gas in Davenport,Iowa for .25 a gallon, during a gas war, while visiting an aunt who lived there.

Boolit Buddy
    Outpost... at least you didn't show the "Lima Beans w/ Ham" meal. I've known some hungry folks but I never met one that would eat that particular 'C'. Our locally adopted platoon dog wouldn't touch it. Pee on it, but not touch it. Heated our c's w/ C4 or mortar ranging rounds. We were ALL thinner then...

In Remembrance
    And along with that 25 cent gas, they pumped it, checked the oil, checked the air pressure iin all 4 tires and washed the windshield.
    I had one gal that would come everyday for fifty cents of gas and get the works. At the time my wages was 3 cents out of that fifty. I got to where I would hate to see that 57 chevy coming. lol

I was that guy Starmac. I used to work at a Zephr station that was located on a corner, but had a sloping lot to the street. Anyone that wanted thier tranny fluid or oil checked, I had to have them pull up into one level corner of the lot. Otherwise the dipsticks wouldn't read correctly due to the angle of the lot. On Fridays we offered a free bag of popcorn(about the size of a bag of ice) for every fill up. I had to pop all the corn and bag it with my filthy hands too. Nobody ever said anything about it either. We got alot of females(moms) coming there to buy Pepsi by the case (in bottles) that I had to put in their trunks, and get the empty cases out. My girlfriend then( wife now) used to come and pop popcorn and bag it. The station owner knew it too and never once offered to pay her, in over a year of working there. We got all the free popcorn we wanted though, but I ate it with dirty hands. LOL

Boolit Master

I got a used CD to listen to. It is Titled " The best of Bob Dylan'' It has songs from 1963/63 all the way to 2000 and i was listening to it and the second song is "The Times , They Are a' Changin " which I remember well. The second to last song has the refrain in it " I used to care, but things have changed" . I found myself feeling sad about that change in attitude from hopeful to jaded indifference.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 04-30-2015 at 07:25 AM. Reason: I spelled dylan rong
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Dylan

Boolit Master
    As the old song says"Ah yes,I remember it well".Don Drysdale used to give base ball seminars to the little league team that I played on in Vero Beach,Fl.When the Dodgers first came to Vero in 1949 they arrived aboard a DC3.Then they upgraded to a 707 Boeing.That created a stir the first time that they arrived in that.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

I remember when you could go in and put your money down and walk out with a firearm no paper work, ammo same thing
    I remember being able to leave your rifle in the back window of your truck with the windows down and still find it there when you got back
    I remember when people didn't lock their cars, homes when they were not there and even when they were
    I remember when neighbors actually knew each other and interacted with each other
    I remember when being an American was a good thing around the world even
    I remember when we were proud to be veterans, not so much anymore
    I remember when if you wanted something you worked to get it
    I remember when I could walk and stand for long hours each day not so anymore
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    shdwlkr - I except for the first one and maybe the second one, I find all the rest are just as true today as ever. So even more so.

Boolit Master

MaryB
    the farm tractors I remember were farmall H and M and the John Deere 2 cylinder poper we called it as it made a popping sound every time it fired, I remember long hot days in the hay field or barn putting up hay for winter, chopping corn in the snow, walking to the barn with snow up to my butt and finding so many things froze in the barn. Finding rats in the grain and dealing with that, my barn cats the owner got rid of once only to find we had so many mice and rats he was glad when some of the cats found their way back. Much simper life and yes I miss it
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    I fondly remember 65 years ago getting a J. C. Higgins single shot .22 for my seventh birthday !
    i still have it !

jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master
    I remember when no one panicked at the mention of the word lead. I remember the first rifle I drilled and tapped for sights - in my high school shop class - with help from the teacher.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison