Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Nose Design For Paper Patch Hunting Bullet

Nose Design For Paper Patch Hunting Bullet

Looking around at the various nose designs that manufactures put on muzzleloading molds and swaged boolits...
    What do you think would actually be "the best"?

Kinda appears to me that length of boolit is way more important than nose design unless the velocity gets way way up there.

Boolit Buddy
    The conventional wisdom is that as long as the base of the bullet is good, the nose design of the bullet does not affect accuracy all that much. As for hunting, I would opt for a bullet with the nose design of the Lyman 575312 OS Mould.

But the actual design doesn't make that much difference, if the muzzleloader bullet is made out of SOFT LEAD, the nose design is not going to matter that much because a soft lead bullet is going to expand greatly when it hits the animal if it has sufficient velocity.

Perm-Banned
    i swage all my paperpatch bullet for my various muzzleloaders. i use either the keith nose or a very short true round nose design. i like a very long bearing surface to grip the bore. i dont know how they would shoot to 1000 yards but ive taken deer to 212 yards with them. i do know of a target paperpatch shooter back east who uses a long pointed nose but he has to shoot them quite fast and use harder lead. he wins matches at 500 yards with this type of bullet but for hunting i think a short nose and a long bearing surface is better. more weight in the bullet and expands real good.

Boolit Master

I think your ideas about length are probably right. I still like a flat point for hunting though.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I've wondered about this myself. I'd like a barrel for shooting across fields where my point blank is no higher/lower than about 4". A higher BC value (read aerodynamic) will increase the range and reduce the wind drift, but a wide meplat sure would be good.