WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee 9mm die issues in LNL-AP

Boolit Master

Lee 9mm die issues in LNL-AP

I'm having an issue with my 4 die Lee 9mm set and LNL-AP press where the first station with the size/decap die doesn't allow the brass to smoothly enter it sometimes. Roughly 50% of the time the brass will contact bottom surface of the die and not enter cleanly, requiring me to back off slightly and use my finger to move the brass. Needless to say this is annoying and I've successfully pinched my finger a few times when I try to get going with some sort of pace and it hangs up.

I've check the base plate and made sure that it was clean and the shell plate is tight. It's usually leaning towards the back and right of the press so I suspected a high spot but a square and flashlight confirmed that it is dead flat. Has anybody encountered this? Is this another known issue with Lee dies in the LNL bushings? Others I've encountered are dies hitting the ejection wire (which I've not fixed with the update sub-plate) and the dies being too short so lock rings don't really function properly.

Boolit Master
    Have you checked to see if it is caused by protruding primers making the cases tilt?
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    sounds like u need to adjust the pawl on the right side of the press. move the sizer to the bullet seat position and tune with the sizer there. if the case is going to far in the rotation screw the pawl adjuting screw in about a 1/8 of a turn. conversely if it is not advancing enough screw the adjustment screw out a 1/8 of a turn. to tune the priming position use the screw and pawl on the left. hope this helps

Boolit Master

OK, here goes, your index plate is a BIT loose, tighten the center nut till the plate will not rotate and then back off the nut till the plate will rotate with out bind.

Also the 7/8x14 dies are just that a die and will lean on the locking ring, change out your locking ring, or rotate the die 120 degrees or play with the die orientation.

Good luck

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I had a similar issue with Reading dies and the LnL. My solution was to switch to Dillon dies which have a nice wide and smooth bevel on the mouth of the die.

Boolit Bub
    For my AP I turned a bevel on my Lee 9mm sizer. Otherwise it hit the shellplate before it got the case fully resized. I used C6 carbide insert in a straight turning tool. It took about 15 seconds, cuts like butter.

I had the same issue when I moved from my ProJector to the new LNL last fall. Using the same RCBS dies, I never had an issue until the LNL.

My issue was the case wasn't being held tight enough in the shellplate and would hit the die bottom; no pawl ajustment or shellplate tension was going to fix it. I would have to reach up and slightly push the top of the 9mm case in towards the center of the shellplate to get it to go in. Not much, but enough to stop everything. No issues with 38/357, 40SW, or 45ACP,,, so i know it wasn't the pawl/timing or loose shellplate. I checked the shellplate carrier and it is flat and smooth. No high primers either as I get it with deprived brass as well. Pretty consistent in how it hits only one side. I tried different lock rings, bushings, and dies. No other station or caliber did it. Almost 20 years with ProJectors so it wasn't my first rodeo.

I called Hornady and spoke to a nice techie. He said it was common as the new shellplates are machined with looser tolerances with all the other gizmos and gadgets that can be added on to the press. He only suggested brand new dies as they are now machined with a bigger opening to account for this. Bummer....

I wish had my old shell plate but must have been destroyed in the conversion. Hornady sent a new one with the others they were able to mill.

i ended up finding a used Lee die that works a little better. But now I load on my 9mm on my RCBS AmmoMaster 2.

Boolit Master

Cheese, I think that is exactly what is going on. I've never had the issue with other calibers including 30.06, 30-30, .223, 45ACP, 22 Savage, etc. Only 9mm. I also confirmed that is not the primer by running deprimed brass and it still happened.

With the short Lee dies, the lock rings don't work as well as I would like and make setting it up a pain sometimes. I think I might just suck it up and buy a set of Hornady 9mm dies. It will eliminate the extra crimp die and open up a station for a powder cop in the future.

Heck, by the time I get the free box of bullets, it's really only $25 anyways.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    I had the same issue when I moved from my ProJector to the new LNL last fall. Using the same RCBS dies, I never had an issue until the LNL.

My issue was the case wasn't being held tight enough in the shellplate and would hit the die bottom; no pawl ajustment or shellplate tension was going to fix it. I would have to reach up and slightly push the top of the 9mm case in towards the center of the shellplate to get it to go in. Not much, but enough to stop everything. No issues with 38/357, 40SW, or 45ACP,,, so i know it wasn't the pawl/timing or loose shellplate. I checked the shellplate carrier and it is flat and smooth. No high primers either as I get it with deprived brass as well. Pretty consistent in how it hits only one side. I tried different lock rings, bushings, and dies. No other station or caliber did it. Almost 20 years with ProJectors so it wasn't my first rodeo.

I called Hornady and spoke to a nice techie. He said it was common as the new shellplates are machined with looser tolerances with all the other gizmos and gadgets that can be added on to the press. He only suggested brand new dies as they are now machined with a bigger opening to account for this. Bummer....

I wish had my old shell plate but must have been destroyed in the conversion. Hornady sent a new one with the others they were able to mill.

i ended up finding a used Lee die that works a little better. But now I load on my 9mm on my RCBS AmmoMaster 2.

Did you trade in your projector? Neighbor has one and is really lusting after a dillon after running mine. He reloads his high volume rounds on my 650 because no one can get the primer system to work reliably. I heard hornady would upgrade? What do you have to do?

Quote Originally Posted by firebrick43 View Post
    Did you trade in your projector? Neighbor has one and is really lusting after a dillon after running mine. He reloads his high volume rounds on my 650 because no one can get the primer system to work reliably. I heard hornady would upgrade? What do you have to do?
    i had an old Pro7 that was the first model before ProJectors. I traded it up under the warranty program. I just sold my main ProJector to another member here that was in fine working order with many spare parts. I like both units and would like either on my bench, just don't have room.

i have another Pro7 that was factory updated to a ProJector years ago. I plan on taking funds from my sale to send this one in as well for another new unit. It's bare bones with no shellplates or priming system. I'll keep it in the box for a rainy day or who knows what...

i emailed Hornady on Feb and they said they would still do the warranty upgrade for $200 and your old press w/powder measure and all parts you have.

Call the 1-800 customer service number and ask to do the ProJector warranty for a LNL. You get instructions on what to send, payment, and a return authorization number. Mine last fall took about a month. Old she'll plates can be converted also for $10 each.
    Last edited by cheese1566; 04-03-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    If you can't get the primer system on any Hornady progressive to work, it's you and not the press. The only problem I have had after using a Hornady progressive since the very first model came out was during a move that cam wire for the priming system on the L-N-L got bent. I called Hornady and they sent my a new one. After I knew they were sending me a new one, I went out and re-bent the wire. It has now been working perfectly (with the new one on a shelf) for the last three years. Call Hornady and they'll walk you through any problem.
    I preferred the old "swing arm" priming system of the Pro-Jector as I could see the primer in the cup as it swung over to the shell plate, so I knew that a primer was actually available.
    Let's say that you have adjusted the pawls to get the timing right (if the timing was ever out) and you are running the shell plate reasonably tight.
    Raise the ram and screw the sizing die down until it just barely touches the shell plate. Lower the ram and insert a case. Raise the ram so the case goes in the die. NOW, tighten the die body lock ring so the die and case are aligned. If you have a problem with the decapping pin going in the flash hole, loosen the decapping rod slightly and wiggle it as needed to enter the flash hole and, with the pin in the flash hole, tighten the rod's lock ring TIGHT.
    None of this is exclusive to the Hornady.

I never had issues with the primer system as well. I read the instructions and understood how to adjust. I don't think I ever had an issue and only readjusted when I moved it being a moron. Most of the years though it was dedicated to small primers. The new system is similar to my RCBS units. Plus I like the way I can use my vibrator primer filler from MidwayUSA.

Boolit Buddy

From what I am hearing, I'm glad I have a Dillon. It takes everyones dies and has no problem with primer feeds.

Boolit Bub
    There is no problem with the primer feed for the LnL AP. There are problems with the operator if it's not working. I think the problem with the 9mm resizing die on my LnL was with the Lee die. I have not had to modify any others.
    That being said, after using both Dillon and Hornady progressive presses the preferences are like a Chevy/Ford thing. Both do what they are intended to do if used correctly. Just pick your color, red or blue.
    I live in a red state.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    If you're using Lee dies in LnL bushings, turn the original Lee lock rings up side down and tighten with a wrench. This gets them to their maximum length and after that, adjust the pawls to get the press's timing correct and you should be good to go if you're shell plate is reasonably within spec.

It's not the Lee dies. I had nothing but Lee dies sets for almost every caliber I loaded on my LnL for the ten years or so I had it. Never had a problem.