Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Say goodbye forever to Hodgon Clays and international clays.

Boolit Man

Say goodbye forever to Hodgon Clays and international clays.

Dear Reloader,
    Australian Munitions is making some changes to the way we manufacture our pistol and shotgun powders. These changes are necessary to ensure that we can sustainably manufacture these products for many years to come. We are making changes to both the manufacturing process and formulation of the powders, in order to sustain the manufacturability and throughput of the Australian Shotgun (AS) and Australian Pistol (AP) series powders.
    The result of this change will be a new series of powders that will give our customers the performance excellence you have come to expect from ADI powders in both shotgun and pistol applications. This new series of powders will be called the APS series of powders, starting with APS35 that will replace AS30N, and APS45 that will replace both AS50N and AP50N. You will see these powders start appearing on the shelves after May this year, and we will be making reloading data available for them on our website and in the 2015 edition of our reloading manual, which will be released in May. Our development of APS-series powders to replace AP70N is well under way, but we will continue to supply AP70N throughout 2015 until the new powder is ready for release. AP100 manufacture is not affected by these changes, as it is manufactured differently.
    While we are making these changes, it is unfortunately possible that you may experience some difficulty obtaining AS30N, AP50N and AS50N. This is due to the fact that it is getting more difficult for us to run the old process regularly, which is an important part of the reasoning behind making the changes. We ask that you please remain patient during this time, as the changes are essential to ensuring that we can continue making these powders in Australia well into the future.
    Thank you for your ongoing support, and for using our World Class powders, proudly made in Australia. We appreciate your custom.
    Be safe out there, and enjoy your reloading.
    Ferdi Kluever
    Sales Director, Australian Munitions

Hint AS30 is clays and AS50 is international and AP70N is Universal.

Thanks for the notification.

APS45 that will replace both AS50N and AP50N.
    Does this mean HP-38 (or W-231) will also be affected, since is an equivalent of AP50N on their Powder Equivalent Chart?
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Boolit Master
    No 231 is made in Florida at st marks

Boolit Grand Master

So AP70N is Universal? Bummer. Have a couple of pounds bo't almost five years ago, one of my favorite powders but I don't shoot pistol much these days. Wonder if Hodgdon will import the APS replacement. Seems to be a transition time in the powder world. Hodgdon annual articles covered it pretty well, not sure I like the way things are going.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

everybody's everything is changing.
    pretty soon I won't know anything about nuthin cause it'll all have changed.

Boolit Grand Master

Old man's survival mantra: change is good, change is good, change is good....
    Only problem is, I'm not old. Good thing I have a shelf full of powder I'm comfortable with.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Thanks for the head up.For some of that powder I will have to go another way for what i was think of usen it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Old man's survival mantra: change is good, change is good, change is good....
    Only problem is, I'm not old. Good thing I have a shelf full of powder I'm comfortable with.

Bingo. That's the problem with being a young pup with an old soul. The worst of both worlds. Knowing you must change to survive to the future while at the same time realizing how we trade the good things of days past for brand new evils or even neutrals we don't care for.

Boolit Grand Master

Say goodbye forever to Hodgon Clays and international clays.

I'm wondering what is forcing these changes? Don't get me wrong, temperature stability is a good thing. But I can't help but think it's accountants behind the changes. You hear that the old powders are to expensive to produce. Yet the new powders are significantly more money per pound. Also seems like they're trying to cover more applications w/ less powder types. That's the equivalent of using an adjustable wrench. Yes, it will work but it's never the best option.

To bad it's not easy to set up a powder manufacturing operation. We need more in the US. To many limits w/ importation.

delete post.
    Last edited by blaser.306; 03-22-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    I suppose that powders are changing now because the dealers shelves are bare and we will be glad to get what we can.
    Where will charge tables on the new powders come from? Our Lyman books will become obsolete.
    I am glad I have a good supply. Maybe this will settle down before I need more.

Moderator Emeritus

I really liked International Clays for trap shooting. Tailored it to 16yd and handicap. Guess I am lucky my back is screwed so I can't shoot Trap anymore...

Boolit Buddy
    Hodgedon=IDIOTS! Stop getting rid of perfectly good powders. They screwed us on the IMR powders and now this. My business goes elsewhere!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sig2009 View Post
    Hodgedon=IDIOTS! Stop getting rid of perfectly good powders. They screwed us on the IMR powders and now this. My business goes elsewhere!
    It isn't Hodgdon, they buy the stuff from the Aussies. The Aussies are changing the manufacturing process and not making it anymore...so Hodgdon couldn't import it if it wanted to.

Banned

That was not the case with 4759, it was a business decision. I have no use for Hodgon.

Boolit Grand Master

The business decision was the machinery was wearing out and it cost more to produce. Before the shortage 4759 collected dust on the shelf. Can't say I blame them for stopping production.

My concern is that we will end up w/ three powders to cover everything. This one size fits all approach never works on the consumers favor.

Boolit Master
    I just picked up a 4 pound container of International a few weeks ago, after not seeing any of the ADI products for over a year. Now I find out that the whole line of products is going to change. I thought it was a Hodgdon's issue, as they haven't been real good at getting HP-38 and others on the shelf either. We'll adapt, I'm sure.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Banned

okay what is happening is that the powder manufacturers are being forced to clean their act up literally.
    there are new more stringent laws in place dealing with waste and more importantly industrial waste.
    the Europeans laws are much more stringent than the laws here in America and elsewhere but they won't allow imports that don't meet those standards enter the country.

all of the new powders meet those standards [see the new induron series from hodgdon] and are gonna become mainstream items, followed by more and more reformulated old powders or new offerings being made with different base stocks..
    you might as well get used to seeing it happen, and go with it.

Boolit Master
    Aren't their more different powder than there ever were? It seems to me new powders are released all the time but only once in a while do they discontinue one or two.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast