Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A look at the Lee Classic Turret press

Post A look at the Lee Classic Turret press

Lee Classic Turret Press Part I - Lee Equipment - It's not just for Kids
    http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

Lee Classic Turret Press Part II - Form Follows Function - A closer Look
    http://www.realguns.com/archives/123.htm

Lee Classic Turret Press Part III - It's Pretty, But Does it Make Good Ammo?
    http://www.realguns.com/archives/124.htm
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the links, a lot of info on a popular press!

Interesting, but the writer assumes the Lee turret presses are going to be used as a "semi-progressive" press. I purchased a Deluxe turret (old style) 13 years ago and disabled the auto index feature a day or two after I set it up. I like to batch load and know there are many other reloaders that "hand index" their Lee turret and are quite successful. If I wanted 1,000 rounds of ammo "right now!" I would go with an entry level Dillon real progressive press like a Square Deal...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I also disabled the auto index feature immediately. I don't load large quantities, perhaps 50 - 100 at time. I full length size on the first station and bell the case on the second. I removed and hand prime the cases. The station three seats the boolit and number four for the crimp.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    The thing that appeals to me about the Lee turret presses are the quick changeovers. I've never used a Lee as a "progressive" press, but they do save time when decapping and expanding straightwall cases.

I use the Classic cast with the auto index installed for pistol ammo but removed for rifle ammo. Nothing wrong with doing it either way. That's just how I load with it.

Have had my 3 holer for well over 20 years. Have always indexed by hand. Great piece of equipment.

What is not to love? A pretty nice single stage with the index rod out. Switch to auto indexed turret for stuff you need to load in quantity for some auto loader that tends to have a big appetite. With the disks providing an easy way to store dies pre-set.

Sometimes you want to batch load a box or two, other times you want to crank out a few hundred for the next time you go out to burn through some ammo with the kids and grandkids.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy

Love my 4 holer. I load in batches, seat and crimp in seperate steps. Keep one head loaded for .45 acp and one for .38 Spl
    NRA Life Member
    Member Florida Carry
    Founding member/moderator COTEP

Boolit Bub

Got my Lee 3 hole in the early 1990's, have always loaded batches up to 50 one station at a time, then hand index to the next station for the next step in the process for that batch. That helps me maintain consistency. It has more than paid for itself over the years with some odd thousands of rounds. I am sure it and the seven turret heads with dies pre-set with 45c, 38/357, 30/30, 7mm-08, 44mag, 270, 7mm Rem Mag will outlast me.

Banned

Had one, like dillon 550 better.

I got the classic also and removed the plastic ratchet thing. Main reason like others I load in batches and don't want/need the rachet. It's very nice setting up rifle dies ONCE and not having to jack with it again. Remove tool head and shell holder and your ready to install the next caliber.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    It is the best press made today for a reloader that is getting into the use of a turret machine. It's very well made and works well. It does have a little slop in the turret moving upward with the upstroke of the press but that may be worked out through die adjustment. I think it's one of the best buys today.
    Lee makes a lot of what is known as beginner equipment but this press has a place in all persons who load homes. As has been posted, it may be turned into a manual press by just removing one piece from the press.
    One member posted that the Dillon 550 was a better buy. That is the most laughable statement I think I've ever read on this forum. Comparing a press that cost about $115 to a machine that cost about $700 loaded out is like saying a BMW 700 is better than a $1800 used Chevrolet. Take Care David

PS I've owned three Dillon 550's and still had a Lee Classic on my bench.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Moderator Emeritus

I run mine in manual mode too. I prefer to load in batches of 100. Made a turret storage rack for mine from red oak. Top is laser cut and the turrets are a snug fit!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    One member posted that the Dillon 550 was a better buy. That is the most laughable statement I think I've ever read on this forum. Comparing a press that cost about $115 to a machine that cost about $700 loaded out is like saying a BMW 700 is better than a $1800 used Chevrolet. Take Care David

PS I've owned three Dillon 550's and still had a Lee Classic on my bench.
    David

I look through this thread and there were two Dillon comments, neither talking about value but quantity or what someone liked better. Kinda lost with the used Chevy and BMW thing. I've had one 450/550. I've never needed more since the 80s. Every pull of the handle, one round. That can't be done on a turret press. The 550 and Lee CC turret do not allow me to use a full compliment of my favorite lock ring - Forster. I can only use two on the 550. A turret press is not a progressive so the two are apples and oranges comparisons. I wish Hornady would release a LNL turret. I love those bushings and there reside in two single stages I own. The original quick change die press I own doesn't use them. I do own one turret press - a P/W P-200. I'm looking for a Hollywood turret and a member on this forum can make a custom head to use LNL bushings. That would be sweet. I would use my case forming dies in it to go from 405 Winchester to 25 caliber! That would be faster than swapping out bushings in the single stage or maybe using the COAX.

I looked at the CC turret and I passed. It's not what I'm looking for. My needs are different from others. I have nothing against the CC series, it's about time and very late to the reloading game.

Going back to the auto thing, you would flinch at what my truck cost new. They knocked 20k off since they are fleet dealer. It handles a commercial Anderson gooseneck tandem wheel, tandem axle, electric over hydraulic 30' gooseneck just fine as well as the 40 ft fifth wheel. Trucks in this class don't come cheap.

Not picking on you. Gunoil has both Lee and Dillon stuff. He uses a lot of aftermarket stuff on his presses. They must be beautiful to see and use. I wish I could see them in person. I'm not a fan of Lee presses, but Mike's reloading bench makes some beautiful stuff for them.

take care,

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 4 hole and I use the auto index. I only load 357 and 44 Mag on it. I remove the decapping pin because I decap before tumbling and I prime on my forster co-axial. This makes for quick and accurate reloading of these two calibers. I am loading at max pressure and hand weigh my powder so for the limited number of rounds I am loading at a time it is perfect. I have a loadmaster for 9, 40, 45, 30-30 and 308. All other rifle I load on my co-ax. Reloading presses are like firearms, you can probably get by with only one but some are just better suited than others for a given task.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Buddy

I enjoy loading on my Lee turret. It performs very well and speeds up my overall loading process. I don't use anything but a hand primer for seating primers regardless of what caliber I'm putting together. I like to use the turret for dropping powder, seating and crimping so I use the auto index to make that process faster. I use my Loadmaster the same way because again, I trust my hand priming tool more than the others for consistent priming. Both presses make good ammo but I think I like my Lee turret the best.

Boolit Master
    I own a 450, 550 and 650 Dillons. I was given a Lee classic turret press.

By the time I adjust any Dillons priming system to small primer size, I can
    have 150 rounds of 9mm loaded. Then add re-installing large primer
    system back onto any Dillon and I got another 150 rounds loaded.

I just leave the Lee turret set up for 9mm hand loading and for 9mm shooting
    purposes, the Lee makes great ammo at a steady pace.

For me its not cost effective to change out primer systems on the Dillons and I can
    afford to load 3 hrs weekly on the Lee press to keep me stocked in 9mm ammo.

For the mission, the Lee classic turret is perfect for 9mm hand loads. If it did not work well, it would not be on my bench !

Best press no. Best press that fits the budget of many reloaders? I think the answer is yes. There are some other single stage O presses that are much stouter and taller for those that need that feature set. And then there are people that are reloading on a modest little C press or two because that meets their needs and suits their space or budget.

Oh wait. Lee makes those other presses at a very competitive price too.

Totally get some folks don't mind or figure it is worth buying a Land Rover or BMW and some folks get there just fine in a Ford or Chevy at a much lower price. But even a car review does not compare a Ford Focus to a BMW it compares the Ford to an equivalent vehicle.

Oddly enough I would probably spend $$$ on a great lead deal. But would find little reason to spend 1/2 that on a press. Not saying folks that buy high end presses are wrong just that it is not really relevant to a $115 turret press. Ok if you buy a $500 press and only make a couple of boxes of ammo for fall hunting with THEN we get to laugh at you, but only behind your back where it won't hurt your feelings.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    I own a 450, 550 and 650 Dillons. I was given a Lee classic turret press.

By the time I adjust any Dillons priming system to small primer size, I can
    have 150 rounds of 9mm loaded. Then add re-installing large primer
    system back onto any Dillon and I got another 150 rounds loaded.

I just leave the Lee turret set up for 9mm hand loading and for 9mm shooting
    purposes, the Lee makes great ammo at a steady pace.

For me its not cost effective to change out primer systems on the Dillons and I can
    afford to load 3 hrs weekly on the Lee press to keep me stocked in 9mm ammo.

For the mission, the Lee classic turret is perfect for 9mm hand loads. If it did not work well, it would not be on my bench !
    This fellow claims to do swaps in 20 seconds using complete assemblies for the 550 or 650:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/33...3_18_2015.html

It takes me two or three minutes to do one a 550. Pretty simple and straight forward. I could not load 150 rounds on the 550 by the time I changed primer sizes, if I could then it would be capable of producing way more than the theoretical 500 rounds per hour. I guess I can see the advantage of having complete assemblies, it justs not a big deal to switch sizes for me.

Take care

r1kk1

Yep, LCT owner/user here too. Currently loading approx. 15 calibers, all dies are in their own turret rings ready to use, plus a couple others with decapping die, collet bullet puller, powder dispenser, etc.

I also bounce back and forth between auto-indexing and single-stage, as needed. Great press, I love it! Perfect for my needs.