WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Ben's Liquid Lube and the making of Ben's Red Bullet lube.

Boolit Grand Master

Questions on Ben's Liquid Lube and the making of Ben's Red Bullet lube.

I'm getting a large volume of PM's with questions like this :

( 1 ) I tried to make Ben's Red and it isn't as firm as I'd like, what do I do ?

( 2 ) What is the formula for making Ben's Red ?

( 3 ) What is the formula for making Ben's Liquid Lube ?

( 4 ) What happens if I change this, what happens if I change that...... ? ? ? ( By the way, why would anyone think I'd know what would happen if they alter 27 different things about the lube ? ? )

I'm all for helping people, but at the same time I'd like to see people do a little bit of research on their own before they ask me to explain the same thing that I've already printed on this forum in dozens of threads already.

The search function on this forum works wonderfully, ( If one will use it ? ? ).

I'm not exactly certain how to handle this ? So far I've responded to every request but I don't know how long I can keep this up...............

99% of the questions that I'm getting I've already answered or others who have successfully made Ben's Red and Ben's Liquid lube have answered the questions in the threads on the subject.

Catch is, few are doing any reading on the subject before they go the PM route to get the " quick and easy answers " they are looking for from me.

I guess it takes them 15 minutes to do a little research with the search function on the forum or 1 minute in a PM to get me to do it for them.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-08-2015 at 08:55 AM.

Maybe you need to draw some pictures?
    If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Banned

"I'm getting a large volume of PM's..."

Being creative/productive has a price to pay seemingly. Seriously, I spent so many hours reading and reading and reading before I joined and that really lessened the need to ask fundamental questions. I feel for you brother.

Boolit Grand Master
    Like I said, I'm all for helping people. That is one of the things I've really enjoyed about this forum. The help I've received from so many and the few times I've been able to hopefully help someone else in return.

It would just be a help to me not to have to type the same thing in PM's 15 times.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-23-2015 at 08:18 AM.

I suggest you put your formula on your website. Also, add a list of Do's and Don't's, or something similar that answers the common questions you receive. Also, put a note that your formula is at your website, on the footer on your Castboolits page where you have your website listed. The added bonus of this is you get free advertising for your gun stock finishing/refinishing services by sending people to your web page for the formula and answers to their questions.

Chip

Boolit Grand Master
    Chip,

At 1st that looks like the answer, but they still have to go and do some reading on their own and right now that just isn't happening ? ? However , you may be onto something with your suggestions.

Maybe the best thing to do is just keep responding to the PM's and keep a smile on my face.

Thanks,
    Ben

The search feature is definitly the way to go, plus there's two threads on Ben's Red and one on the new Bll lube right here on this forum on the Front page....pretty well covers it.
    It would probably be surprising to find out that many new members don't even realize the seach funtion is even there though...works great too. I spent probably 2 hours on it last night researching "Accuracy of Zastava rifles"...10 pages popped up right off the bat lol!!

Ben's Red is a great lube and VERY popular and seems to be growing in popularity more and more and i'm glad to see that. I'm amazed at the consistency of it every range trip i go on myself!
    I wouldn't want to offend anyone, but would simply refer them politely to the search funtion.They'll probably find way more answers than they have questions there.
    Lol...just shows you came up with a great lube Ben!!

I'm too slow at typing ...looks like hamholfarm has a good idea there.

Boolit Grand Master
    Offending someone is the last thing I want to do.

I'm genuinely asking for suggestions from all of you on how to improve this situation ? ?

Ben

Banned

You could have a word document with links to the best threads and cut and paste them with a "Hope this Helps" That would be efficient and helpful.

Boolit Grand Master
    For any who have not used the search function ( that 35shooter is making reference to ) on the forum, look below under the LEE Precision Logo and locate the search window. You can take any topic and type it into the search window, hit enter on your keyboard and begin reading on the topic that interest you. It works great, I use it every day.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    You could have a word document with links to the best threads and cut and past them with a "Hope this Helps" just cut and paste it.
    Again, another good idea.

Many thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    All the answers are already on the site. Sad to say, many just want to be served and don't first think of doing for themselves. Some are, like me, computer dummies and are not familiar with search functions. This latter group, small as it might be, might need a little guidance in navigating the site and it's resources. I don't see a resolution to the inconvenience you suffer from those not willing to do a little digging for themselves. You have been most generous with your "inventions", advice, and time for a long while. Hope the lazy don't burn you out. I, for one, always click on your posts (as well as a few others) whenever they pop up, just to see what you're up to. They are always good and have some of the best photography going. Illegitimus non carborundum.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks 725,

There has got to be a way to improve this.
    I'm still thinking............

Ben

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Thanks 725,

There has got to be a way to improve this.
    I'm still thinking............

Ben
    Just put a link to one of the posts you put all those links to Q&As about both your lube recipes in your sig line.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master
    UUUmmm, might be the best idea yet ! !

Thanks,
    Ben

I'm A Honcho!
    I feel for you Ben.
    I do for a living what you are doing here to help the forum out.
    Your lubes are top notch and have helped me a bunch.
    I have read every word of every post about both of your lubes and use them both regularly.
    As you will notice my post count is very low.
    I am a good reader lurker!
    I followed this forum and read till my mind was numb when I first stumbled across it 5 years ago.
    I will be the first to say that the current world we live in is all about instant gratification and answers now!
    Nobody want to try and do or figure things out them selves. They just want to wiggle click type and have all the answers with minimal output.
    Keep up the good work and thank you very much for your hard work on these lubes!

Sorry for my rant
    Wasalmonslayer

Boolit Master
    I have customers who will call and ask for advice on some of the ???? things. There are days I'd like to throw the phone out in the back yard. Most have honest questions, but there are (those)!! I haven't figured out all the shortcuts here yet, but a lot of great stuff IF A GUY IS WILLING TO LOOK. Anyway thanks for your sharing what you have worked so hard to figure out. I guess that's my rant for the day, too.

Banned

I've been watching this go on for a while, Ben, and your persistence is admirable. I also feel your pain. Two months ago I linked one thread each regarding Ben's Red and BLL to a post in the lube recipe sticky, a thread that has had exactly seventeen views since then as of this evening. I can draw my own conclusions from the results of that little experiment.

My solution would be to use reverse psychology: You could offer to email a complete Word document containing the best information you have for both lubes to anyone willing to send you $5. Several people will doubtlessly purchase the document and distribute it widely as "contraband information" gleefully thinking that they're getting away with something. Soon there will be lots more utoob videos and the contents of the file will start appearing on shooting, prepper, and review sites and forums throughout the world. Your work will be done, and you might pocket enough money to buy another can or two of floor wax. Since the info would be "contraband" very few people will be asking you any questions directly, and it won't be your problem any more.

Felix had the same issues with his lube. From the outset people wanting to make it were trying to figure out ways to reduce the polymerization time, even before they understood what that was, why it is necessary, or had even obtained the basic ingredients. Then they would bug him about the soap not melting in or is this wax ok or can you change this or that and where do I get carnauba wax. When I got into it myself I tried to help, but after a while you just kind of need to find an exit and let the thing roll on its own.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Gear,

Some , for whatever their reasons, may not even understand what I tried to say in the orig. post above.

It is obvious that you do. I've added valuable links to my signature line now, will that help.....I don't know ?

By the way, with your reverse Psychology concepts, I bet you drove your teachers crazy in school ! Head games must have been your speciality. HA ! ! I was a school principal, the " reverse " would often times tip the scales in your favor, as you're well aware.

One of my friends that I talked to about this told me, " No good deed goes unpunished." Maybe he is right ?

Thanks,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-07-2015 at 08:58 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ben some say that if you give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach him to fish he eats for a lifetime.
    I agree to a point but also understand that some refuse to learn to fish but still want to treat for a lifetime. At some point you need to let them starve if they refuse to fish.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.