RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cast Aluminum Smelting pot

Boolit Bub

Cast Aluminum Smelting pot

Is there any thing wrong/ bad in using a cast aluminium pot to melt scrap lead? Its just a pressure cooker bottom thats cheap at Goodwill.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I saw one dump it's entire batch of lead when the entire bottom let go. Be careful!! Later
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Attachment 132655Aluminum will disqualify itself with use.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    DO NOT use that pot to melt your lead in. Al looses strength rapidly when at thost temps.

Al pots were made to boil water in.....not melt lead at 700+ degrees!

Get a good cast iron or steel pot and be safe. Unless you want some nice lead waders!

bangerjim

Boolit Master

It will work to melt lead in an aluminum pot but you have work out the physics or you'll get a puddle on your feet. You have to support the pot well enough so the molten lead pressure doesn't exceed the high temperature strength of the pot, you have to control the heat so the flame side of the pot doesn't exceed the melting point of aluminum or get so hot the aluminum strength drops too low, you have to heat the lead charge slowly so you get some liquid lead in the bottom of the pot to carry the flame heat away from the aluminum wall.
    Its a lot easier to get a nice stainless steel pot where you have more latitude in material temperatures. I don't like cast iron because it is a brittle fracturing material. If you accidentally whack a cast iron pot it can break like a clay flowerpot. A drawn steel pot will just dent.

Banned

Bad idea. Even cast iron is suspect due to cracking. Steel makes sense and steel pots are inexpensive.
    Last edited by jmort; 03-03-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Thankyou one an all, this forum is great.

Boolit Grand Master

A strong solid safe smelting pot can easily be made from an old 25lb propane cylinder. Lay out the hieght you want. clean and drain inside of tanl wash with soap and water several times. Lay a layer of wide masking tape around tank on the line layed out. Slowly cut tank apart with a hack saw or jugsaw following the tape edge. Cut a 3" wide ring from tank upper part for a stand ring around outside of pot. The pot can be set in this ring or welded to it. These tanks are stamped steel and more than strong enough. Out dated tanks are cheap and easy to find

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    A strong solid safe smelting pot can easily be made from an old 25lb propane cylinder.
    Even easier, hit the swapping/selling or special projects section. There is at least one member willing to make them for other members.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Contact randyrat on the forum and get one of his steel ones made from a propane tanks. STRONG and safe. Price is right too.

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pots-and-tools
    D Crockett is the person I was thinking of.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

bhn22
    Stainless steel is probably best for melting. That said, mine is cast iron, and seems to be holding up well so far. I do know it will crack eventually though.

Boolit Grand Master

One trick with cast iron is to load it and start with low heat to slowly let it expand and warm up to temp. I cracked a dutch oven when it was very cold outside and didnt give it enough warm up before turning burner up.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    ^^^^^^YES^^^^^^^

Thermal shock will crack CI in a heartbeat. Always bring up your CI pot to operating temp slowly and not above full-bore flame! It can crack!

If your trukey fryer (or whatever) is only on/off, use a propane hand torch to warm it up B4 lighting the afterburners!

bangerj

bhn22
    The flame on mine is adjustable, and I have yet to run it flat out. It gets plenty hot without my having to get impatient with it.

Boolit Master
    Cast Iron is like Contractors. There's good and bad and often it's hard to tell ahead of time.

I like heavy Restaurant Stainless Steel. Used or Smart and Final. They have skimmers and ladles too for not much money.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Ah Carmel!! We Love the area and the Cobblestone Inn. I'll have to try restaurant stainless as my lodge bean pot is getting old. And too small! Rod

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pots-and-tools
    D Crockett is the person I was thinking of.
    My mistake, your are correct. D Crocket is the source. Thanks for correcting my error. randyrat is where I get my beeswax, TAC-1 and Tac-X lube and lanolin. Great stuff!!