Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Hand Primer model XR

Boolit Master

Lee Hand Primer model XR

I've had this thing for quite some time, not really sure how long or why I bought it. Its been on the shelf until today. I had some 45 Colt cases to prime and decided to give it a whirl. I have the model that preceded this one, the one with the common round tray and slip in shell holders. Well, this XR model is awkward, has poor feel of how the primer is seating, and in 200 cases primed I had 6 mangled primers that had to be de-primed again and three that were crushed in the hand tool. Never had any trouble with the older version. I think this one goes back on the shelf or on a trade blanket. It the Ergo version any better?

prs

Banned

I have numerous older round trays which work great and an Ergo which is OK, better than the square tray. I would use it if I did not have the round trays.

Ben's experience with it, "Here is my experience with the new LEE IMPROVED ERGO VERSION ( not good ).

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-Priming-Tool" mirrors mine and maybe mort's as well.

Boolit Master
    I'm not nearly as fond of the ERGO as I was of the original model. My ERGO and a neighbors XR (both are square tray models) have the same problem. The lifter for the primer feed (not the punch) sits just a tad low of the tray and lets the primer staging to ride on the edge of the primer on the lifter, causing a jam. The primer on the lifter trys to turn the staging primer over. The tray lid has a tit on the edge near the lifting tunnel and you can see where it is supposed to fit into a small slot and keep the tray lid in place. Don't happen, the tit is too small/slot too large, so when the jam occurs the lid lifts up and makes matters worse by allowing a primer to get under the staging primer. I use a clothes pin on the side of the tray to keep the lid on, and only let the primer feed trough fill to the edge of the raised triangle of the tray floor. This has helped a lot. As well, not holding the priming tool at a large angle helps too, hold it at just enough angle to let the primers feed. I also notice that some primers are worse than others at this, Federal Large Pistol give me fits, CCI LP are bad but not so much as the Federal, I've some Winchester LP I've not tried yet, time will tell. Over all, it will prime cases, but you can't deadhead the process, got to watch everything. Worst part of the problem is there is no feel to it. Don't get any warning a jam is about to occur, it just jams up and doesn't want to feed. Crappy. If the lifter had prolly .020 more length the problem wouldn't happen.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the XR. I preferred the old style but this hasn't been the disaster it was made out to be. It took a bit of getting used to but once I figured it out I was happy.
    I will be far happier if the handle doesn't break like the old style was prone to doing.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Mold
    I gave up using my ERGO primer because of the constant jams. The ERGO was just a source of frustration. I tried using it at various angles but this did not help. I just threw it into the 'junk' drawer and went back to the Sinclair priming tool.

Boolit Master

I use one of the old models,keep it lubed and cleaned,I just dump the primers in and watch for one that needs to be turned,to me it takes less time than trying to turn them right side up before you start to prime.I haven't tried one of the newer models as yet.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master
    The New Ergo Tool didn't work for me at all. If I had sent it back to Lee, I might have received one that worked , who knows ?

I removed the lawyer conceived primer feed mechanism from mine and converted it into a single feed tool.

It works 101 % now. Put a primer in place, slide the case in, close the lever, BINGO a nicely seated primer ! ! Mine is now assigned duty with my portable reloading kit.

I'm not recommending that anyone attempt this modification with their tool. It was just a decision that I made with my tool.

Sometimes a simpler design can offer an improvement in the "dependability arena."

The feed tray mechanism on mine doesn't jam anymore because it doesn't have one.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-01-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Why they didn't just beef up the old style I don't know. The old round tray style just worked.
    I had never seen the ergo model.

Ben, as usual, found a way to make a silk purse from a sows ear.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like Lee has improved it so much that it won't work now.
    Last edited by Ben; 03-01-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I still have 2 of the old models that have aleays done what I needed.
    Like w5pv I use some lube on the friction points before each use, and they still work like new.
    I did recently find 2 of the round covers on closeout. Mine have yellowed from sunlight, and now they Look like new also.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Looks like Lee has improved it so much that it won't work now.
    Like the old joke.

A mechanic says if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

An engineer says if it ain't broke it doesn't have enough features.

Over engineered maybe?

Computer engineer.

Fix it until its broken.

My ergo prime from lee functioned just fine for me. That being said, I still did not like it. Can't describe why I don't like it either.
    http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Primin...ming-Tool.aspx I bought one of these back when they were about $80 and have not regretted it. Perfectly seated primer every time.

Boolit Mold
    Great idea. ERGO meet Dremel. The tabs on the primer tray top broke after a few uses. Bye-bye primer tray.

Boolit Master

I have had all 3, the previous round try (not the original with screw in shell holder), the XR and the ERGO. I like all 3 and while the newer 2 are not quite as easy to use as the previous I do like them. They all work well for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    We all have different experiences when we buy a car, a rifle, or a priming tool.

Mine experience with the Lee Ergo Priming tool wasn't so good. I'm glad those of you that have purchased one and have had good luck with the tool are happy with it.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-02-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lxk308 View Post
    I gave up using my ERGO primer because of the constant jams. The ERGO was just a source of frustration. I tried using it at various angles but this did not help. I just threw it into the 'junk' drawer and went back to the Sinclair priming tool.
    After I broke 3 of the older lee auto prime tools over many years I bought a Sinclair priming tool.
    If Lee only made a auto prime out of better materials they would have a great priming tool yes it would cost more.
    NRA Life Member

Yes the old type auto primes were a hassle but they give me a good "feel" for the primer seating. I stocked up on repair parts and have a zip lock bag full of old parts for spares. I now have four refurbished old style auto primes for use, should last me till I wind up in a urn!

Boolit Buddy

Same here, broke one of my old ones, couldn't find my spare, bought an ergo and don't like it. I got it to work, but back to the old ones for me. Now have one setup for LP, one for SP and a backup... and a couple "CLEAR" new plastic covers that actually stay in place! Life is good now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast