RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tigger my main cat is sick

Moderator Emeritus

Tigger my main cat is sick

Poor Tigger went to the vet today, drew blood and an injection to try to get him to eat. He is down to 9 pounds from 15 pounds. Nothing wrong from the exam but blood work for kidney and liver won't be back until tomorrow. Been hand feeding him and spoiling him to try to get some weight back on his body. Hope the tests come out okay

Had to apply for a Care Credit card to pay the vet, my budget is not up to any extra until April... hate when a family member(pets are family) is ill.

Generous Donator

Sorry to hear about your cat. Really hard when they get sick because it is hard for them to tell you what is wrong.

Boolit Master
    Blood panel should tell the story. Hopefully just a treatable chemical imbalance. How old is Tigger?

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Pets are family, don't you know it. Wife & I have cats, all are special. Prayers for your special one gets over this "yes God looks over them also".

How old is he?
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Perma-Banned

I can totally empathize with you Mary. My oldest, most favorite cat, lived to be 18 years old, and a screw-up by the Vet put him on the path to the end. You might try boiled chicken livers, mashed into a paste. My mother had two Siamese cats that she spoiled rotten, feeding them only mashed chicken livers and meat baby food. Hopefully, things will work out for the best.

OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Moderator Emeritus

Tigger is 7 so not old. Hope it is minor too, he is special, when I got him he fit in my hand. My other cat is a rescue and he is family but not quite the same as when you raise them from a baby.

About a month after I got him, note width of floor boards(2 inches) to judge his length

2 years later on the same floor

Hope Tigger is ok. I'm sitting here at two in the morning because I can't get to sleep tonight. I had to put my dog down yesterday. She came to me as a stray twelve years ago and devoted her life to me. The vet told me I could have blood tests and x-rays done, but we both knew I would only be delaying the inevitable. I thought it best to send her on her way before she started really feeling sick, or started hurting.

Boolit Master
    Sorry for your loss nvbirdman. Mary, I'll be watching Tigger's thread closely.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Hope things go well Mary. I do pray for loved ones; animals included.
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Master
    hope its good news and tigger gets over what ever ails him.cats are pretty tough

nice looking cat.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master
    Prayers for Tigger. We love our pets as family. About 4 months ago we had all 4 of our cats (one at a time) come down with cat scratch fever. $2,000 vet bill, I got it after the second cat, but mine was covered by my insurance.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Hopefully he will be fine. Even with all the dogs and cats I've had I really hate losing one. But....I keep getting them. I truly don't think I could live without them around. I'm losing one very soon. Jake stumbled up to my door many years ago. He was badly beaten. He had a fractured skull, a broken jaw and an eye knocked out of it's socket. I spent a fortune getting him fixed up ....they couldn't save the eye... and he has been a great friend. He's 24 years old and slipping into a coma. He's not in pain and when he passes I hope the frost isn't to deep so I can bury him in the wild flowers with the others.

Boolit Master

Our three year old white flame point Himalayan "Scruff" just acted listless one morning without warning from the day before that anything was wrong, after we couldn't get him to eat I got worried and then noticed he seemed to be in a great deal of pain especially when touched in the belly area. We ran him down to the vet and sure enough it was the very common urinary blockage that kills so many male cats, the vet told us he was already going into shock and was only minutes from dying. They rushed him in and cleared the blockage but the news was really bad, his blood tests and results from the other testing they did showed his kidney function was down to less than 30% and if it did not improve he probably would not live more than a couple more days. His kidney function improved, against the odds according to the vet, to somewhat better than 50% but we were told he still likely would not live very long. For two weeks we gave him fluid injections, actually drip bags, and started him on a special diet that he still lives on now. It's been well over a year now and much to the vet's surprise (and our delight!!!!) he is doing fine now, happy, playful and fat but he still requires a special cat food. This is a common ailment among male cats but we have learned it does not have to be a death sentence, once the owner discovers a cat is prone to this blockage there is a cure that this vet has used very successfully on others since seeing what it did for Scruff, it's the Purina urinary health formula that is only available from a veterinarian. This is not the urinary formula cat food sold at stores by Purina and some others but rather it's ONLY available from a vet and it's not cheap at about $26 for 6 1/2 lbs but seeing Scruff happy, healthy and playful is worth every cent!

Boolit Master
    I lost my male kitten to the blockage. he was a little over a year old. took him to the vet got him the tests some shots special food. looked like he was coming around. 3 days latter he died.

Boolit Master

We have a pair of Feral mix cats. Ralph and Muffy. I suspect Muffy lead Ralph out of the wilderness. At any rate, Muffy got real thin. Real thin. We took her to the vet, which we hate, and she ran some tests. Found Muffy had a liver disease, and low thyroid. Today, I put thyroid drops in her ear, and she and Ralph are on an hepatic diet. She is plumping, Ralph likes it and all is well. The food is expensive, 50$ a big bag, and the thyroid is 25$ a month. I get five syringes a month and each night I measure out a quantity and put in her ear.
    Hey, they are family. Both of them. They do not go outside, are both fixed. Ralph is my cat, Muffy is my wife's cat. 14yrs they have owned us.
    It has been well worth it. They trashed the vynl blinds. I use pieces to paper patch with. Ralph sings in the morning to get me up. It is a routine and I would not trade it.
    They started as two little fluff balls that fit in each hand, to the Bubbas we now have.
    They are family.

Moderator Emeritus

Well liver and kidneys tests came back fine. I accidentally spilled some food in his water bowl today and he went to town on it so I kept adding more. He ate half a cup of food that way and drank a lot of water. Vet doesn't know why he is off his food, could be cancer he couldn't feel any lumps but who knows. Going to pick up some canned food tomorrow for him and hand feed him like I have been. If I hold the bowl he seems to eat more. He caught a mouse last night so was out and about rummaging around the house. Still not his normal self but a little better today.

Vet said sometimes they can just lose the will to live for some reason and a lot of pampering can snap them out of it. He is in his cat carrier with the door removed. His private cave to be away from Oreo basically. Right behind me so he can watch me at the computer.

As I watched him eat tonight I started wondering if he has a toothache too, vet checked for cavities and he was fine but he could have something jammed in between 2 teeth. Been there and it makes me cranky and I eat less. He was favoring one side of his jaw as he chewed the dry food so a switch to wet might help until it gets better.

Moderator Emeritus

Yep they are family and I will spend what it takes to get him better. Miss having him draped around my neck when I am on the computer or watching TV. He is curled up in his "cave" with his towel that he uses as a blanket. He drags that towel to me when it gets to rumpled and I have to fold it in 4 then fold one end up as a pillow for him to sleep on.

Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    We have a pair of Feral mix cats. Ralph and Muffy. I suspect Muffy lead Ralph out of the wilderness. At any rate, Muffy got real thin. Real thin. We took her to the vet, which we hate, and she ran some tests. Found Muffy had a liver disease, and low thyroid. Today, I put thyroid drops in her ear, and she and Ralph are on an hepatic diet. She is plumping, Ralph likes it and all is well. The food is expensive, 50$ a big bag, and the thyroid is 25$ a month. I get five syringes a month and each night I measure out a quantity and put in her ear.
    Hey, they are family. Both of them. They do not go outside, are both fixed. Ralph is my cat, Muffy is my wife's cat. 14yrs they have owned us.
    It has been well worth it. They trashed the vynl blinds. I use pieces to paper patch with. Ralph sings in the morning to get me up. It is a routine and I would not trade it.
    They started as two little fluff balls that fit in each hand, to the Bubbas we now have.
    They are family.

Glad the test's are negative - hoping he feels better soon - keep us posted.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    ....As I watched him eat tonight I started wondering if he has a toothache too, vet checked for cavities and he was fine but he could have something jammed in between 2 teeth. Been there and it makes me cranky and I eat less. He was favoring one side of his jaw as he chewed the dry food so a switch to wet might help until it gets better.
    I think you may be on the right track with tooth issues, I was thinking that after an earlier post.
    My Smoke is off his feed, dropped by for breakfast and barely touched it. I came home late tonight so he was a no-show. Between girlfriends and mouse-hunting I only see him when he's feeling sociable. I dread the day he needs to go to the vet, still have scars from first (and LAST) time I tried. He's feral and affectionate enough but he'll show his wild side if you get too close or try to pick him up.
    Hope Tigger gets better soon.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.