Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tigger my main cat is sick

Moderator Emeritus

Tigger is grooming, and I know he is drinking because I got the "would you fill my water bowl" stare when I got home from the range today. He just isn't eating enough

Boolit Buddy
    Been following the Tigger news and glad he is at least eating some.

They shed the weight way faster than they ever put it back on, unfortunately.

Did the vet check him for diabetes, by chance? Weight loss and water consumption come to mind.

Hope he comes around.

Boolit Master
    My Mau is always neat. I give each pet its own theme song and his song is "I'm Too Sexy" by "Right Said Fred".

He is naturally sterile, the vet said his male parts never matured past the kitten stage, but all the female cats are entranced by him and often fight for his attention.

While he has lost weight compared to several years ago his weight seems stable and he is very active. Its almost like he is growing younger, entering a second kittenhood I suppose.

Moderator Emeritus

Vet ran blood work for kidney, liver, diabetes. Tigger often gives me the stare when either the food or water is empty, I fill it, then he wanders off and doesn't drink or eat. That bowl HAS to be full!

Boolit Master

It sounds as if the vet has eliminated the really dangerous concerns so it may just be a phase he is going through. The old cat I just mentioned, "Buddy", was always a chunk until he hit around 8 or 9 years old then he suddenly dropped a lot of weight and lost his youngish look all at once it seemed. He appeared to be in good health otherwise and seemed to feel ok so we waited until vaccination time to speak to the vet about it, they too ran some tests to rule out anything major then told us to just keep an eye on him and watch for signs of anything worse. That was over 10 years ago and other than the fact he just got elderly he did fine.

Boolit Buddy
    "That bowl HAS to be full!"

I hear that a couple times a day. The difference between full and empty/stale is such a fine line.

Boolit Buddy
    We had a small female cat named Muzzee that curled up one day and stopped eating. It was two days before we could get her to start eating bits of boiled chicken. We think she had a stroke, because she seamed kinda dazed. She eventually recovered and lived another 8 years until we have to put her down.
    You might try a little shredded boiled chicken and see if he will eat better.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    I thought Tiger would be diabetic. Hope he starts eating soon
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    I seem to remember mention of a dental exam. Could it be that a toothache (gum infection) hasn't shown any obvious physical signs yet?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

I checked his teeth and jaw today. No pain, no redness or swelling. He lets me handle him all over with no issues... vet on the other hand lost blood!

Boolit Buddy
    That's because you're his best friend and he thinks the Vet is out to get him.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

Boolit Master

Older cats will indeed suffer in silence with bad teeth, the older Himalayan I have mentioned was not eating very well and had lost weight plus his coat was rumpled and ungroomed. We just assumed old age but one day I noticed he seemed to be having trouble eating and once he even let out a rather loud shriek as if in pain, then it hit me that maybe his mouth was hurting. We immediately took him to the vet who decided he needed 4 teeth removed and some serous antibiotics for the gum infection! It had been slightly over 6 months since his last check-up and his teeth were apparently ok then but the problem must have started shortly after that. The little fella must have been miserable and every time I feed him now I think of what he must have been enduring due to my oversight but that will not happen again! He has since fully recovered and regained his weight, he still looks his age but even at nearly 20 years old he is healthy active and most of all quite happy.

Boolit Master

I refer to the vet as the Torture Chamber. My guys hate it. I hope Tigger is doing well today.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master
    Agree with oldred. Cats are very stoic when it comes down to pain or illness. One of my cats has had bad tooth issues even when he was younger. We didn't notice it until it became apparent that he was losing weight. One tooth was removed. Later, during a dental cleaning the vet noticed he was flinching while under anesthesia. He found two bad teeth and removed them. We observe all of our cats to see if they are having any health issues. They won't tell you....
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Moderator Emeritus

My lab Misty loved the vet, all I had to say is lets go see the doc and she headed for the truck. Miss having a dog but until my spine is repaired I cannot keep up with one

Boolit Master

Our lady vet is a cat NUT, it's as simple as that! She loves the little critters and has a really good understanding of their ailments an general needs plus she is willing to take the time to sit and discuss problems with us, we have learned a great deal from this wonderful lady. She told us that bad breath is one of the most telling signs to look for that something may be wrong and it can be an early indicator of several ailments besides bad teeth so chronic bad breath (occasional bad breath is normal and should be of no concern) is a good indicator that a checkup is in order.

She told us that cats are pretty much subject to almost any ailment that afflicts humans except for the fact she has never seen a cat suffer from insomnia!

Boolit Master

Mary
    I had a cat for over 20 years until a couple of year ago when she just had had enough of this world. I have another cat that has been with me for 7-8 years now and he is very much his own cat. He wants attention when he wants it, let me know when the water bowl is empty, food box is empty and when he wants his litter box cleaned. Has to have his time each night and if I forget he lets me know the next few days. He has some of nicest claws and knows how to use them too.

I have had a cat with me since I was 3 weeks old, even had one when I was in the Army, much better than a dog as they don't bark, don't need to make the whole world know they have been seen.
    I have a small dog also and she is just to smart for her own good so often but I sure do like her being there and when she and cat decide it is time to play sometimes way to funny.

Hope tigger is doing much better
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Our vet and her associates are cat persons as well.
    Their office has several resident cats that required more care than their owners could afford. Some are elderly and others are younger cats with long term illnesses that require regular treatments. All look healthy and happy where they are. They roam the animal hospital freely and seem very comfortable with strangers and new arrivals of all species.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry Tigger is sick. Prayers sent.
    Our's was not eating , skinny, listless... you can tell when something is wrong...turns out he had tapeworm(s)...one pill did the trick, ask your vet about it...at least they can fix a worm problem.
    I've had cats my whole life and never had one get a tapeworm!
    Gary

Moderator Emeritus

I asked about worming him and vet said not needed because he is an indoor cat only. He is eating some, the blended food that I turn into a thick soup he laps away at and gets some nutrition in but nowhere near what he used to eat.