Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: mesh brass catchers

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

mesh brass catchers

Does anyone here use them? Pros and Cons?

I know all about the bedsheet-tarp-umbrella-etc. brass stoppers/collectors but on occasion it would be convenient to just shoot a mag of ammo and not go through the set up of the above items plus, and this is a bigger issue for me by far, wind does not always allow large pieces of fabric to be used. I have some of the E&L hard catchers however they are gun specific and I would really like something "universal" for occasional use.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    I've got a caldwell for my ar that works pretty well. I don't know if they make a more general one.
    I like that it has a zipper on the bottom to let the brass fall out. If you know someone with sewing skills it may be something you can copy or adapt.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    I recently purchased the Caldwell one with the metal frame. http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Pic-R...=brass+catcher

I primarily bought it for my 458 SOCOM upper. The brass is waaaay to expensive to let it go wondering all over the place on it's own. I also purchased 2 more of the mounts. One for my 223 upper and one for my AR10. Due to the differences in each upper I had to make a few minor adjustments. The frame is rigid but bends if you hit it hard enough. By the way if you do need to make adjustments to the frame take the mesh off first. It has velcro attachments. Any way it fits all three uppers.

Works slicker than snot. I like the fact that if I am working up a load I can grab the brass that has just been fired and put it back in the box so I can inspect for signs of overpressure.Also saves on all that bending over!!!

Banned

yup they look stupid on a gun but not as stupid as I look with my bad back trying to pick up brass

I also have the Caldwell one for my AR. I works just fine, but I find it to be a bit of a nuisance, and just one more thing to remember to put in the range bag. I usually forget to take it, and don't really miss it. I almost always shoot at home, so picking up brass is no big deal.

what I really want is something to catch pistol brass. Those things just vanish, no matter how short the grass is cut.

Boolit Bub
    For pistol brass at the house I use something like this----http://brassmagnet.com/
    Saw this site a few years ago. I found some fine mesh material in a fabric store and the wife made a couple of these up for me. Works good at the house but not real good for the range.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    For pistol brass at the house I use something like this----http://brassmagnet.com/
    Saw this site a few years ago. I found some fine mesh material in a fabric store and the wife made a couple of these up for me. Works good at the house but not real good for the range.
    Try using a minnow seine....works the same & only costs approx $30, no sewing required.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Grand Master

Not cheap but these are outstanding for rifles. http://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/

Boolit Master

I use the ones from UTG,they work well for most applications!I don't know how anyone could make it cheaper,and be more effective!
    http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Deluxe-Mes...+brass+catcher
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

I have the original Caldwel,works OK but the Gen II works better. Modded mine to be like Gen II.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    ...minnow seine...
    I actually had to google that. Had no idea that's what they were called. And yes, that netting would be perfect for catching brass.

I saw one that uses velcro on your wrist for pistol. Seems like a lot less back ache at the range!
    Using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

This one looks pretty slick
    http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/w...4/DSCN0919.jpg

50cal Ammo can and a $5 mesh expanding laundry bin.

pictures also posted in the 14th post by WarriorSoulM4
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=42&t=369937
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001