MCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rossi m92 instead of Marlin 1894c?

Boolit Master
    I hope no one took my comments about using irons on my leverguns the wrong way. Granted, I don't like optics on a lever-action, but I would much rather see a scope on a levergun than see the same gun hanging on a wall and the owner watching TV instead. Do what works to keep you shooting and hunting, and just don't punch me when I throw the occasional smart-alec comment about glass on a levergun your way, cause my time and everyone elses is coming, if we manage to live long enough. I'm just glad we have shooters who know their limitations and the limitations of their weapons and figure out ways to stay in our hobby/sport/obsession, instead of calling it quits.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

I say what works for someone I say stick with it ,because it you is maken it work for your own needs.I wear glasses all the time and I would ot be able to shoot anything unless i have a scope on all my guns but I do not but I do have scopes on what ever gun I see will work for me.i know there is no set thing for how one needs to shoot for there hobby or sport.It is them and them alone . Sorry about the one that have a problem with his 44mag marlin.Have you try a different powder.Or differnet bullet.I am like you also that only want to use one load for 2 guns that shoot the load.that is how my 357 rifle and BH is and also my 44mag rifle and Redhawk is also.all take the same load of each cartiage.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

With respect to sights for the Rossi 92, IMHO, the Marble Tang and/or the Williams Safety Replacement Peep Site are the very best! For me, the Tang does not work well, because it interferes with my hand placement, when shooting. The Williams is perfect!
    "Of All The Things I Have Lost During My Life, I Miss My Mind The Most!!!"

Boolit Bub
    Just bought a Rossi 92 in .44 mag today. I will report back after some range time.

Boolit Master

Camba--Here is a pic with tang on an octagon and scout scope on the 20".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3373.jpg  
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    fecmech you ought to try to locate the cheek piece. I was having troubles with groups after I scoped my gun, but before I had the cheek piece. The parallax is bad on scout scopes, which means if you have your head a little left of center on the scope, you miss right or vice versa. The cheek piece makes it better to get the crosshairs centered in the scope every time. I called Rossi and they wanted like 20 bucks for the cheek piece and screws and I got it in 2 weeks.

Once I loctited the base, and was conscious of centering the crosshairs every shot (they seem to float around on a scout scope) I was able to shoot nice groups.

Boolit Master

I have a Rossi 92 and several Marlins. I much prefer the Marlins.

In Remembrance
    I do not have a 357, but do want one for the wife. I do have the marlin cb in 45 colt. I have never had a rossi, and one might work just as well, but there is no way one would work better, or be any more joy to shoot. I may have just got a good one, but I will stick with marlin.

Boolit Master

The parallax is bad on scout scopes
    This scope (a cheapy) and a Leupold scout that I use have very little paralax@100yds. I generally just use the scope for load testing and when I do I pay attention to head position. For most of my shooting I use the receiver or tang sights.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master

Nice thread, been kicking around buying a 357 levergun for awhile now. I'm leaning towards the 92 with a tang sight but have been thinking about a Cimmaron 1873 as well. I have an old Winchester 92 and love that slick little action, haven't spent any time with an 1894 Marlin so can't comment but would seriously consider one if it came along. I have a few .359/.360 moulds but would plan on buying a mould for this project.
    One question for the OP, are you planning on using .38 or .357 brass?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Nice thread, been kicking around buying a 357 levergun for awhile now. I'm leaning towards the 92 with a tang sight but have been thinking about a Cimmaron 1873 as well. I have an old Winchester 92 and love that slick little action, haven't spent any time with an 1894 Marlin so can't comment but would seriously consider one if it came along. I have a few .359/.360 moulds but would plan on buying a mould for this project.
    One question for the OP, are you planning on using .38 or .357 brass?
    Those '73s are nice!

Boolit Buddy
    Fecmech,
    Nice looking rifles! Which one is your favorite? I can't help to go from side to side between the Marlins and the Rossi's. I did buy a Marlin 30-30 Win mod. 336 pre-safety a few days ago and I am still looking to get the Rossi or the Marlin in 357 mag. Ever since I landed in this forum, I cannot stop thinking about a good cast boolit designated rifle. As I get older, I also noticed that I want to go back to basics; but I do prefer to shoot a rifle with cast boolits in a caliber good enough for deer and low cost to reload for hunting and multi-purpose plinking fun.

You guys have some hunting pictures and target shooting pictures of your Rossi/Marlin 357 mag rifles (story included)?

Camba

Funny thing: read one thread on Rossi's and it's like hate mail. Lots of problems, terrible customer service, etc. Read another thread, and they are loved by all.

I recently handled a Rossi 92 at a small gun show and liked how it felt. Nice, light, compact action. I stayed away from it because of the last thread I read where all had gripes about them. Now here it's beloved by all.

Confused.

Boolit Master

Nice looking rifles! Which one is your favorite?
    Depends on what I'm doing with them. The 20" carbine has a slight accuracy edge over the 24" octagon but not much. For just wandering around and plinking the carbine gets the nod, also if I'm going to shoot a lot of max load .357 mags I shoot it(I put a recoil pad on it!). When I shoot silhouette I use the octagon because it's heavier and hangs better offhand. I like them both about equally.

Funny thing: read one thread on Rossi's and it's like hate mail. Lots of problems, terrible customer service, etc. Read another thread, and they are loved by all.
    The Devil is always in the details. My two Rossi's have been trouble free for literally multiple thousands of rounds each. They were a little stiff and rough when new but no worse than my Winchester 94 or my friends Marlin 94. The Browning B-92 was pretty along with nice and smooth but it was not as accurate as the others. They all have their quirks. I'm fairly handy so I took my Rossi's apart, changed a couple of springs, stoned the hammer hooks and now I have 2 very smooth 92's with nice 2 lb. triggers. They are not that complicated but even if you're not that handy they will smooth up with use.

If a fellow is concerned about function & feeding load some dummy rounds with the primers removed and no powder so you don't upset the store clerk. Then load them in the magazine and see how they feed. Obviously stay within SAMMI specs for cartridge OAL etc. Remember these guns were designed for RNFP bullet designs although mine have no trouble at all with SWC's. Just a thought.
    Last edited by fecmech; 12-26-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a M92 24" Octagon stainless in .357 and have been happy with it. I put a marbles ghost ring sight on it and these old eyes are able to hit the target at 100 yds.

Boolit Buddy

I have a 16" S/S Rossi 92 in .357 Mag. As I've said in other post, when I first got it I thought I had made a mistake in not buying the 20" because it was so SHORT ..... After using it for 18 months or so and putting about a 1k rounds down the tube, I LOVE IT. It is so handy to carry on foot, on the ATV or in the Jeep. It was initially very stiff and actually difficult to load to capacity, after using it awhile it is now super smooth and loads to capacity with out trouble. Pretty dang accurate even for these 61 year old diabetic eyes .....
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

As I posted earlier in this thread, I love my Rossi. I just, today, ordered a Rear, Safety Replacement, Peep Site for it. Here is a link to a great site, which is all about Rossi Lever Guns.

http://store.stevesgunz.com/

Boolit Grand Master
    I like my Marlin. Wish it had a long barrel but it does all I need.

One advantage to a Marlin is ease of disassembly. A Marlin has a simple action, no issues take it down. A Rossi is an entirely different proposition.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master

I have both - love them both. My Rossi is a .357 I bought from Steve Young - I used it to shoot pistol cartridge silhouette matches. Then I got a Marlin 32-20 for the same match, and haven't picked up the Rossi since. The stock on the Marlin fits me better, so I consistently shoot higher scores with that rifle. One thing to keep in mind with the Rossi that has not been mentioned yet - Rossi refuses to sell parts, so break an extractor and you'll have to ship the whole rifle back for repair...

Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    I have both - love them both. My Rossi is a .357 I bought from Steve Young - I used it to shoot pistol cartridge silhouette matches. Then I got a Marlin 32-20 for the same match, and haven't picked up the Rossi since. The stock on the Marlin fits me better, so I consistently shoot higher scores with that rifle. One thing to keep in mind with the Rossi that has not been mentioned yet - Rossi refuses to sell parts, so break an extractor and you'll have to ship the whole rifle back for repair...

That is not correct! Please check this link: http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.ph...ex&cPath=31_32