RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RUGER fails again

Perma-Banned

My suggestion to you is to just look elsewhere for your future guns.

I have been pleased with my Rugers, but some other brands...not so much. So, the other brands are no longer considered when I am shopping for guns.

You know what they say about insanity...repeating the same process over and over...all the while, expecting a different result.

Boolit Master
    I still own many Ruger handguns and I still consider them the Chevy Impala of firearms. Practical, reliable, reasonably accurate (sometimes better than just reasonably) and moderately priced. Their single actions are very nice looking guns, their double action wheel guns perhaps not quite so nice, and their center fire autos are - uh - visually challenged to a great degree but all have been reliable, strong, decent shooting guns in my experience.

I've owned several Ruger center fire rifles and they delivered accuracy ranging from mildly disappointing to yuck. Even so, all were solid and reliable in function.

Ruger firearms that flat don't work right out of the box are a new thing to me and a strong indicator of sloppy QA policies. I sure hope this isn't indicative of a long-term trend. It would be a shame to have one of the greatest American firearm manufacturers that ever existed go down the tubes on quality as so many others have in the past.

Uncle R.

Banned

wanna sell it?

most of my gun problems have centered around Remington brand rifles and shotguns.
    it's been everything from only being able to get 1-1/2" groups, to parts just falling off [870 mag] or flying off them [11-87] never to be seen again.
    I do not have any luck with them [outside of a model 32 trap gun, and a factory goofed up 220 swift adl that come in a bdl stock] they have all been junk. [err cheaply made]
    the shotgun with the bent to the left barrel was quite a novelty for a while, as was the one that was bent downwards and shot under everything past 10' away.

Boolit Master
    I have a number of Rugers and find them a good value. Two .22 MK II pistols both are excellent. One Single Six that had QC issues the grip frame was poorly fitted to the frame and the LR cylinder sn did not match the gun. It shot fine and I fixed the grip frame fit problem. I had a .357 new model Blackhawk that I never should have sold. It was an accurate, solid, dependable gun. I have three Ruger rifles, #3, M77 and 10-22. Nothing wrong with them always function properly, look OK and are passably accurate.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I am so angry I could spit. My 308 Ruger American won't chamber a factory 308 round. It would seem as though they installed a short chambered barrel and never got around to finish reaming the chamber.
    Any word from Ruger on this issue?
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master
    It just got sent out yesterday on their dime. Based on past experience, I fully expect them to make it right. If this was the first time I'd run into a problem with a new Ruger, I'd have no complaints--stuff happens and nobody hits a home run every at bat--but I have had problems requiring their attention with 3 of the last 5 Rugers that I bought.
    The LCP and the 44 Special Flattop have been good from the get-go, the Flattop especially so, but the Bisley New Vaquero had over-size throats, the Single Seven kept trying to upchuck the base pin, and now this Rifle with it's unfinished chamber. It didn't use to be this way.

Between 1971 and 2011 I bought at least 10 Rugers. Most of them only lingered for a while before being traded off or sold, but I still have the 10-22 I bought first, as well as my first Vaquero. Everyone was at least functional. Oh the Ruger Mini-14 was a disappointment accuracy wise, as was the 30-06, but for the most part, they were sound, solid fire arms and all of them worked. Some of them spectacularly well--I was a fool to sell that 1st Redhawk, and the Mark II heavy barrel target was another gem that I should have kept.
    What has happened in the last couple of years? Was I just lucky then, just unlucky now, or both? I have a second Single Seven currently in gun purgatory as I wait out the ten day waiting period, but I have to say I am more apprehensive, than excited. What is going to be wrong with that one?
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

I am curious,, Exactly which brand of Factory Ammo wouldn't chamber? Did you try another brand?

The problems I've seen with factory ammo lately have made me glad I handload just about everything.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I had a beautiful No.1V in 25/06. I could never get the rifle to group. I still have partial boxes of 25 cal. bullets and powders from that experience and that was 25+ years ago.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I think the number one rifles are some of the most handsome single shots I've ever seen . Every time I start getting the urge to buy one I always remember the trouble I had with the number three I had and the urge goes away . Still , some of the number ones are pretty .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    And then, there is the Ol'Coot who has never had a problem getting a #1 to shoot and shoot well.

Wish I had every one of them back in my rack! Except of course the two that have passed to a son, one of which has now passed to a Grand Daughter.

Me and my RUGER #1s - 45/70 are happy campers!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I am so angry I could spit. My 308 Ruger American won't chamber a factory 308 round. It would seem as though they installed a short chambered barrel and never got around to finish reaming the chamber. Ruger QC seems to be non-existent at this point. I just got my Single Seven back from having it repaired. Last year I had to send in my New Vaquero. Right now Ruger is batting .400 with me. 3 of the last five Rugers that I have purchased have been defective. This one takes the cake.
    You need to isolate the problem and determine if it is the chamber or the ammo and send the defective item back to the mfg with a detailed letter. (I realize this is very frustrating and the consumer should not need to perform this procedure) The Ruger should have been fired with proof rounds before leaving the factory. Try marking the brass with a black marker and re-chamber the round, remove and look for interference / contact points. This will give you an idea of where the interference is and if it is diametral clearance or length issue.

Since 308's are very common borrow a loaded round and see if it will chamber. Cartridges should be mfg'd below SAMMI max cartridge dimensions (usually towards lower end of tolerance) and chambers should be above SAMMI minimum chamber dimensions.

Good Luck.

Boolit Master
    I am so angry I could spit. My 308 Ruger American won't chamber a factory 308 round. It would seem as though they installed a short chambered barrel and never got around to finish reaming the chamber. Ruger QC seems to be non-existent at this point. I just got my Single Seven back from having it repaired. Last year I had to send in my New Vaquero. Right now Ruger is batting .400 with me. 3 of the last five Rugers that I have purchased have been defective. This one takes the cake.
    Strange..
    I have bought 6 RAR's since April and every one of them had been test fired..

How do you suppose they test fired yours if it won't chamber a round?

Boolit Buddy
    Over a decade ago my first NIB Remington wouldn't chamber a .30-06 round. Came to find out it was chambered in .270 (dont remember what the barrel said but the box definitely said .30-06 and the serial number matched). Took it back and exchanged it no problem. Remington has had two big recalls since then yet I've continued to add them to the stable. Point is every company has problems now and then. Sorry to hear you've had all the "luck" in getting the lemons.

My most accurate gun is a .308 Ruger.

Boolit Master
    And I have no idea just how accurate my RUGER American in 30/06 might be!

Reason??? Well my first test series produced a group well below an inch at 100yds and I simply quit testing, other then verifying that load a number of times.

What's not to like with a rifle in that price range preforming at that level?

I have thought about testing just to see how small I could get the groups, but it is, after all, a hunting rifle.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Vendor Sponsor

I got no answer to my question? Exactly which factory ammo were you using and did you try other brands?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I got no answer to my question? Exactly which factory ammo were you using and did you try other brands?

Randy
    Randy's question is an spot on. I would assume the OP is going to reload for this rifle (seeing that this a reloading oriented web sight). If the factory ammo wouldn't chamber then I'd try a FL or preferably a SB sized case. If the sized case wouldn't chamber either then I'd say OK you've more than likely have a issue with the chamber. One has to remember there's a lot of garbage ammo hitting the shelves too and I'd be more suspicious of that. And no I'm not a Ruger apologist , I've had my fair share of issues with Rugers too.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    Randy's question is an spot on. I would assume the OP is going to reload for this rifle (seeing that this a reloading oriented web sight). If the factory ammo wouldn't chamber then I'd try a FL or preferably a SB sized case. If the sized case wouldn't chamber either then I'd say OK you've more than likely have a issue with the chamber. One has to remember there's a lot of garbage ammo hitting the shelves too and I'd be more suspicious of that. And no I'm not a Ruger apologist , I've had my fair share of issues with Rugers too.
    The OP did post the ammo he tried, I think is was post 13. He tried Federal, Lake City and reloads. I have not seen this question asked so here it goes, could it be the caliber is mismarked, maybe its a 7mm 08 or a 260. That would sort of explain how it could have been proof tested and how the 300 savage case chambered.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

A .300 savage case will not chamber in a 7-08, and therefore by extension a .260, as that neck is even smaller. I know this because I have both the savage and 7-08 on hand right here. I form .300 savage cases out of 7-08, which will not entirely clean up the 7mm neck. It needs to be expanded to 30 cal.

I do this so my savage brass isn't marked with a .308 headstamp and inadvertently used as such.

Back to the original post, you have a right to be ticked off. If I'm not mistaken Blammer had exactly the same problem with a RAR 7-08. Send it back. Ruger will make it right.

Well, I found Blammer's thread on the same subject.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...erican-in-7-08
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 12-07-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master
    In addition to trying the 7.62, Federal, and My own reload, I also took an empty R - P case and resized it as much as I could, with the shell holder making full contact with the sizing die. The shoulder was moved Back a smidge compared to the round I had loaded conventionally. The bolt would not close on that case either. I used a 300 Savage Round, merely out of curiosity, since I don't have a set of chamber gauges for the 308. The shoulder on a SAAMI spec 300 Savage Round is just about .03" inches shorter than that of the 308. The fact that I could close the bolt on the Savage round told me that it was the cartridge case that was holding open the bolt. I did not attempt to test fire my "300". The barrel was clearly marked "308" and was 30 caliber. The ****ing thing was short chambered, not miss-stamped, not another caliber. The chamber was almost certainly not finish reamed, or else the reamer was withdrawn too soon. Or maybe it was supposed to be a 30 TC.
    Anyway, the rifle is in Ruger's hands, awaiting repair. And I am still frosted. They promise me a test target after repairs are complete. If I get it, I'll post a picture of it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

To: ghoglin@hotmail.com
    Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 13:06:46 -0500
    Subject: rma 344738

Good afternoon-

"We are sending this email in regards to the AMERICAN serial number 692-7650 that was sent into us for service. Our technicians found this firearm needs to be replaced. We would like to offer you a new rifle of the same model at no charge. We will need a dealer for the transfer of the replacement firearm. Ways to get in contact with us are listed within this email. Thank you and have a nice day."

This is the e-mail I received yesterday. I called Ms Brown to discuss this matter. I am an un-happy camper. Extremely so. I strongly urge anyone buying one of these to take a dummy round with you and test the feeding and chambering of the firearm before taking delivery. Save yourself some grief. I will not be buying any more Rugers in the foreseeable future. They have great customer service but you need it.