Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to purchase Contender need advice

Boolit Master

Looking to purchase Contender need advice

So I purchased a .41 Rem. barrel only and am looking to complete by purchasing a complete pistol or just receiver and grips as I find them. I'm in no rush and getting a feel for what the market is bringing. My brother-n-law has a contender and hasn't shot it in many yrs that I know 0f so plan on holding out for what I want or a good deal.

I'm looking at 30-30 or 30Herrett calibers. Is there anything I should be on the look out for? Any othe calibers that may be fun in this set up?

Thanks
    DWD

Boolit Master
    I asked around about the Contender recently because a friend had one and when he tried installing a .22 RF barrel the gun locked up tight and couldn't be opened. He was told by the LGS that it would have to be sent back to the factory.
    Apparently there are two styles of locking bolt. One of these bolts doesn't always work with some barrels made for Contenders with the other style bolt.

Boolit Master
    I my experience I would make sure the serial number is over 195,000. Thats is where TC went to easy open and made other enhancements to the frames. Serial numbers that started with an A were armor alloy, plated and can be a pain in the butt. Look at the breach block for wear & corrosion. Lots of good frames out there that were barely used, some are just plain shot (used up), and some are stretched.
    Last edited by Iowa Fox; 11-30-2014 at 02:05 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    A lot of the early frames have been converted to the later easy open feature. You can tell by looking at the frame if it has been converted but I don't recall how to tell. Someone here should know. I sold all my Contender stuff a while back because I didn't use it anymore. Seems like the prices are actually down on them so you maybe able to get a deal. Great system in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    I like to match the cartridge size with the barrel length.

The OP asked about 30-30 and .30 Herret.

I have a 10" .30 Herret and really like that one ...... it's very portable and well balanced.

Now if you want to go .30-30 ...... I like my 14" for that ....... you see, as I move up in case capacity .... I am switching up to longer barrels. Of course the longer barrels don't balance as well. I have often thought that some of my best 14" barrels ought to have a permanent muzzle brake or flash hider installed to make them into 16" plus so I could switch them into a rifle barrel. Now we are balanced again.

A lot of folks gave up on the .30 Herret because of the case forming chores. It is a job but once they are made and not lost in the field ..... they will give you good service unless you don't neck size .... then you'll stretch them. Lately ...... and I would consider this ... someone thought of long throating the .30 Herret to the point where the neck comes to where the original case (the .30-30) ends. Now, you have the benefits of the Herret (better efficiency and accuracy in short barrels) but not the chopping of brass.

If you want to go 14" or longer, the .30-30 would be better .... more power and less work. There are some pretty rambunchous wildcats in the .30's that put the .30-30 to shame but as was elluded to above, frame stetching concerns me with those.

Another real sweet number is the 7mm TCU. That one works well in barrels as short as 10" ....... but also longer ones right on into the rifle lengths. I have a 14" and a 21" in that one ........ real keepers.

One of the problems with the Contenders is that Thompson has not always made their barrels as well as they should. That was amplified with their acquisition by S&W .... in spades. The issue here is chambers not being concentric with the bore. You'll pull your hair out on that one.

Custom barrel makers have been around for a while. It is said that SSK is probably bar none the best of the batch. Bullberry is perhaps second and MGM is third. Their output beats Thompson pretty handly. But you'll pay for it!

I have just one custom .... a Bullberry in a 20" bull .22 Hornet and it's snake eyes! My 10" (bull) Thompson made barrel in .22 Hornet ain't shabby either.

In .223, I have a 21" carbine barrel that is giving me fits! The 14" in the same is doing OK but I have not worked with it as much as I should.

Bolts can be changed pretty readily when you can source them and that's the heart of the lock up issue also mentioned earlier in this thread. The lockup method of the Contender and for that matter the Encore is not real swift ...... as it was explained to me, it's a system that fell out of favor in shotguns around the begining of WWI ..... yes, WWI. That is why I like to stay in lighter cartridges ...... other's don't and claim to do well. To each their own I guess.

Another problem with the system is that the lock time is pretty slow. Thus, you really need to hone your system of how you hold your Contender/Encore .... if it drifts, it will raise cob with your accuracy. A cartridge with less recoil suits these issues better than a hard kicker in my opinion because you can do more funky holds if you are not going to have the hammer stuck in your forehead after the shot.

A weak hammer spring, and they like to lose tension, will also affect lock time. A stiffer spring will not only speed lock time but also reduce misfires. A word of caution: They are a little jewel to change as I have read. There are some vids on it however. One of mine is weak and I am thinking about a Smith for that manuever!

Where the system really excells ...... is in cartridge changeability ........

Frames start out around 200 ........ and most of my pistol barrels ran 150 ....... the rifle barrels are more in the range of 200 ....... That bullberry (barely used) was pushing upper 2's.

I skulk around in the Grey Beard forum for these kind of jewels. Another site is Specialty Pistols but they are priced higher than the GBO forum.

I wish I could say that I have been fooling with these for sometime but I have only been into them for a few years. They are a bit of a challenge, and will try your patience sometimes, but on balance, I think they are well worth a look.

It's been a world wind romance but I am glad I signed up!

Enjoy!

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 11-30-2014 at 03:38 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

THe rumor is the Contenders are going away so the prices are increasing on the frames and barrels. Since S&W moved the T/C operations they have gotten kinda picky on sending out parts. Things like locking bolts, ejectors, berrel tenons, springs, etc. used to be sent out promptly when you called them.

As far a a Contender not opening they haven't been a problem for me if the hinge pin is driven out carefully. A marker on the locking bolts will usually reveal the problem.

The easy opens are the better choice on the Gen 1 frames , Gen 1 frames have adjustable triggers to a degree that you can get fairly light for hunting. Without knowing the serial #'s you can spot a easy open frame by the pin though the frame on the side near the Mountian lions lower foot on the engraving. Non easy opens have no such pin on the side . Gen 1 frames if you cock the hammer and then let it down , you have to open and close it to reset it so the hammer will cock again. G2 frames you don't have to open & close to reset the hammer. G2's have non adjustable triggers , you have to change springs . I have 2 easy open frames & a fellow that used to work with me bought a non easy open contender and it is a noticable difference in pressure it takes to break open the action.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Here's a pic to show the hinge pin locations for the Easy-Open and Non-Easy-Open G1 Frames. I don't have a G2 so I'm not sure how those are made.
    A Contender was the first gun I bought when I turned 21. I've owned many different barrels over the years. They are a very fun platform.

Attachment 123270

Boolit Mold
    Sometimes barrels come from nowhere, a co-worker that knew I had a contender asked if I wanted another barrel. He knew of one for sale but didn't know what caliber, the guy had sold his others and found this one later, only wanted $20. for it.

I have wasted that amount of money once or twice before so I gave him the money.

A few days later he came in with a 14" barrel and forearm, stamped on the side was 45 Winchester Magnum. Expensive to feed factory but not bad to reload.

Boolit Master

35 Remington, 14 inch, if you can find one nowadays. This caliber is awesome in the Contender, cast boolits or j words!

Also, the .44 magnum is great in a 14" barrel.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    35 Rem. is definetly a caliber I have been thinking of also. Thanks to everyone for posting I'm still reading alot at Greybeards and Ed's but this has answered at least one question already. Now just have to wait and hope the funds are available when the deal comes knocking.

Boolit Master
    For years I've heard many complain about all the bad things that happen with Contenders and it's common knowledge they made some bad barrels but I've been lucky as all of mine are good. Take a look at Mike Bellm's T/C site and you'll get the idea. If you get a good one and learn all the tricks of loading and shooting them you'll have lots of fun. You'll also get addicted and probably go broke buying all the extra barrels you'll want to try.

Quote Originally Posted by lovedogs View Post
    For years I've heard many complain about all the bad things that happen with Contenders and it's common knowledge they made some bad barrels but I've been lucky as all of mine are good. Take a look at Mike Bellm's T/C site and you'll get the idea. If you get a good one and learn all the tricks of loading and shooting them you'll have lots of fun. You'll also get addicted and probably go broke buying all the extra barrels you'll want to try.
    I wouldn't say they made bad barrels, just some with pretty long throats.

Boolit Master

If you are going to get a new barrel for an existing frame, be sure you know which "Gen" it is and tell the barrel mfg.
    Do not order a barrel from TC. I did and it took almost a year to get it and it wouldn't work when it got here.

I had to have a local gunsmith to modify it to work with my Gen 2 frame.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    THe rumor is the Contenders are going away so the prices are increasing on the frames and barrels. Since S&W moved the T/C operations they have gotten kinda picky on sending out parts. Things like locking bolts, ejectors, berrel tenons, springs, etc. used to be sent out promptly when you called them.

As far a a Contender not opening they haven't been a problem for me if the hinge pin is driven out carefully. A marker on the locking bolts will usually reveal the problem.
    No rumor, they are gone. The Encore is the only thing left and on it's last leg.

Boolit Master
    I'm not too sure they are gone. I have a new 2014 T/C catalog and the contender is still listed. Also heard that S&W made another run of them. I guess the demand is still there.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post

As far as a Contender not opening they haven't been a problem for me if the hinge pin is driven out carefully. A marker on the locking bolts will usually reveal the problem.
    You are right about the hinge pin, just carefully drive it out and the barrel will come off.

Boolit Master
    I have a 14" 30-30 with a muzzle tamer, it is my favorite barrel.. Muzzle rise is almost zero. Also have 14" 44 mag barrel that is almost as much fun, no muzzle tamer. 30 Herrett I have not had all that long so I have not worked with it as much but just last week I prepared 50 cases and loaded them with a 21 grains of 2400 beneath a Lyman 311359, I hope to try them out next week. I have also a 223, 357, all 10", and also a 7 MM supermag, a caliber that died aborning as they say, was supposed to compete with the 7 TCU but failed miserably, I need more barrels because Contender is just too much fun to be without. About "bad barrels" I have not had one for my Contender but when I got my TCR 87 with a 45-70 barrel the chamber had eight perfectly formed corners from a bad reamer apparently. Of course this was years ago and I sent it back and they replaced it quickly.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    How can you tell the difference from a Gen1 vs. Gen2? The barrel I purchased looks to have been unfired and 20yrs old, still in original box.

DWD
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    If you are going to get a new barrel for an existing frame, be sure you know which "Gen" it is and tell the barrel mfg.
    Do not order a barrel from TC. I did and it took almost a year to get it and it wouldn't work when it got here.

I had to have a local gunsmith to modify it to work with my Gen 2 frame.

Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    I'm not too sure they are gone. I have a new 2014 T/C catalog and the contender is still listed. Also heard that S&W made another run of them. I guess the demand is still there.
    Try to get one. My dealer was told by his distributors back in August that the Contender has been dropped by S&W.