Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: My first time.

My first time.

I cast my first 50 bullets today!

I used my new Lee 20 lb furnace, Lyman lead thermometer, Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold TL358-158-2R and my free processed range scrap. I cleaned the new mold, sprayed it with Kroil, wiped it, and smoked it with a Bic lighter. My mold started dropping shinny well defined bullets on the 2rd try.

This is going to be very addictive.

My mold dropped 163 gr. bullets with my refined lead alloy. I may need to add tin or something else. I'm looking forward to using the Hi-Tek coating, sizing, loading and testing.

Thank you to all who post their experiences.

Matt
    If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode...it's probably not worth shooting.

Boolit Master

Hey Matt:
    Welcome to thew CastBoolits.
    I'm in my man cave dropping some .735 round balls and some 410459's.
    Wet and chilly here. good day to cast.
    regards
    Jack

Congrats on your first. Your right it is addictive. I came back to it about 2 years ago and haven't fired another jacketed boolit since. Now go shoot em and cast some more!

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the addiction! You won't save ANY money, but you can shoot more for the same money. I got into casting in order to shoot my suppressed stuff for lots less than I could buy factory. And in some cases couldn't get any factory subs cause they aren't made (357MAX). I enjoy casting almost as much as shooting........ALMOST.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by strobro32 View Post
    Matt
    Any time is a good time to start. Did sinkers with Grampa over 40 years ago.
    Casting slugs for over 30 years.
    I've a 4 day weekend and will be making some 9's to replenish stock.
    3-4 hours to get 1000 or so. Auto's have a big apatite.

Congrats!! I see many, many bollits in your future!!

Boolit Master

I used my new Lee 20 lb furnace, Lyman lead thermometer, Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold TL358-158-2R and my free processed range scrap. I cleaned the new mold, sprayed it with Kroil, wiped it, and smoked it with a Bic lighter. My mold started dropping shinny well defined bullets on the 2rd try.

My mold dropped 163 gr. bullets with my refined lead alloy. I may need to add tin or something else. I'm looking forward to using the Hi-Tek coating, sizing, loading and testing.

Matt
    Way to go!

Now you are one of us.

( Hmmm... I meant that as a compliment but upon seeing it in black and white, I am not so sure.)

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Congrats 32, It does feel sweet don't it?? Just did my first a few day ago.
    Am still loving it.. Isn't this place just A fantastic resource? I have learned
    an ineradicable amount & haven't even scratched the surface of the Archives.
    Congrats & continued success.. I

Matt
    Congrats on your first casting session!

If your not quite set up yet for the Hi-Tec coating, why not just try tumble lubing some with a squirt of Lee Liquid Alox and getting some loaded up. Just a suggestion to get you out there shooting those boolits faster. Good luck with them!

Congratulations and welcome to the addiction/curse.
    As far as the weight of your boolits. It is very common to have the boolits weigh heavier than the stated weight for the mold. As you know, different alloys have different weight. You are well within the normal drop range for the alloy you are using. I get somewhat heavier weight when using refined range scrap as well.
    I am assuming you are using that boolit in the 38 special/ 357 mag. If they are dropping at a diameter of .357 or greater but less than .360, I would tumble lube them with Lee liquid alox or White Label X lox, load, and shoot them to see how they work. You may end up wanting to resize them to just larger than groove size in your barrel. That can be determined later after you find out how they work.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    How sweet it is! Congratulations!
    For pretty - fully filled out bullets: bring pot alloy & mold up to temperature so that a 5 second pour frots the sprue puddle in 5 seconds. They won't be frosted, the bullet bases will be sharp and no lead smear on the mold. Plus with good rhythm, the Bell Curve weights will be with 1gr
    Regards
    John

I also cast 50- .380 bullets last night. It was a good way to relax after eating bird.

I think I may need to recast the lot. The bullets are very soft, almost pure lead. My fingernail easily leaves a dent. I think I will alloy them with some tin. I'm thinking 20:1. I will check the resale stores today for some pewter.

Is pure lead and Hi-Tek coating fine for 9mm subsonic loads?

Edit:

Dang you cast boolit gurus! I just found what appears to be a much faster, easier, cleaner and cheaper way to powder coat. This changes my strategy.

I must test and report back.
    Last edited by strobro32; 11-28-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: more wisdom
    If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode...it's probably not worth shooting.

This powder coating process took 3 minutes to prep, 20 minutes dry tumbling in a Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler, 25 minutes to bake and 1 minute to drop in a bucket of water. I think they turned out very nice.

Now to load some unsized and sized to .356 and test.

I'm going to need a bigger boat.... I mean multi cavity mold.

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats and welcome to the affliction! Looks like everything is going well for you, nice job. May try rotating two moulds after you get your rhythm down, that will make a pile of boolits in no time. 4-6 cav moulds was a big step forward for me but looks like you're doing quite well. Good looking boolits, may have to try that PC thing someday.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Hmmm ain't no turning back now
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

This powder coating process took 3 minutes to prep, 20 minutes dry tumbling in a Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler, 25 minutes to bake and 1 minute to drop in a bucket of water. I think they turned out very nice.

Now to load some unsized and sized to .356 and test.

Yep New way to PC how much powder did you put in?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    how much powder did you put in?
    I bought a 1 lb. container from Harbor Freight for $6. I've been dry tumble coating the bullets. I've coated about 250-9mm, 150-.380, 50-.45 and 150-300BOs. I say I've used very little of the 1 lb. container.

I've also been dropping the cast bullets in water and the hardness has increased. I also drop them in water after powder coating. They are much harder than when I cooled them on a cotton towel.