Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 34 of 70 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW ! ! T/L Liquid Lube

Boolit Buddy
    Big Felipe, I am using Bens TLL on both the Lee 452 315 gr RF and the Lyman 340 Gr. I do one coat, then gc and through a 454 lee sizer. I then do a second coat. I am shooting these in my SRH Casull over 12.5 gr of Blue Dot with no leading. The Lyman is particularly accurate rch

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    One of my favorite "big pluses" for using Ben' Liquid Lube is : How it cleans up my boolits after I "kake cut" them out of the pan of Ben's Red.
    Yes I'm one of those poor souls who never has fallen in to a good deal for a lube-sizer ( things like that are very scarce up my way) So I just cut out all my rifle boolits (along with all my pistol boolits) from pans of Ben's Red. If any of you have done that you know you don't get really clean smooth boolits but more like fuzzy messy boolits with extra lube scattered here and there ...especial on the nose.
    I'm thinking it has to be the solvents in the BLL that does the trick but it fixes the Ben's Red in the lube grooves, but smoothes out all but the worst messes that show up on the boolits. The only thing I have to do after they are dry and just before loading is to slide the base of the boolit or gas check over a piece of paper towel to remove any excess that the tumble & roll does not reach! It turns sticky messy boolits into things that are a pleasure to load!

" Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    One of my favorite "big pluses" for using Ben' Liquid Lube is : How it cleans up my boolits after I "kake cut" them out of the pan of Ben's Red.
    Yes I'm one of those poor souls who never has fallen in to a good deal for a lube-sizer ( things like that are very scarce up my way) So I just cut out all my rifle boolits (along with all my pistol boolits) from pans of Ben's Red. If any of you have done that you know you don't get really clean smooth boolits but more like fuzzy messy boolits with extra lube scattered here and there ...especial on the nose.
    I'm thinking it has to be the solvents in the BLL that does the trick but it fixes the Ben's Red in the lube grooves, but smoothes out all but the worst messes that show up on the boolits. The only thing I have to do after they are dry and just before loading is to slide the base of the boolit or gas check over a piece of paper towel to remove any excess that the tumble & roll does not reach! It turns sticky messy boolits into things that are a pleasure to load!

I like the idea of what you say, but can you please expand on how "exactly" you are using BLL to "fix" the boolits you get out after the pan cutting?

Thanks in advance,
    Will

Boolit Master
    Simple: Just kake cut the boolits and drop them into your BLL bucket ( which should be clean) a few drops of BLL on the bottom then start the random rolling process, When things looks smooth and lightly coated pour them out on to a wax paper or polyethelene container lid. Stand them up with foreceps or needle nose pliers and wait 24 hrs ( or less if you have a fan blowing on them) you will find the only cleaning you need before loading is a quick wipe of the bases on a paper towel ( You may not need that either...it may just be me)
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

I have been doing pretty much the same thing only I drop my hot cast bullets into a small glass dish with a dollop of Ben's Red Variant (Different Carnuaba source)

Every 20 boolits or so I give the dish a little swirl action to spread the lube evenly.
    When the dish starts getting full and the boolits start cooling off I transfer them into a sealable container and add a small shot of ben's Liquid Lube. One quick swirl and the Ben's red turns amber as it sort of combines with the Liquid Lube.

I have a drying block I made from packing foam. Used the dremel to make bullet shaped hollows so the bases would be up in the air. Seldom do I bother with wiping bases, noses get a wipe after they are loaded so they look nice and shiny.

The swirl/tumble action in the glass dish seems to help move lube into the grooves. And I am not using a lot.

The mix is I think perhaps a bit more tacky than straight BLL, but still way better than warm Ben's Red.
    I mostly do this only on high velocity rifle rounds. Pistol seems to do just fine with a coat or 2 of BLL.

Boolit Master
    may I just add: modifying Ben's Red Is not Ben's Red anymore!

Hey, Ben! I'm back! In review - my (new) 45-70 Rolling Block would leave slivers/splinters of lead in the first 3 - 4 inches of the bore. I tried bullets of BHN 6, 8, 10 even (in desperation) 29!! Everything left slivers. Tied half a dozen lubes in combination with the different hardness of lead, still got slivers. I even got some PC bullets from a friend. BUT I did notice that Ben's Red gave me the cleanest bore so that became my smokeless lube of choice. Then I started dipping my lubed bullets in Ben's Liquid Lube, but I use 60% Johnson's Liquid Wax and 40% Alox. It was even better!!

Then someone suggested I try a pure lead bullet. Well, the slivers/splinters disappeared! I've cranked that 500 grain bullet up to 1,350 fps no leading, no burn through, and 100 yard 5-shot groups where you have a hard time telling where bullet 4 and 5 went through the paper. I'm sure I could crank it up to another plateau and have no problems because of the lube combination. But I'm pushing pressure limits and while the rifle may be able to shoot better, I don't think I can. FANTASTIC LUBES!!! Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is great performance from your 45-70.

Speaking of plateaus, you're getting close to a " recoil plateau " also, at least it would be for me...............

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Simple: Just kake cut the boolits and drop them into your BLL bucket ( which should be clean) a few drops of BLL on the bottom then start the random rolling process, When things looks smooth and lightly coated pour them out on to a wax paper or polyethelene container lid. Stand them up with foreceps or needle nose pliers and wait 24 hrs ( or less if you have a fan blowing on them) you will find the only cleaning you need before loading is a quick wipe of the bases on a paper towel ( You may not need that either...it may just be me)
    Thanks. I will definitely give it a try on my next batch

Boolit Master

Some questions were asked during the early stages of this thread about B.L.L. / B.L.O.O.D.'s suitability for use on paper-patches, and, as far as I got with this massively-expanded thread, it appeared that nobody had tried yet.

Pop and I are in early experimenting with it in a .577-.450 MH MKII. The rifle's got some forend stability issues that we are attending to, so I can't say much for accuracy yet, but what I can tell you:

1. After you've dried the water out of your paper patches and have them shrunk on tight, you can tumble in Ben's lube just like with naked boolits, albeit with a little more lube to account for soaking into the paper. It does not cause the paper to swell or unravel, and you can stand the boolits nose-down in a plastic ammo tray to dry.

2. You can also dip the boolit end of a loaded paper-patched cartridge in the stuff and have pretty good results. The Brits apparently did this with beeswax back in the day.

3. You get a nice hard finish that is probably as water-proofing as anything that was used on P.P. cartridges in antiquity, though I'll have a hard time proving it with the stainless/synthetic rifle I now reserve for nasty days like that.

4. It seemed to do an excellent job of removing any ancient Nepalese goobers that might have been left behind after my initial bore scrubbing. After shooting with BLL paper patches and Triple 7 yesterday, I first cleaned with Break Free on a bronze brush, at which point, we decided to jag up a patch smeared with JB paste to see if there was anything still left behind. We got NOTHING out of that bore but clean JB paste. How much of that is BLL, how much is the scrubbing action of linen paper patch fibers, and how much was just simply me cleaning, but there's no negative in the system that I can see.

5. It appears to be a GREAT formula for consistent P.P. velocities. Dad loaded a handful of 540 grainers that turned out to be too heavy or slow to stabilize properly, but over the chrono, the S.D. for ten of them was FIVE FPS. I think between the patches scrubbing and the thin, stiff nature of the lube, this does very well in the C.O.R.E. department mentioned in the Quest thread.

As I say, not much due to the early stages and mechanical issues, but for what it's worth, promising.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Well, another successful test today. 38 Special cartridge with Miha's 125 HP and that smooth sided 140 grain boolet, the manufacturer escapes me now. The load was a few .tenth's of a grains under max of Unique fired in S&W stainless revolver and a Marlin 357 carbine. All shot offhand at close range with some HP testing into water. ( Not enough velocity in pistol but amazing in rifle.) The HP boolets were very soft and I don't remember the others.

Accuracy was very good for just playing around. The bore of the wheel gun was perfect except for the muzzle where there was something dark that mostly wiped away with a Q-tip. There was a very pronounced star ring on the muzzle that wipes away with a finger. I know I got way too much lube on those hollow point slugs. They looked TL'd- there was that much on them.

The rifle bore was perfect except for a dark spot back almost to the rear sight. I may try some Kroil on a brush and I may just keep shooting to see what happens.

Anyway, I'm pleased. If we don't quit bragging on your lube, your head will swell up and none of your hats will fit...

Dale

Red face Ben's Red + Ben's Liquid Lube

While I've certainly been "kicked" I'm relatively recoil insensitive. Good training at a young age that's carried on into my advanced years.
    But a 10-shot group at 100 yards (off the bench) helps me forget the shoulder and warms the heart.

Have yet to zero in good loads as I am still working up (when life allows) using the 311332 over 4064 in my Ruger American 308 ..
    After 20 or 30 rounds down range , love just stuffing a dry cloth down the bore just once and it is shiny and mirror clean !
    My mix might be a bit off as they dry a bit on the sticky side .. will add a little more wax to the ratio here .
    Like the quick tumble after the sizing/Ben's red steps.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

End of the experimen

All results must be repeatable to be usable. This is the third time I've gotten the same results from the same load. Note that the bullet is pure lead, no tin, no antimony, just lead. There was absolutely NO sign or indication of leading after 5 shots and I scrubbed that bore looking for it. Ben's Red has repeatedly performed beyond expectations.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMR SR 4759 27 Hoch 459500.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	142818

I've also been experimenting with a lighter bullet. Previously I'd found a repeatable excellent grouping load but felt there was higher velocity load that could produce even better results. Pictured is the most recent test. Again, a pure lead bullet. Again, absolutely NO leading or indication of leading. Ben's Red performed WAY beyond expectations. Yes, that average velocity is 1,77967 fps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMR SR 4759 27 Lyman 457193.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	142819

Both were shot at 100 yards, iron sights, off the bench. The rifle weights 12 lbs, and there was recoil. However, I'm fortunate in that I'm relatively recoil insensitive, in spite of age, either though luck or good training as a youngster. It was 90°F, 54% humidity, 29.92 inHg Relative and falling (big storms on the way), 3 mph winds left to right. This is the end because a 1/2 grain increase in powder will push the pressures over the safe maximum.

Thank you, Ben!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Toymaker,

Welcome to the Ben's Red Club.
    I'm very happy it is working well for you.

Best,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 06-24-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Boolit Master

Ben,

You are going to have to appoint a moderator to take over this thread so you have time to scrape wood, cast bullets and shoot them.

Thanks again for the BLL work. I have spread this around in my little part of the world.

Now I've gone and done it, Ben! I tried to lead up my bore using just the BLL as a lube at my estimated 2500+ velocity using an un-proven bullet in my 7.62x51, Mauser FR-8. I tumble lubed 3 times with BLL just to give it a chance. I loaded the 160gr Lee 312-155-2R bullets sized .312" over 41.0gr W760 and WLR primers. Never tried this bullet before in the FR-8 so, gave it an OAL of 2.660". Shot with a dirty barrel. It was getting late and I didn't bring enough rifles to rotate for cooling so, let the barrel heat up more than I ever would another time (just sizzling). 19 shots at 100 yards...

After throwing out the first shot, the next 8 went into 2.603" and the next 10 went into 2.025". These groups are as good or better than I've got to date with this rifle!

Prior to cleaning the bore, I took a peek...it looked better than when I started shooting! I pushed a wet bronze bore brush back and forth 25 times, followed by 3 wet patches (Hoppes#9) and two dry ones. NO LEADING AT ALL!!! WOW!!!

Ben, this BLL is outstanding stuff!

Yodogsandman, i'd say that was a torture test for sure. Sounds like that FR likes BLL lube.

I'm going to try it with everything, now! With no reservation!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    I'm going to try it with everything, now! With no reservation!
    Everything that i cast gets BLL used on it. I love using it as a top coat for my boolits that i run through the lubrisizer using Ben's Red in the lube grooves. Can't beat the performance it provides, and it can be made in a snap. At this point i am satisfied to use both BLL & Ben's Red in tandom. However i am in the process of test firing different boolits,in a couple different calibers using just BLL. When i get some range time i will report back. I have no doubt the results will be satisfactory. Again EXCELLENT job with these lubes Ben.