RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Substituting BE-86 for Unique

Substituting BE-86 for Unique

I have a lot of BE-86 and I'm low on unique. Has anyone tried BE-86 in cast rifle loads?
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master
    Every single one..handgun too!!!
    First thing is you will find that Grain for Grain seems a Good starting point...actually mostly I just stay there..a bit softer but...IDC
    The Smaller Calibers...ie 221Fireball and 222Rem seem to like BE-86 Better.. tho the 221 is Now getting Nitro100NF...just as experiment!!

Yes. I use it in 7.62x54R following the C.E. Harris cast bullet loads for military rifles article.

I use an unchecked Lee 312160 with (I think) 7grs BE-86. I followed the data for the faster Bullseye powder group rather than the Unique powder group.

I have not chrono'd it, but it plinks well

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TribunusSanGeorgii View Post
    Yes. I use it in 7.62x54R following the C.E. Harris cast bullet loads for military rifles article.

I use an unchecked Lee 312160 with (I think) 7grs BE-86. I followed the data for the faster Bullseye powder group rather than the Unique powder group.

I have not chrono'd it, but it plinks well
    Load er up like it is Unique...You gonna Like It!!

I have been looking for a substitute for Unique. Can BE-86 be substituted in all situations grain for grain ? Are there any other identical substitutes since BE-86 is also an Alliant product that will soon be impossible to find ?

Boolit Buddy
    Be-86 has a slower burn rate than unique and is slower than Herco. I can assume when people say you can use Unique data it is because it is a slower powder and you are unlikely to get into trouble but the performance will be lower.

Looking at the latest Hodgdon burn rate chart BE-86 is close in burn rate to AA5 (which is good stuff) and HS-6. But, as always, use the correct data.

https://hodgdonpowderco.com/wp-conte...teschart-1.pdf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I have been looking for a substitute for Unique. Can BE-86 be substituted in all situations grain for grain ? Are there any other identical substitutes since BE-86 is also an Alliant product that will soon be impossible to find ?
    Darn good Question.. I discovered that BE-86 is some other powder, except with flash retardant...they say...All I know is, all I have put it in, have been Grain for Grain (Not Volume), weight,,, it works...in general BE-86 is slightly slower than Unique...but, Not enough to keep ya from being Happy with Starting loads!! for Me anyway!! I will cross the "no Aliant powders Available" bridge when/if I get to it.. Gonna be a Hard thing for me, as I have always used Mostly Hercules/Aliant Powders!!!

Boolit Master

BE-86 and Power Pistol are pretty close in grain for grain in a 10mm.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    BE-86 and Power Pistol are pretty close in grain for grain in a 10mm.
    Perhaps it is Power Pistol that BE-86 actually Is, except with flash suppressant.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...r-Pistol-blast
    Last edited by racepres; 05-15-2024 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I have also been looking for a substitute for Alliant Unique. So far I have been able to use Herco and Accurate #5 in my pistol loads. The Accurate #5 has worked very well so far in 7.62x25 Tokarev, and 32-20 revolver loads. Herco has been very accurate in my 7.62x38R Mosin Nagant revolver.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    I have also been looking for a substitute for Alliant Unique. So far I have been able to use Herco and Accurate #5 in my pistol loads. The Accurate #5 has worked very well so far in 7.62x25 Tokarev, and 32-20 revolver loads. Herco has been very accurate in my 7.62x38R Mosin Nagant revolver.

Wayne
    2 powders instead of one.. if I get where I cannot get Unique, nor BE-86...I may look to WSF...Maybe...Someone try it out OK??

WSF works fine in 40sw with 165gr cast. About the same as hp38.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    WSF works fine in 40sw with 165gr cast. About the same as hp38.
    But...In the Old Days...Unique was very specializes also...Wonderment is...What off the Wall Uses is WSF???
    or...What makes Unique...Truly Unique!!!! use in 25ACP to 30-06!!!