Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: marlin x7

marlin x7

I am looking at buying a new 222rem and looking at the marlin x7 ,this will a cast only rifle ,55gr lyman ,at round 1800fps for small game ,has anyone own one ,shot one ,are they any good ?cheers ,roo

I bought one over a year ago for my grandson in 7mm-08 cal. On the very first load I tried using H4895 powder and 140 gr. Nosler bullets it printed a 1/2 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards. Load testing ended right there with that load.

well that sounds good and thank you

Banned

I have a marlin XL7, good shooter good gun.
    sound like you have/want the XS7 for 222 rem.

Price was right around $300 new I think.

put another 200 on that ,the aussie dollar is 0,77cents atm ,I saw a used one in 223 for $450 the other day but my heart will be the 222 always ,roo

Banned

the marlin x7 series is easy enough to rebarrel. they will take savage barrel nut barrels.

thank you ,I have a well used 110 barrel in 222 that shoots cast very well , jacket stuff not so well ,but it did have 10,000 rounds thru it be I rebarreled the rifle .

I wasn't aware the Marlin boltgun was available in .222Rem - that (obsolete) chambering isn't listed on their website for the X7:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/x7s.asp

that's 2013

Boolit Master
    I have a Marlin XL-7 30-06. It shoots well with the Lee C309-170-FN and Accurate 5744.

Boolit Master
    I bought an XL7 in .30-06 several years ago for my son to use hunting deer. The price was great, and it's a serious hunting rifle. Slick smooth action, nicely shaped synthetic stock, excellent trigger, and the first loads I tried grouped solidly under 1.5 MOA. This was before the Remlin takeover, so use your own judgment on current production. Overall, I like them and consider them one of the better "economy" rifles on the market.

I have to agree that I know nothing about the current Marlin X7 rifles produced by Remington. But the ones I have handled proved to be smooth accurate rifles. And you may be able to get an even better deal on them as of late as I have heard through the internet grape vine that they are going to discontinue them. But who really knows.

As for the .222 yes they were made as a special run and not as a standard catalog item.

As for problems when you first get one as with most things they need to be taken apart and cleaned and all screws checked to make sure they are tight. Also this may or may not be a problem but it seems as if Remington modified some Remington barrels to fit on the Marlin XS-7 short actions so the barrels have some what I call missing threads. But according to the brilliant people at Remington this has no effect on performance and or safety of the firearm.

What I consider real downsides to the Marlin X-7 line is the lack of support parts especially if they are going to discontinue the Marlin X-7 line.

But the threads are the same between the Marlin X-7 line and Savage so barrels are not a problem. But the ones that are cut for the savage action one may have to remove five to ten or so thousandths from the back of the barrel for correct head spacing.

People have had problems with the Marlin X-7 Line ejectors breaking but again one can use a savage ejector with a bit of fitting.

If one wishes to replace the stock BOYD'S has a nice line of stocks to fit the Marlin X-7 line.

Sorry if this is a bit much lol.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 06-21-2015 at 06:13 PM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Jester that was a good post...i didn't realize all the options available on the x7's. Sounds like a truly versatile platform to work with if needed.
    My brother has one in 223 and it's a nail driver.

35 Shooter the Marlin X-7 line is a smooth shooting rifle with probably better than average accuracy and a fine action to build something else on since it uses a barrel nut just like a Savage. Not to mention they have a very nice trigger right out of the box. But due to the fact that parts for them are pretty much nil from the factory and that Remington may discontinue the X-7 line of which makes them a little dubious to build on at this time I would probably spend the extra funds on a Savage (Stevens) rifle to build something on.

But if one is just looking for a good shooting dependable rifle for as little funds outlay as possible then the Marlin X-7 line is darn hard if not impossible to beat for the price.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post

But if one is just looking for a good shooting dependable rifle for as little funds outlay as possible then the Marlin X-7 line is darn hard if not impossible to beat for the price.
    Absolutely correct

If you are looking for a great hunting rifle out of the box and will not be looking for upgrades this and the Ruger American are lines you should look at
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I suspect the Remington 783 is nearly the same thing as the X7 series. Interesting how all of a sudden everybody thinks the barrel nut is a great idea after ignoring it for 50 years.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.