Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS seems to have problems

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar

RCBS seems to have problems

I had some problems with my RCBS 110V automated trimmer and needed some replacement parts. I called RCBS at the 1-800-533-5000 customer service number. I get a recording that says their customer service hours are from 6:30 AM to 3:00 PM M-F. I've never know them to have such limited hours in all my years of dealing with them. I look over at my computer clock and my alarm clock and it's 2:30 PM Eastern Standard time, so they aren't even answering the phone when they say they're available.

So I start checking out the website and see if something has changed. Apparently it has. They now appear to be owned by ATK ammunition group, whoever they are. Here's the link information:

http://www.rcbs.com/general/aboutus.aspx

So then I check out their warranty page. It's changed as well, significantly it appears, unless my memory is fooling me:

http://www.rcbs.com/general/warranty.aspx

I know they're making Rock Chuckers in China now and was wondering if anyone else has recently used their warranty service and if it was as good as it once was. Obviously, they've limited the available hours to call customer service to time periods making it tougher for folks across the country to get hold of them.

I hope this doesn't spell a downturn in RCBS customer service and warranty support. It doesn't look good.

Dave

Last month I received my fourth electronic scale/measure combo after receiving three that were defective. I dealt with RCBS both by E-mail and telephone. They were prompt in their responses and resolved the problem satisfactorily going so far as testing the unit they sent me to ensure it functioned properly before shipment. What you say is not what I experienced. If this is a new procedure for RCBS it is most disappointing.

Boolit Master
    RCBS has been owned by ATK for several years, now. I can see them NOT offering a lifetime warranty on electronic equipment - nobody else does; same with commercial use.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I'm not as concerned with the lifetime warranty thing as I am with the not being available during normal business hours.

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    They've been closed on Fridays for years now
    ________
    Friend advice forums
    Last edited by BigSlick; 05-03-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Boolit Bub

Rcbs

ATK has a plant about 20 miles from my location they make rocket motors for the military.The co. also owns Federal Ctg.

I thought their customer service number was Mon thru Thurs (Not Friday)

Customer Service
    1-800-533-5000 (US or Canada) or 530-533-5191
    Hours: Monday - Thursday, 6:30am - 3:00pm (hours may vary)
    e-mail: rcbs.tech@atk.comwww.rcbs.com
    RCBS • 605 Oro Dam Blvd. • Oroville, CA 95965

This is from one of their instruction books

Boolit Master

I have had dealings with RCBS customer service twice in the last two weeks and several times before that. Service has always been outstanding, and attitude excellent. The last time was via email. I told them what I wanted. I got an email back saying it was in the mail. I have found their service to be better than Dillon, who despite their reputation, I have not always found to be very helpful.

RCBS has a parts list on their website which you can download and see what part you need. I just emailed it to them and that worked very well.

Boolit Master

I needed a new timer for my rotary case cleaner this year, and with one email, a replacement was in the mail. The tubler was quite old, and when the timer came in it was a bit different. One more email solved that, just use ignore two screws. The part was free by the way. I was happy.

Doug

Well dang, I'm obviously brain dead. It's Friday. I"ve forgotten what day it was.

Dave

Banned

Thumbs up

Having used Lee equipment for much of my reloading career, ever since I got started with a Lee loader in 35 Remington, I have bought the occasional RCBS gear when it suited my needs and the price was right. I have found their customer service to be great, even when the item was puchased used. Case in point;

Last year, I bought an RCBS electronic scale CHEAP at a gunshow. Got it home and it was stuck in some sort of calibration mode (thus it was cheap I guess). I knew RCBS didn't have a warranty "per se " on older, used electronic equipment, but I figured it was worth a phone call.

Bottom line, they talked me through how to "reset" the scale, then asked for my address and mailed me the instruction sheet and all other paperwork for the scale. They also asked if I needed a new scale pan or calibration weights!!

As much as I like the value of Lee equipment, as well as some of the innovation, you do get what you pay for in a name like RCBS. Their service is, and always has been, top notch.

I can see more GREEN things joining my electronic scale, my 505 beam scale and my JR3 press.

SSB

Boolit Master
    What concerns me most is "Chinese Rockchuckers", Fred must be rolling over in his grave.

Boolit Master
    Just like we used to say in the Army, "Green is groovy."

Boolit Master
    Your right MT. While RCBS's customer service is good they are no where's near the company they were when the Huntington's owned it. They where shooters. Now it's run by corporate pin heads who's only gage is a P&L statement.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    They probably found out you are a Loc-n-load owner!

Boolit Master

Once a company is run by a board of directors and not by the founder things change and not for the better sometimes. Don't get me wrong, profit is the reason any company is in business, however a company that neglects it customers is doomed in my experiance. Has anyone else wondered why Stihl Chainsaws have never been offered in chain stores or bigbox stores? It is because the founder of the company realized early on that a good dealer was nessasary to set up his product for the customer and service it if needed later for the customer to be happy with the product. There are few products retailed like this in America, but those that are enjoy a level of customer sadisfaction and return sales. I can think of other products and companies that take care of the customer like RCBS, Springfield Armory, and Dillon, but they are few and far between.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    What concerns me most is "Chinese Rockchuckers", Fred must be rolling over in his grave.
    Is there such a thing? Do I have to do micro-examination on RCBS products now?
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master

They are definitely cast in China! They had an article in Handloader about the inner workings of RCBS and they explained how they cast them in China and milled them here. I was disappointed. I have a RC and really like it, but I also have a Lee Classic Cast and believe it to be a better press! I like the used primer collection system better, and the balance point of the handle is nice. Oh yeah the fact that it says Cast in The USA on the side is nice as well!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    I look over at my computer clock and my alarm clock and it's 2:30 PM Eastern Standard time, so they aren't even answering the phone when they say they're available.

If you're calling 2:30 pm eastern time, that puts you at 5:30 PST, and they're not open.