Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Is rosin core soldier ok to use,to mix alloy to cast?

Boolit Buddy

Is rosin core soldier ok to use,to mix alloy to cast?

I turned down a pile of it,at a fle market law week.

Boolit Master
    Yes it is fine. Rosin is flux doesn't hurt a thing.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy

Just make sure you have some ventilation going when you dump it in the pot. It will smoke a bit and it can be a bit irritating to the lungs.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    It is best to FEED it in......not DUMP it. The rosin will liquify and could invite a tinsel fairy visit. Feeding it in will minimize the melting and any possible reaction.

But the rosin is a flux.

Just saying......be careful!!!!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    I use it in my big pot to make my muffin ingots. Nothing wrong with the flux, but if you put a lot in at one time it will form a big black greasy pool on top that takes a good while to burn off. Smokes a bunch so be outside with good ventilation.
    If the price is right don't pass it up!
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

I got a bunch of it one time and melted it down outside. I them made small ingots by just pouring a little into the ingot mould, about an ounce or so. That way it was able to smoke and burn all the flux off and I didn't need to be in it. Now I have a bunch of little ingots that I can add to the pot or for a big batch if so desired.

If it is still there the next time you go and it is a good price get it, it is very useable.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

I believe I read that acid core was also ok IF one was not feeding it directly into a casting pot (especially bottom pour) but instead melted it down and burned off the flux in a separate smelting pot.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I believe I read that acid core was also ok IF one was not feeding it directly into a casting pot (especially bottom pour) but instead melted it down and burned off the flux in a separate smelting pot.
    Personally I would NEVER melt rosin OR acid core in my bottom pour casting pot!!!!! That is what your smelting pot is for. Dirty, gunky stuff you flux/skim off easily and then pour clean ingots.

banger

Boolit Master

I use it in my smelting pot when I mix up 32 lbs of wheel wts. Toss in 1 lb of 63/37 solder and I have 33 lbs of ww's+2% SN. Takes a while to burn off but as long as you do it outside no problem. I bought a bunch at a little over $2/lb. when Grainger closed it out.]
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

I melted a 100 lbs or so of the rosin core solder once...I used saw dust to collect the black gooey rosin on top of the melt and disposed of it in metal coffee cans..Add it slow

acid core should be smelted by it's self . i'd assuredly clean out the pot when done !! rosin core can be added to a pot ,as stated rosin is a flux and in my humble opinion the best one there is ,it's part of why stikki pine shavings work better than oak shavings or even non-stikki pine shavings , granted 100 #'s melted down at once is a bit much :P slowly add a foot long piece slowly to a melt and you'll see the immediate area clear up , i wish i knew where i could get it cheap ! i like to add some to what i call "fry's fabulous flux"
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned

well just about all the pine trees I have ever seen have rosin sticking to the side of them.
    especially a year or so after I make a gash in them with a hatchet or knife.

pine trees ( especially ones i can tap the sap on ) are a bit scarce out here on the empty open wind scoured plains amigo [dratz] a bit of hedge/russian olive and in the creek gulches a fair bit of cottonwood and some willow , years ago i used to live by a pine forest on the eastern slope , while i miss quite a bit about that area i'm stuck here in the middle for now , i manage to save a few chunks of wood from work in the winter time that helps get me by but in the summer ( at least here in our blast furnace ) the stuff runs out of knots and voids ,sadly most of it however has done been drained by them drying it in kilns but ... if you need some wild sunflower seeds i can trade you for some free range rosin :P just think .... in a million or so years it'll turn into amber
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

100 lbs went fast as heck..
    I threw the safety gear on and melted the plastic rolls and all...I had a couple huge sheets of card board on the patio and a good cover for the pot.
    Once the pot got hot and there was enough melted I would just lift the cover throw a roll or two in and cover quick, then throw in in a bunch of saw dust (pine), stir and scoop out the rosin/plastic... Couple of hours later there was a nice pile of ingots..
    Good face shield + respirator and all your skin covered is a must if you do it with my method