RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Boolit Master
    I have a feeling this part of the forum is chock full of Mad Scientists.
    That's ok I'll be keeping good company

Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

I love adventures in evil alchemy.GP

Boolit Master
    speaking of Alchemy
    I saw this video the other day...
    Sounds bogus ... but ya never know
    Save you beer bottles... they will be the new currency!

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo...lchemy_Project
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Bub
    Thanks to bangerjim and his process along with other members on the sight I am now powder coating bullets . Its amazing what you can do with a cool whip container ..some plastic BB's and some powder coat. After coating close 1000 240gr for 44 I also discovered that its easier to powder coat bullets that are somewhat freshly cast. While cleaning the shelves under the loading bench I came across a coffee can marked .359 W/W 1997. Inside were several hundred 158gr cast bullets. YES i am an old fart and have been casting bullets for a while...obviously. I tried powder coating a few of these using the same process as the newer ones. It does not work as well..in fact..after about 35 minutes I called it quits. I have a feeling due to the molecular change from being aged..I use that term loosely ..the powder does not like to stick real well..and yes I am using red. I tried as a last resort to heat the bullets to 130 degrees which I read in an earlier post that it helps..but not this time. On a brighter note..a good friend of mine gave me some powder in hot pink for his wife's 38.I got out the 158gr mold and cast a few hundred which i powder coated the next day with no problems at all. If you have any cast bullets laying around that you have had quite a while [ ok ...fine..ask your dad if he has any ] try them and see what you results are. Thanks again bangerjim I love the process !!

Boolit Master

Swish them around in a container with some gasoline, then dry and put them through a second cleaning with Acetone or Lacquer Thinner. I did that with some "older" cast bullets and they PC'd just fine with the BBDT.
    BTW, I used PC from Smokey.

Quote Originally Posted by srd View Post
    Thanks to bangerjim and his process along with other members on the sight I am now powder coating bullets . Its amazing what you can do with a cool whip container ..some plastic BB's and some powder coat. After coating close 1000 240gr for 44 I also discovered that its easier to powder coat bullets that are somewhat freshly cast. While cleaning the shelves under the loading bench I came across a coffee can marked .359 W/W 1997. Inside were several hundred 158gr cast bullets. YES i am an old fart and have been casting bullets for a while...obviously. I tried powder coating a few of these using the same process as the newer ones. It does not work as well..in fact..after about 35 minutes I called it quits. I have a feeling due to the molecular change from being aged..I use that term loosely ..the powder does not like to stick real well..and yes I am using red. I tried as a last resort to heat the bullets to 130 degrees which I read in an earlier post that it helps..but not this time. On a brighter note..a good friend of mine gave me some powder in hot pink for his wife's 38.I got out the 158gr mold and cast a few hundred which i powder coated the next day with no problems at all. If you have any cast bullets laying around that you have had quite a while [ ok ...fine..ask your dad if he has any ] try them and see what you results are. Thanks again bangerjim I love the process !!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    That's exactly how I do the older ones, Sparky45. They tumble just fine then.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by srd View Post
    Thank you for the kind words, but I cannot take full credit for this process!

There are a bunch of us on here that "messed around" with different techniques to finally share data and come up with a successful result. I was one of the big doubters at first due to the lack of knowledge of materials and techniques written about. After spending hours "playing" around (as those other kind souls did also) and sharing a mix other's ideas as a knowledge base, I was able to produce the quality of my ESPC gun at about 95%......not bad for a plasstic tub and some black plastic BB's!!!!!!

As far as olde boolits......I have found they can create PC problems. The oxides on the surface create some kind of layer that can interfere with the static build up. Go figure! I have successfully coated several thousand by soaking in laq thinner overnight, swishing hard, rinsing in fresh thinner, then rinse in VERY hot water and Simple GReen, then a final rinse in just VERY hot water. Let dry and coat away. I have only had a small handful that looked "flakey" and after inspection, they did not pass the hammer test. But a vast majority when treated as above, work very well! The other option is melt 'em down and recast. I have used the above with olde grease lubed boolits also. Do NOT vibe tumble the old boolits as that will create micro-fine lead dust for you to inhale!

Thanks! And Good Coating!

bangerjim

......me in the shop!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mad Alchemist Jim.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	108126
    Last edited by bangerjim; 06-18-2014 at 02:57 PM.

I did my first couple of batches the other day, no fussing on purpose, I just chucked a couple of handfull of boolits into a tub, cup full of the white bb's (only ones I had), couple of spoons of powder, shook em up and put em on a baking tray using a latex glove and kinda "spun" them between two fingers as I stood them up. 10 minutes later a tray full of fantastically coated bullets cooling off!

Really amazed at how well they have came out, out of the 2 batches (1 .429's and 1 .311's) I only had one that I would say was below par - 90% of them I would be happy to photograph, 100% shootable!

Fantastic thread, thank you, I now will be pan lubing no more!

Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    I was thinking about this thread today and I realized something. This PC process is one of the greatest collaberative experiments on the internet that I have ever seen. Not to mention the result will be one of the most profound and useful additions to the home/ hand cast bullet / reloading / shooting, hobby to come along in in a long time. Maybe I see it being bigger than it really is, but it is a huge advance in the hobby.
    Making the same observation. It is certainly changing the way I have been doing things!!

While shopping for oven trays at a local thrift store I came across a coated pan marked Ekco Bakers Secret Duncan Hines Tiara Desserts. This is a nonstick Bunt cake style pan. I tried this with no foil or paper. Using the DT method and Cardinal powder I had no sticking and what coating was on the pan wiped off with a blue paper shop towel. This after a twenty minute bake at 400 degrees. the pan only cost fifty cents Im looking for more! GP

Boolit Master
    Bangerjim, how did you get the noises in that cartoon pic?

(Bubble bubble BZZZZT zap zap zap...)

Boolit Mold

Cast and coated some 8mm today with soft roofing lead. Hopefully will get a chance to try them tomorrow with my lubed Lino load at around 2400fps. Will post results if I'm able.

Boolit Mold

oh yea...smashed one too for good measure

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by a.squibload View Post
    Bangerjim, how did you get the noises in that cartoon pic?

(Bubble bubble BZZZZT zap zap zap...)

Not sure what your are hearing on your end!!!!!!! I am on my iPad and hear nothing (except the voices in my head!)

HA........ha!

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Wow... gas checked soft roofing boolits! I'm excited to see how that turns out. Shooting softer stuff is why I coat!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

The contrast between those black boolits and the cooper GCs is awesome!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Not sure what your are hearing on your end!!!!!!! I am on my iPad and hear nothing (except the voices in my head!)

HA........ha!

banger
    Be VERY careful what you admit to these days. Especially in jest, it could very well come back to haunt you.
    Then again I hang out in a forum with a bunch of guys who make their own boolits. MAD scientists indeed!
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Grand Master
    BWWAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA!

It is all coming together nicely!

banger

Boolit Mold

first 10 shots with soft roofing lead powdercoated 8mm. Shot from a Yugo M48 that will shoot Lino cast at 50 within 1". I'll try some powdercoated Lino and see how those fly.

Boolit Mold
    But now the good news...
    i powdercoated some 308 lino 160's sized back down to 308 on top of 41gr of RL15. Fired thru a FAL at 50yds.

no leading in the bore or in the gas system. The last time I tried cast thru this one I had to heat the gas block with a torch to remove the stuck gas plug and then free the piston.

Very happy. Will try again soon with a 21" barrel FAL that groups well at 100yds.