RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Adjustabe Sight For Marlin 1895 CB 45-70.

Boolit Buddy

Adjustabe Sight For Marlin 1895 CB 45-70.

I bought a used Marlin 1895 CB in 45-70 back in Jan and, because of the rainbow trajectory, would like to put an adjustable sight on it. I have 2 Williams on other lever actions but they are not readily adjustable. I have looked at other models of Williams and Lyman sights but the descriptions are a little vague. Some models say adjustable or target but don't clarify the means of adjustment. I would like a sight that is adjustable in the field while hunting.

Thanks,

Bigscot
    Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, apologize to no one!
    -Ralph M. Lermayer-
    Editor of Predator Xtream

The Williams target ones have finger adjustable knobs, but you still need to have a small screwdriver to loosen the elevation gib before you can move it. You can move the windage one without tools.

I like the old Lyman steel sights, they were pretty solid. The new Aluminum ones are kind of loose and flimsy. So I use Williams ones on most of my rifles.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    I own Lyman, Marbles, Williams (with target knobs and without), and I can tell you that none of them are "readily adjustable" in the field. What you're probably looking for is something like a vernier tang sight which are easily adjusted in the field. The good ones are very, very repeatable and they allow for very precise shooting. They can even be had with adjustable apertures. Look at Lee Shavers for a start, at a price most can afford. If you don't mind spending a couple of extra bucks take a look at MVA sights. Even their hunting models aren't too badly priced. I've had both and each one is top notch and will suit your needs very well.

There are two options not mentioned. One is the barrel ladder sight used by Shiloh Sharps on their rifles which works very well for me on two lever guns and is only $75.00 or so; top quality kit. It will elevate enough to allow hits to several hundred yards, far more than needed for a hunting rifle.

The other option is the remake of the old Lyman 21 aperture sight made by Providence Tool Co. www.providencetoolcompanyllc.com for about $130. I put one on an 1895 Winchester and find it very satisfactory. This sight mounts on the side of the receiver so it does not interfere with your grip, is robust, adjustable without tools and repeatable, nor will it be flopping around as will a tang mounted sight.

I have bid and won a couple of the Lyman receiver sights and I find them to be [the steel ones] sturdy AND repeatable along with fairly easy field adjustment what with the push button speed adjuster on the side along with the range indicator on the face of them. the set pin allows the sight to be returned to zero with just the push of the pin and allow the sight to settle back in the bottom position. very sturdy and within the price I see in these posts. in addition to this there are target knobs available for these sights as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the replies. I thought about a tang sight but heard/read that the sight sometimes interferes with cycling the bolt. I am looking at a Smith's rear sight with ladder elevations. Anyone use the Smith's?

Bigscot
    -Ralph M. Lermayer-

Boolit Master

I don't have any experience with the Smith sight, only with the Lyman and the Williams.

I use the Lyman sights on just about all my lever guns and they are eminently adjustable with 1/4 MOA per click or 3 MOA per revolution of the windage or elevation turrets. As Bigted notes above, you can also slip the elevation slide easily for coarser adjustments and with the 3 MOA graduations on the elevation slide it is easy (if you know your trajectory) to slip from 100 to 200 or 300 yards without any issue and then return to your base zero.

While the Lyman sight is not a Redfield "Palma" sight or a German Gehman sight, it is perfect for what you want to do. As noted above, the older steel base Lyman sights are the best, but they now bring a premium at gun shows or on Ebay if you can find one.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I'd be reluctant to start adjusting the normal receiver sights in the field, bound to get cocked up.

Maybe a fold up leaf for 100yds and a flip up peep for 200?

If you are shooting a 45/70 in the field at unknown ranges long distance shots are not the go. A range finder and lots of practice maybe.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Scharfschuetzer,

I was looking at the Midsouth Shooters web sight and they say the Lyman 66 would have to be drilled and tapped on Marlins for this sight. There is no mention of this on the Lyman site. Would I have to do this on an 1895 made in 2001?

"66LA Receiver "Peep" Sight (Fits Marlin 336 & 1894)

The 66 sight is designed for mounting on flat receivers, such as lever action rifles, like the Winchester 94, Marlin 336 or modern shotguns, there's even a model for the SKS. Features include 1/4 minute audible click micrometer adjustments for elevation and windage, quick-release slide, coin-slotted "stayset" knobs and two interchangeable aperture discs (large hunting aperture and small target aperture) for any shooting condition Also fits model 1895. This sight will work on the mentioned Marlin models but they have to be drilled and tapped on the upper left side of the receiver."

Bigscot
    -Ralph M. Lermayer-

Boolit Master

Bigscot,

All of my Marlins (1894s and an 1895) with the exception of a circa 1905 Model 1893 are factory drilled and tapped for this sight. It's always been a pretty easy installation and I've never had one shoot loose. I didn't mention it, but Redfield used to make a similar sight and if you can find one, it is exceptionally well made.

Look at the left-upper-rear of your receiver just forward of the hammer. If there are two small filler screws there, then you're good to go. A gunsmith can drill and tap if your rifle was not done so at the factory.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Vendor Sponsor

Big Scot: Scharf has the correct answer to your question. The older Steel Lyman 66LA is the sight you want. Unfortunately you will have to get one second hand since Lyman in all it's cost cutting wisdom makes them out of Aluminum now and they suck outright.

They come up on Ebay frequently every week. I wouldn 't pay more than $150 for a nice one, and you'll probably have to be patient and bid on several before you catch the audience asleep and get what you want.

I've been looking for another one but haven't won one for a while.

As far as it mounting to your rifle if it has the two screws mentioned above then it is a bolt on, if not they have to be drilled and tapped. Any gunsmith should be able to do this and it shouldn't cost more than $25-30 to do it. It is a simple job and I do all of mine if they need it, but I am a machinist. Most older guns had the holes, newer ones not so much. MY 2005 1895 CB didn't and neither did my 2001 1894.

The thing about the Lyman 66LA is that it can be sighted for a base elevation setting with the stop screw engaged and then you can push the button and move the elevation slide up to a new "Predetermined Setting" for your long distance shots, or you can crank on the knob to elevate the slide or a combination of both. Then you simply push the button and push the slide down to the stop and you are back where you started.

They repeat settings very accurately and this is the beauty of this sight.

This one is what you are looking for,,, The rest are mediocre at best.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-25-2014 at 04:00 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

You may want to take a look at the MVA sights. They are made such that they do not interfere with the bolt. However they are top of the line.

https://www.montanavintagearms.com/100_longrange.html
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    They have an awesome Black Powder measure, thanks for the link. I might spoil myself and get one of those.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."