WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone attempted to explore modify AR10 in 25-06?

Well the price tag on that scope alone give me shivers.
    Last edited by AMT7; 04-16-2014 at 11:14 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    I think the BAR may be your cheapest entry into the semiauto 25-06, just because it's factory produced.
    Dilly, the entry point for the BAR is $900. Guess am spoiled building $550 M4's
    Using Tapatalk

So far we have shaken the trees and finally got sub $ 1k but am not at that tempting price point yet. The.BAR is nice and appears to be a good option but I am small framed, getting old and can not carry an 8+ pounder leaving bolt guns or M4. Sadly I really like the semi auto feature of the mil spec stuff. So the 22- 250 Rem & 250 Savage AI are looking to be best candidates but barrel life is limited. Are either of these M4 upper candidates for my existing AR lowers?
    Last edited by AMT7; 04-16-2014 at 11:13 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AMT7 View Post
    Dilly, the entry point for the BAR is $900. Guess am spoiled building $550 M4's
    Well if you are willing to go to a bolt there are plenty of fine options in your $550 price range, and some well below.

You could always just sell or trade the dies and bullets in the s&s section and get something else.

Just checked with my fav barrel maker and he has a 204 Ruger bull barrel for AR15, but that is a step down in every way.
    Using Tapatalk

FN 49. Has the action length and has been made in .30-06, a bunch of 8mm, 7mm, probably 6.5x55. Should be easy to do in .25-06.

Fn49 is a good possibility but the only 4 on gb are ~$1500 to new old stock $3250..
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Another option is an ar 15 style rifle with a fast twist barrel of 1-8 to 1-7 twist rate. These will allow the 80 grn long range bullets to be used increasing range of the 223/5.56 round. I have used them in high power at 600 yds with very good results. I would barrel up a flat top with a 24"-26" heavy barrel of 1-7 twist and a decent scope mounted to allow a good check weld.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Another option is an ar 15 style rifle with a fast twist barrel of 1-8 to 1-7 twist rate. These will allow the 80 grn long range bullets to be used increasing range of the 223/5.56 round. I have used them in high power at 600 yds with very good results. I would barrel up a flat top with a 24"-26" heavy barrel of 1-7 twist and a decent scope mounted to allow a good check weld.
    Country Gent
    Thank you. I forgot about those bench rest loads in 5.56 but what I read they were shooting only 70gr boolits. If your getting 600 yards useable range I am in. What is your average MOA?
    2ND ? what is your boolit source (or mold #?) I am mostly assuming you buying jacketed.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I used 80 grn boatail hollow points from Sierra and JLK. for 200 and 300 i used the 75 grn hornady BTHP match bullets. This was in NRA High Power rifle matches. My Ar match rifle was capable of around 3/4 MOA at 600 yds. Come up was 10-12 mins from 200 yd zero depending on load and bullet. Berger also makes a 80 grn vld bullet. Keep in mind the 80 grn loads are normally loaded long and single loaded. I made High Master Match rifle with these loads. Service rifle I shot a tuned M1-A in 308. I used Varget and or reloader 15 depending on which was available. The 75s can be loaded to magazine length and were also very accurate. Keep in mind I shot with Iron sights ( Match grade appetures) as the scoped class wasnt in place then. If your AR has a 1-9 twist I would give the 75s a try as is.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I have a 25 WSSM on an AR 15 platform, it's not cheap.
    Dies are pricey, you'll need special magazines, brass is hard to find and it's more along the lines of 257 roberts performance.

I have a 25-223, ie a 223 necked up to 25 cal on an AR15 platform, only thing it costs is a barrel and some dies. cheap quality option. Standard AR 15 mags work fine. I would personally recommend this since you already have an AR15. I love mine!

As for AR10 platform going to 25 caliber.

It won't be cheap, the barrel is going to be fairly expensive for an AR 10 as it will be a real custom job. You'll need to find someone who makes the barrels for the Armalite platform unless you have a DPMS.
    you'll need dies for 308 necked down to 25 cal, IE the 25 souper
    Back in the 70's, I believe, 2 writers from Guns&Ammo modded two AR-15s. One 6mm/.223, and the other .257/.223. From what I remember, MV for either firearm was in the 2200-2500fps range. As stated above, all it took were special dies, and barrels. If the OP really want a different rifle, he could get a 6.8 upper, dies to neck it to .257, and a .257 barrel. Then he would have something. The 6.8 is a proven worker, so using it as the basis for a wildcat would be more satisfactory, in my eyes. More powder capacity. Just my musings. Cheers! mikey

Quote Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
    Back in the 70's, I believe, 2 writers from Guns&Ammo modded two AR-15s. One 6mm/.223, and the other .257/.223. From what I remember, MV for either firearm was in the 2200-2500fps range. As stated above, all it took were special dies, and barrels. If the OP really want a different rifle, he could get a 6.8 upper, dies to neck it to .257, and a .257 barrel. Then he would have something. The 6.8 is a proven worker, so using it as the basis for a wildcat would be more satisfactory, in my eyes. More powder capacity. Just my musings. Cheers! mikey
    Interesting as I have a 6.8spcII M4 but its reach is disapointing. The ballistics of 257 Roberts does impress me with less recoil than my 7WSM. Just checked again today and my barrel guy just posted stainless 264 LBC / 6.5 Grendel in either 7.62x39 or .136 bolt face AA uses since both are available. But no 257 Roberts. However a step up is 257 Weatherby but think its long action. I hear there is a 40mm wildcat case out there also.
    Last edited by AMT7; 04-18-2014 at 02:56 AM.
    Using Tapatalk

Okay anyone needing to unload some 73-75 gr BT boolits?
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I used 80 grn boatail hollow points from Sierra and JLK. for 200 and 300 i used the 75 grn hornady BTHP match bullets. This was in NRA High Power rifle matches. My Ar match rifle was capable of around 3/4 MOA at 600 yds. Come up was 10-12 mins from 200 yd zero depending on load and bullet. Berger also makes a 80 grn vld bullet. Keep in mind the 80 grn loads are normally loaded long and single loaded. I made High Master Match rifle with these loads. Service rifle I shot a tuned M1-A in 308. I used Varget and or reloader 15 depending on which was available. The 75s can be loaded to magazine length and were also very accurate. Keep in mind I shot with Iron sights ( Match grade appetures) as the scoped class wasnt in place then. If your AR has a 1-9 twist I would give the 75s a try as is.
    I need to ask at this point did you use different weights in buffer for these heavier boolits in 73gr and up?
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I used the same buffer and spring for both 75 and 80 grn loads. I had 2 loads that performed in the rifles one for 200 + 300 yds with the 75 hornady ( occasionally 77 grn sierra) and one with 80 grn JLKs. Used rem small match primers and varget powder for both. Reloader 15 in a pinch both would work very well but you counldnt switch during a match with out cleaning. My gas system was ported to controll functioning also.

Stupid question but I was wondering if the buffer was the std mil spec .223 one with that same weight as there are a few different ones avail.
    Using Tapatalk

Got a .25-308 trim die in a swap one time so there must be some running loose somewhere. No reason why that wouldn't make a nice AR round. So maybe rebore a .243?