Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It,s Offical Ohio Pasted THE law for straight wall cartridge Rifle Hunting

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Reddog, the first round that I thought of was the 45/70, and then the 38/55.

Just me, but if I had a 450 Marlin, I would use it anyway, most of the "Possum Police" aint smart enough to know the difference!
    Hickok I agree with you most of the Non - hunting Hunt cops won,t but I,ll bet a few of the hunting versions of em Will and will burn ya good if caught In Ohio breaking Hunting Regs can have some HUGE repercussions
    DOGG!!!
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

Dear Abby,

I grew up in Ohio and there has never been a bit of logical thought in the hunting regs there. I'm glad my family and friends will have more choices, but face it, this list is bizarre.

Supposedly ODNR has always been worried about the range of weapons used in deer season, hence the slug gun only rule for years, followed by the original five calibers in pistol season. So now they lump .38 Special in with .45-110. *** is up with that? Do they have any clue how far BP cartridge shooters shoot? Have they ever heard of Billy Dixon? Why is my .45acp legal but .45 Super and .460 Rowland aren't? I'd say it's because the latter two are uncommon, but they saw fit to throw in .41 Colt. While I'm picking on the apparently unknown legion of .41 Colt shooters, why isn't 10mm on the list? Why does .45 Colt aka .45 Long Colt get two listings? Why are they prejudiced against straight wall Brit cartridges?

Signed,
    Confused in a state with a 3 month deer season where every gun is legal
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Glad to hear this! I'm from MI but maybe one day I'll venture down there to hunt.

I currently hunt up here in the rifle zone using a shotgun (Mossberg 500 fully rifled with 2.75" Remington Copper Solids) but want to get something that I can reload for. Not really sure I want to mess with trying to reload slugs other than for blasting and the only rifle I have is an AR.

Pistol Carbine's sure look tempting...

Boolit Grand Master

Shotguns must be plugged but nothing about rifles. This will be a mess! -StrawHat

I believe I'd recommend making a plug or a magazine stop for any of the newly-legal rifles if I hunted in Ohio. No need to be a part of the learning process with the accompanying legal costs and difficulties.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

We got 9 days here for Rifle and 27 for archery. We can use any centerfire but only one deer and you have to draw.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Archery is the only thing ILLinois got right. Three months... with a few lost days so firearms could get in there. We also do have revolver rights during firearms. Muzzle loaders can shoot during firearms plus get a week in January all by ourselves. But where I hunt in the river bottoms my farthest shot to date is 34 yards. So the recurve and caliber 60 smoothie flinter is really all I need.
    But it would be fun to get to knucker-plunk a corn cruncher with the 414 SM 336 Marlin.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I'm happy to hear you Buckeyes will get a chance to use your rifles. I hope Iowa is next. I'd really like to use my 1895 Marlin CB with one of my cast loads on my own place.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Shotguns must be plugged but nothing about rifles. This will be a mess! -StrawHat

I believe I'd recommend making a plug or a magazine stop for any of the newly-legal rifles if I hunted in Ohio. No need to be a part of the learning process with the accompanying legal costs and difficulties.
    My 50-70 is a single shot, rifle, not handgun. My 405 WCF on the other hand holds four, it is an original 1895 Winchester, as much as I would like to use it, I will not alter it. Besides, the 50 does it better!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    So now they lump .38 Special in with .45-110. *** is up with that? Do they have any clue how far BP cartridge shooters shoot? Have they ever heard of Billy Dixon? Why is my .45acp legal but .45 Super and .460 Rowland aren't? I'd say it's because the latter two are uncommon, but they saw fit to throw in .41 Colt. While I'm picking on the apparently unknown legion of .41 Colt shooters, why isn't 10mm on the list?
    How can you include .38 SPL and 45 auto but not 38 super or 10mm? If 38 SPL is ok why not 9mm or even 40 S&W? Odd...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    My 50-70 is a single shot, rifle, not handgun. My 405 WCF on the other hand holds four, it is an original 1895 Winchester, as much as I would like to use it, I will not alter it. Besides, the 50 does it better!
    Doesn't matter how many your .405 holds as .405 didn't make the cut. Yet another example of how weird the law is in naming specific calibers. They could have accomplished the same thing with less ink spilled by saying "straight walled cartridges, .357" or larger."
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    Just out of curiosity,what was the reasoning behind the ban on straight wall cartridges?Thanks.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Banned

notice it said RIFLES, and gave the chamberings. Not many 38 special RIFLES or 45ACP RIFLES out there, so I don't think they have to really worry...

but they probably don't know that there are not a lot of 45 acp RIFLES to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    Dear Abby,

I grew up in Ohio and there has never been a bit of logical thought in the hunting regs there. I'm glad my family and friends will have more choices, but face it, this list is bizarre.

Supposedly ODNR has always been worried about the range of weapons used in deer season, hence the slug gun only rule for years, followed by the original five calibers in pistol season. So now they lump .38 Special in with .45-110. *** is up with that? Do they have any clue how far BP cartridge shooters shoot? Have they ever heard of Billy Dixon? Why is my .45acp legal but .45 Super and .460 Rowland aren't? I'd say it's because the latter two are uncommon, but they saw fit to throw in .41 Colt. While I'm picking on the apparently unknown legion of .41 Colt shooters, why isn't 10mm on the list? Why does .45 Colt aka .45 Long Colt get two listings? Why are they prejudiced against straight wall Brit cartridges?

Signed,
    Confused in a state with a 3 month deer season where every gun is legal
    Really wierd same thoughts as mine no feaking logic to this. Looks like a couple of old bill writers gun collection lists minus bottle.neck cartridges.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Don't be so sure DJ, I bet someone goes out with their trusty Hi Point 45 carbine. I will stick with my 357 Marlin. Within range both will make meat.
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    BUT---BUT

Here in Ill i noise the Hi Point is a dangerous assault weapon be it 9MM or 45 ACP.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats fellas...sounds like it's time to buy a camp on that side of the line

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    notice it said RIFLES, and gave the chamberings. Not many 38 special RIFLES or 45ACP RIFLES out there, so I don't think they have to really worry...

but they probably don't know that there are not a lot of 45 acp RIFLES to begin with.
    Not trying to argue availability, of which there are plenty of 38 handi rifles and 45 carbines among all sorts of other chamberings, but the choice of cartridges that are allowed just doesn't make a lot of sense. But at least there are more options for the buckeyes now than before.

Boolit Master

I just bought a 20ga Savage last year but will put it on a shelf for my .444 Marlin. I like the Savage but not as well as the.444 and ammo will be a fraction of the price now it is time to shop for something a little heavier my 250gr moulds. FB

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Are they radiating the deer in Ohio now.

A 250 grain PB can not stop the new generation of deer there?

I have an OLD Savage 99 in 22 HP that fed an old logger in N Wisconsin every day of the week for more years than he could remember and it only used 55 Gr cast boolits to get the job done.

One shot plop.

More than that and the warden MIGHT have caught him.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    Glad you guys got something. Even though its dumb its still not worse (IMO) than IA laws for hunting. Slug only for deer but can use centerfire for coyotes.