MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses siZers

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You shoot WITHOUT sizing???????? I know some mold makers claim "NO SIZING REQUIRED".....but do not believe everything your hear (ObummerScare anyone?)

I size EVERY boolit I shoot as many have also said. Only takes a short time and guarantees prefect and accurate boolits.

I size AFTER casting and AFTER PC coating. Everyone.....every time. Lee sizing dies are dirt cheep.....I just throw the LLA away! Buy one for every size you cast.

banger

In Remembrance

I have loaded TL boolits in the past without sizing. Now everything gets run through a lubesizer, RCBS or Lyman, and lubed with Ben's Red or Carnuba Red. I may TL some with Recluse lube in the future if shooting volume picks up again after powder and primers become more available.

Boolit Master

I size them all. They all have to get loobed, so they get sized at the same time. I do love my Star. It's my favorite loading tool. Years ago, when we sized a boolit, the size die actually "cut" the boolit to size, with sharp edges. Now, the sizers just squeeze the boolit to size. Much less damage than back in the day.
    Taking off too much diameter is not good, say much more than 2 thou, but it doesn't wreck the boolit like it used to. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    I think that while sized bullets are more round. I think that sizing bullets can make them less concentric. I like using a lubrisizer because it is the easiest/cleanest way to lube in the grooves. If I am casting well the bullets are very uniform in diameter so I am thinking about ways to lube them without sizing them. I have some Lee tumble lube that I have not tried. I have tried pan lubing but it is messier than I can stand for more then just a few. I would almost rather finger lube than pan lube. I might feel differently about the pan lube thing if I was using it on larger bullets but on little .22's and .32's I end up with lube on my fingers and my seating stem. With the Lubrisizer I can get it adjusted to only get the lube in the grooves. I am considering getting some more sizing dies that are a little larger so as not to size the bullets as much as I do seem to get good accuracy with oversize (more than 0.002 in. over groove) bullets.

Tim

I only have sizers in a couple calibers, so some cals are never sized. It is all about the same to me, but sizers will help you do more with a single mold since more... um, sizes of boolit will be available.

Boolit Grand Master

Every bullet I cast gets sized.

Banned
    I size AFTER casting and AFTER PC coating. Everyone.....every time. Lee sizing dies are dirt cheep.....I just throw the LLA away! Buy one for every size you cast.

banger

THIS^^^^^^

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pearcetopher View Post
    Hi guys,

I have been casting for a good year now and Ive noticed every once in a while I will have an extreme oversized bullet or undersized bullet that ruins my day

Ive thought about using sizers but generally my stuff works ok as cast.

Howmany people here size?
    I size most of the boolits I cast. But a few of my molds drop just the right size and if a quick tumble lube is all that's necessary, that's all I do.
    BUT...
    I'd recomend a newbie to size them all, if for no other reason that you said in the OP...that I highlighted... UNIFORMITY will give the best accuracy.
    Once you develop good casting technique, you won't have oversized boolits.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Every boolit, every time. Consistency is my goal and with my moulds and my guns I feel a trip thru a sizer is required. My tumble lube boolits go thru a Lee sizer and most GG boolits go thru the Lyman 4500. I'm sure there are moulds and guns that shoot fine with unsized boolits, in many cases my sizers barely touch the boolit, if at all.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Is sizing necessary?

IF the boolits from a mold are the correct size AND you are tumble or pan loobing then the answer is no. I am not fortunate enough to own molds that drop at the perfect size, with any alloy all the time. I also do not pan or tumble loob. Added to this I go to great pains to find the correct size for each firearm and do my best to get the boolit to that size.

I will also throw in another monkey wrench. I am not fortunate to have a reliable source of known alloy; therefore, I am always dealing with "mystery" alloys. As we are all aware (right?) different alloys can give different diameters from the same mold. These different alloys may also "size" differently. Alloy A may go through a .310" sizer and come out .3102". Alloy B may go through the same sizer and come out .3105". Now this may not sound like much but in some cases it may be critical. My Ar has a very tight throat. Any boolit over .225" will shave lead or seat the boolit deeper on chambering. I have three different sizer dies to get various alloys to come out the right size.

This is a going the long way to answer your question. Yes, every boolit I shoot goes through a sizer, if only to get loob in the groove.

Darrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

Boolit Master
    I size all of them,except for the ones i hand lubed un-sized for a 1873 trapdoor.

They shot well at 1200 yards when we allowed for the wind.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Me!!!

(on everything... even powdercoated. I just don't lube those.)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I hate variables. So I size everything.

I didnt size when i first started. That was with lee TL boolits. Worked ok

As i progressed to more traditional style molds, i found that the irregularities of casting (pot/alloy temp, alloy makeup, mold temp, cavity inconsistencies) led to headaches when trying to seat and crimp boolits. Case mouth expanding needed to allow for the largest boolit within the run, so was much larger than needed for some boolits

If you cast perfect, then probably dont worry about sizing. If, on the other hand, you are human, then you may consider sizing, for the consistency it brings when seating the boolit. Oh, and generally better roundness.

Last time i tried 'unsized' i left my revolver barrel with something like a 1/32" skin of lead from breech to muzzle. Rare, sure, but it left a bad taste regarding shooting unsized

Boolit Master

As a rule I size everything with two exceptions. The Lee TL 148 Wadcutter for some reason shoots better for me unsized. Don't know why, one would think consistency would be the key to shot to shot accuracy but the proof is in the pudding or really on paper. I'm shooting them at short ranges with mild loads (2.6-3.0 Bullseye).

About a year or so ago. I shot a handful of various unsized Lee 458's loaded with 45/70 Rolling block data in a 458 Win Mag. They were pleasantly mild to shoot and the shot to shot accuracy via irons at 100 yards were surprisingly well clustered. For a plinking load the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle applies. Before I get serious with the 458 I'll need to slug the barrel and size accordingly.

Back to the 38. I tried shooting sized and unsized Lee TL 158 semi-wadcutters loaded max, near max and +P's. On paper the results were just the opposite of the unsized 148 wadcutters. Two batches with one being tumble lubed and sized .358 with a Lee push-tru and another conventionally sized with a hard lube did considerably better than the unsized.

As far as deciding to size or not to size. You will never be satisfied until you have tried it both ways. I would be more worried about under sized making a mess of your bore. Over sized if you can buy what Richard Lee claims. If it chambers, it will shoot. Lee push-thru sizing dies are not an expensive investment. I suggest you try it. If you push a slug through you suspect being under sized, discard it. Compare your sized and unsized for shot to shot accuracy. My guess you will be in the size everything frame of mind after comparing the results on paper.

I have been having great luck with just tumble lubing, loading, and running the loaded ammunition through a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Nothing sized, zero issues. If a bullet is a little out of spec, the Lee FCD takes care of it. Been doing this with .45 acp, .38/.357, 9mm, 40 S&W. Great performance so far. Sure, using the FCD is an extra step in the process, but sizing would be too.

I have a Lee pass though sizer for every caliber I cast for
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    I usually size...with a Lee push through. Either pan lube or tumble lube. I just purchased a HF powder coat gun and will begin to experiment with that. If the boolits need sizing they will go through the Lee size die.

Banned
    Want accuracy? Then size. I have two of them.

When I start casting I will size.