RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 46 of 116 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696 ... LastLast

Thread: What Powder Did You Buy Today?

Yahoo!! 8# of 2400+335. Less than $21/# to the door. That's a lot better than the LGS or Cabelas prices. Gives me enough powder for a couple more weeks.
    °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
    A Closed Mouth Gathers No Toes

"When I get to heaven, Tie me to a tree,
    Else I'll get to wandering, Then you know just where I'll be"
    (Ben Rumson, Feb 19, 1924 - Aug 29, 1987)

I almost went for the 8# but I don't even know if I'll like shooting with 2400 or if it will be accurate loads for my uses. I hate how the hit or miss nature of powder availability makes it so darn hard to experiment a bit. Seems like the only time we try something "new" is because what we wanted is not available and we are trying to "make do" as my momma said, not because we want to explore other possibilities.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Couldn't help it, 12 more pounds power pistol, h110, and wsf.....all from 3rd generation. BTW, wideners has red dot ,green, Unique and a few others too.......couldn't afford more.....

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Picked up a pound of 2400 at a LGS for $24.99.
    They had several other 1lb containers on the shelf...also, Unique, Power Pistol, Herco and a few other handgun powders available.
    I have 4-5 pounds of each (Unique and 2400) in my stash except for Herco which I haven't used heretofore.
    I recently purchased some Power Pistol to try in my new S&W MP40.
    I may stop back tomorrow and pick up a pound of 4227 which I have been wanting to try in my .41Magnum revolvers.

Banned
    I scored a pound of 2400 for $25, and picked up a pound of IMR 4320 and Pyrodex P.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    seen some bulls-eye out on the shelf today, but grabbed another 2 lbs of H-414 instead.
    I had some IMR-4831 and some I-4064 in the cart for about a minute then put them back.

I may regret the 4831 it's about the best slow end powder I have seen available yet.
    and I'm beginning to think RL-19 is never gonna be made again.
    I have seen 7-10-12-15-17 and 22 out [heck I seen it today] but no 19.
    Saw 19 the other day at cabela's and sportsman. Lgs also had some. There is hope!

Boolit Buddy
    With all the talk of 2400, I think you guys will understand the smile on my face when Fedex dropped off the 4lbs. I ordered last week, yesterday morning. Still makes me smile every time I think of it.

It sounds like Alliant is finally starting to get their pistol powders out to the dealers.

RogerDat is right about the experimenting. When I returned to handloading last year, I fully expected to go back to my tried and true loads using Bullseye, Unique and 2400. Boy was I disappointed but I learned to make do with what I could get and I think it actually made me a better handloader. At least a slightly more experienced one.

Boolit Master
    Hi...

Stopped over at the LGs before mowing the grass today ( 1st time this year) and picked up a pound of 4227( $28.99). Yikes!!!

I'll work up some test loads for my .41Magnums later this week.

Also got a 500-rd bulk pack of Winchester M22 .22LR...40gr black copper plated RN rated at 1255fps. $34.99...a couple of bucks more than the Remington Thunderbolt 500-rd bulk pack sitting beside it on the shelf. I have plenty of Thunderbolts and haven't tried these M22s previously. We'll see how they shoot out of a couple of my revolvers and my son's rifles.

Picked up 4 14oz containers of 700-X and some Winchester LPP at my local Cabela's (Acworth GA) yesterday. Winchester LPP were on sale for $24.00! 700-X was 20.99 a can.
    It is easier to forgive than to dispose of a body.

An 8 lb keg of 2400 a week ago for $140 + tax...Fur fin and feather up in Ohio....that's $17.50/lb!!! A month ago, I found a 12# keg of SR4759 for $202...bought that too. For 68 yo, that's a life time supply! Rod

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I almost went for the 8# but I don't even know if I'll like shooting with 2400 or if it will be accurate loads for my uses. I hate how the hit or miss nature of powder availability makes it so darn hard to experiment a bit. Seems like the only time we try something "new" is because what we wanted is not available and we are trying to "make do" as my momma said, not because we want to explore other possibilities.
    If you buy the 8#er and can't hit a dime at 600 yards, send it to me for proper disposal.

A dear old friend of mine is getting on in age and suffering from deteriorating health so he's not shooting or reloading nearly as much as he used to. He told me he had some extra powder that he'd happily sell me if I wanted it for myself. (IF I WANTED IT?) Well, when I went over to see him he handed me a nearly full 8 pound jug of Hodgdon "Clays" plus a half full 8 pound jug of AA "Nitro 100". When I tried to give him $125.00 he shook his head and said it was far too much and that he wanted less than that. Then I tried to give him $85.00 and again he refused it and insisted that I only pay him $60.00 for all of it! I definitely owe him a decent lunch or dinner out sometime soon!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy

I bought it over a week ago, but today the UPS man brought me some 2400 and IMR4227 from wideners. Along with the H110 I already have, I should be set for a while.

Boolit Buddy

A pound of Red Dot. My son bought me two cases of clays for my birthday last week so I'll have to get busy and load some shells.

(He's not foolin me....he likes to shoot trap)

Boolit Master
    8# of Promo. I'm rich!

I have bought a 4 lb can of Unique once or twice, but this is my first 8 lb jug of pistol powder and first time trying Red Dot / Promo, and uh oh... I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't shop for a shotshell reloader. I'm happy to see that Promo is even bulkier than Unique. This batch, anyway.

Oddly, I don't see any lot number on the bottle???

Boolit Bub
    Picked up 2lbs of WSF at the Cabela's in Lubbock TX, today. There was 700x and Super Handicap there today. Bought 1lb of Red Dot and Reloader 15 at the same place last week. Gander M. has been having Green Dot and I picked up 4 pounds within the last month, at the Lubbock location. I just have got into trap shooting and needing lots of powder, so payed the haz mat fee and purchased 5lb of super handicap from Precison Reloading back in February. I wish Hodgdon would publish some pistol data for SH, so I could have more than one use for that powder, but will save the WSF for pistol and use up the WSH for shotgun for the time being.

Banned
    I HIT THE JACKPOT!

There's a gun shop in Flint Texas (Porters Sporting Goods) That had a lot of powder. They probably had 20-40 pounds or so of Bullseye in 1 pound containers. They also had maybe 10 pounds of Unique, few pounds of Red Dot. Varget, Tightgroup or Tightwad (can't remember, maybe both) and a hand full of other powders as well.

I settled for a few pounds of Unique.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Picked up a pound of Herco yesterday for $23.99.
    I'll be trying some test loads in some handgun calibers, probably .45Colt and .41Mag to start. Later I will try .44Mag and maybe .44Spl.
    Wondering if Herco has any utility in .45AutoRim???

Banned

it does, and in the 357 magnum too.
    herco is the next slower powder down from unique, it's loads are usually @ a grain higher for the same pressure.
    the new BE-86 seems to flip flop between unique and herco depending on the case size and boolit weight, so if you like the herco it might be worth keeping your eyes open for the 86.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the response.
    I'll open up the reloading manuals tonight or tomorrow and see what the recommended charge weights are and maybe put some test loads together later this week.
    I have seen BE-86 at a couple of LGS lately. I may pick up a pound of that as well. Never a bad thing to have multiple options when it comes to gunpowder and firearms.