RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Length if pull?

Boolit Bub

Length if pull?

I am finally approved by the boss (the real one, not the one that writes me a check every week) to purchase a BPCR.

I have contacted CPA and discussed the options but have not confirmed the length of pull. Standard American LOP is 13.5 in, but this question arises. I am comfortable with 13.5 using a scope with eye relief of ~3 in, but my impression is that a soule sight requires that you should be closer than that. So here are the questions...

1. How close does one have to be to the eyecup?
    2. Should LOP be just a little shorter?

Thanks in advance for your advise.
    Last edited by DangerousDrummer; 01-23-2014 at 07:55 AM.

i will just add my needs and the LOP that works for me.

hunting ... my LOP needs to be thusly ... with my elbow bent to form a 90 degree for fore arm and upper arm ... i measure from the inside of my bent trigger finger to about 1.250 inch from my upper arm at the elbow bend.

for target shooting i want that measurement to be around 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the bend as i want the extra LOP to adjust my face deliberately where i want it instead of having to bend my neck backward. i prefer to bend my neck forward to adjust.

i am very tall with long arms so my LOP is rarely what other folks want or need.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousDrummer View Post
    1. How close does one have to be to the eyecup?
    2. Should LOP be just a little shorter?
    I'll tell you what works for me, and try to provide enough detail for you to 'interpret' it for your needs.

1. I wear a standard ballcap when shooting my Sharps with a tang sight. I use the bill of the cap to set a standard distance from the eyecup. I touch the bill to the staff, then back off a micron or two ... just enough to break contact.

2. a. I find the standard 13.5" LOP on standard rifles to be somewhat short for me. I cut stocks, or add recoil pads, to get an LOP of 14 inches when I can. But, I CAN shoot a rifle with a standard stock ... just not as comfortably as I like.

2. b. My Sharps rifle has a 14" LOP, and I use a recoil absorber on my shoulder. The pad adds about a half-inch, so it's an effective LOP of 14.5" I have a thicker pad which adds an inch, and I like that length very much. But the pad doesn't work very well, so I don't use it.

2. c. My conclusion is that a tang sight might be cause to have slightly longer LOP rather needing a shorter one.

2. d. In your case, if you are comfortable with 13.5 on a standard rifle, you will probably be satisfied with the same length on a CPA with a tang sight. If you need more length, a pad is in order ... and you just might want one, anyway.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    I don't think that you can pick a perfect length of pull by reading things from the Internet, you pretty much have to try the rifles out. I don't know if it'll help you, but I'm 5'9" and 13.5" is about right for me with most rifles. I have some that are 14" that work well too, but I'd rather go a bit too short than too long. Especially if you use a recoil pad. To me, length of pull matters most when shooting offhand or prone. From the bench, not nearly so much.

With respect to eye distance from the sight, I like to get pretty close to the sight. There is a distance where the sight picture is really sharp. For me it'll pretty close to what MC describes. I probably go just a tiny bit closer.

Do you have any nearby shoots where you could get the feel of a few different single shots?

Chris.

Old eyes have new problems. I have always used standard length stocks (about 14" l.o.p.). Recently I stocked a 45-70 myself for the first time.--It ain't purty, but it fits.-- and I was surprised to find that the further I got from the rear peep, the more clear was both front and back sight. As a result I rigged a 15 in l.o.p. even though a short coupled guy (5'8"). I now use the largest rear aperture for all shots.
    Consider your eyes.

Boolit Grand Master

Also consider position the rifle will be shot from Offhand sitting prone and off the bench are all slightly diffrent also.

Banned

I am 5' 9" and must have short arms as I like LOP around 12" to 13" max. I know the SASS shooters generally like a LOP around 12" on their shotguns for better speed.

Boolit Buddy
    Prone shooting is better with a longer LOP ( about 1 inch more), standing needs a shorter one. Bottom line - you need 2 rifles: 1 for prone, and 1 for standing...

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Clothing also plays into the factor as well. A heavy padded jacket as oppossed to a light T-shirt.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Here is what works for me. we all are not the same so what works for some wont work for me.
    I judge my length by holding my arm bent at 90 degrees and place a rifle or shotgun on my biceps or you can use the pocket where you normally hold your rifle and put the trigger finger in the trigger guard with the muzzle pointed up then bend the trigger finger and see where the first joint on the finger is in relation of the trigger of the gun you're holding without having to reach or pull back your finger.
    If you intend to hunt put on the jacket or whatever you wear hunting or what you have on shooting matches.
    As far as the tang sight it will work whatever your length of pull is.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    With a Soule, I always found myself wanting a bit longer pull for shooting off cross sticks.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!