WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 35 Whelen Redux

Tx. the 360280 NOE should be here mon. or tues. Guess i'll go to the range with a couple of bricks in my back pockets to try em out when the time comes. May have bit off more than i can chew?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Tx. the 360280 NOE should be here mon. or tues. Guess i'll go to the range with a couple of bricks in my back pockets to try em out when the time comes. May have bit off more than i can chew?
    Naw, piece of cake. I'll have the boys wax the bench and score your landing.
    358009?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

LOL i think i'll take a pillow or two to put on the ground behind me just in case. Yep, it's the 358009 clone. Can't wait to cast some and try em out. Sure looks like it oughta shoot.We'll see what ol contrary thinks about it.

I will be looking forward to the report on the 358009 . As I have the Mold just in case of a run away Elephant with a bad attitude comes knocking lol. Or a Wild Hog lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Thanks Jester...i do intend to go a few rounds with a heavyweight in the Whelen. I'd like to find a sensible load or two for it and then push it till it quits shooting good or i can't stand anymore lol. It's probably gonna turn out to be lethal on both ends of the rifle.
    I've got my eye on TxGuNut and his 360318 right now. Gotta feeling he's fixing to make me want that boolit too. Hanging around you guys is gonna make me have to get a better job.

Just put a Good Recoil pad on it. . On mine that as of yet I have not fired in its current configuration is a 35 Whelen AI with a Good Recoil pad and added a Brownells Muzzle Brake lol. As really I was having a hard time keeping my scope from moving when it was a standard 35 Whelen.

When I sent it off to be re-chambered into a AI I pretty much decided that it would be a jacketed bullet only Hunting Rifle. But now I am having Second,Third,Fourth thoughts lol.

But I will tell you what when it was a 35 Whelen with a upper end load and the Speer 250Gr Grand Slam bullet it almost flipped a 200+LB Hog over at a little over 100 yards.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

I'd feed that baby some cast boolits in a heartbeat. Sounds like it oughta be a shooter!

Well I hope to hear some good reports with the 358009. . As I just happen to have some IMR-4350 laying around. . I did try some RL-15 but did not have good luck with it. But then again I did not put much time into it. So I was short on time so I jumped to the Speer 250Gr Grand Slam and they do Grand Slam lol. But it is late so if I attempt to explain nobody could understand lol. But things happened so in all honesty I have probably not even really looked at the rifle since I got it back from being changed to the 35 Whelen AI and the Muzzle Brake added. It is a BEAUTIFUL rifle. But looking at it makes me well very upset. Not the Rifle but what the rifle was built for that I will never be able to use it for its purpose.

So I put my energy in my .358 Winchester build and I really LIKE IT.

Banned
    TxGuNut had to let you know the imr 4350 held up in "old contrary". Went to the range again this afternoon and it looks like 54 1/2 gr. behind the NOE 200 gr. boolit is going in the load book. Wish i could find my rods and sky-screen for my chrony but i'm guessing it's a bit over 2400 fps at least. I really don't care what the speed is, it's a rock solid load in the Encore. What i'm really liking is the fact that it shoots basically the same from 54 to 54 1/2 gr. with 54 1/2 maybe just a bit tighter and more consistent on average. I think i could find a lee dipper that throws 54 gr and just use that to throw these charges. If it threw a 1/2 gr. over every now and then i don't think it would make a difference with this load. Might try that just for fun.
    Gotta feeling h4350 or especially aa4350 would do even better but i'm happy with the imr results. The fired cases never stretch more than 1/2 thou. Makes me wonder if they would stretch at all with the aa powder? Don't know if any of this would work in your rifle, but it's got me in a happy place thanks to 357maximum's work that he did with it in his whelen that i gladly copied.

Glad it panned out for you BTW....My Mausr 98 Sporter 35Whelen (a.k.a "Miss Reliable") will also digest H414 and H-Hybrid100 with similar results when the charge is tweaked accordingly, and all 3 powders can be run faster than one needs to for deer whackin and still maintains really good accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like we all need to wander out to the casting bench, me included. Some very interesting projects underway and not much range data being generated. I cleaned a couple of rifles last night but haven't even decapped brass, let alone load it. 360318 is on the bench setting on top of a new set of handles.Think I just shamed myself into giving it a good scrubbing!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Mold is scrubbed, brass is sized. My fellow Texan (you know who you are!) got me curious about a mould and while I was researching it I discovered Larry had a promotion that made a Lyman sizer quite affordable. I think the Thor needs a hard lube and the 360318 may also. Added a box of GC's and a tube of 50/50 and I "saved" $45. I think I need to hide my credit cards when I "research" stuff.

Just dropped about 200 358009's from my new mould yesterday. What a boolit!!! Pb's weighed 290 gr.,and the gc's weighed 286 gr. Gonna start with unique and 4759 with the pb. Any suggestions on the gc boolit with imr4895, h4895, imr3031, imr4350 or 4759? I've got some start up loads in mind but open to suggestions.

BTW these were all cast from straight ww so far. Gonna soften the alloy for the pb in the future for expansion on them hopefully.

Banned

Yea, try this

Banned

or this

Boolit Grand Master

Gotta feeling h4350 or especially aa4350 would do even better but i'm happy with the imr results. The fired cases never stretch more than 1/2 thou. Makes me wonder if they would stretch at all with the aa powder? Don't know if any of this would work in your rifle, but it's got me in a happy place thanks to 357maximum's work that he did with it in his whelen that i gladly copied.-35 shooter

I'm not so sure the H4350 is a better powder for this cartridge, my rifle isn't too crazy about it. Now that I have some IMR4350 I may be able to answer that question, at least as far as Ol' Ugly is concerned. A few years back I did quite a bit of load development with a couple of 30-06's (and j-words) and learned that for my purposes H4350 and IMR4350 were very different powders. With some loads the H had a clear advantage and with others the IMR powder was better. May have had something to do with the rifle, pretty sure she could show your Ol' Contrary a trick or two. She has a name, nut this is a family-friendly site.

I sure hope the imr4350 will work for you. I didn't think it was working for me untill i hit 54 gr. and it got even better at 54 1/2 gr. and it's held together with the 200 gr. boolits ever since. Just hope i find a load with it for that 358009 boolit. It'd be nice to use one powder for both boolits.

OK i'm ready for a 360318 report!

Boolit Grand Master

I'll try the IMR and H 4350 head to head under the RD boolit next range trip, hope to cast a few 360318's as well. Problem is I have two acres of weeds to tame and a dead golf cart to recover so I'm not overly optimistic.

Boolit Master
    Shhhh...Don't anybody tell my old Lyman 358009 mould that I just ordered a 360318HP from Swede Nelson for my 2 ea .35 Whelens.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master

Your secret's safe with us, Shuz.
    Got some boolits loaded, even weight-sorted some boolits for the Whelen and the Remington. Loaded up five different trial loads and have a range trip scheduled for Sun AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I sure hope the imr4350 will work for you. I didn't think it was working for me untill i hit 54 gr. and it got even better at 54 1/2 gr. and it's held together with the 200 gr. boolits ever since. Just hope i find a load with it for that 358009 boolit. It'd be nice to use one powder for both boolits.

OK i'm ready for a 360318 report!
    I like the way 54grs of IMR4350 fills the Hornady case. Loaded up 5 ea @ 53.5, 54.0, and 54.5. I hope the RD 359-190 likes this powder as much as your 200gr boolit does. Thanks for the recipe!