WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunny, calm and -7*F at 3P.M.

Boolit Master

Sunny, calm and -7*F at 3P.M.

Beautiful day out, as viewed from my Living room window.

Went to the kitchen to pour a glass of V-8. Checked the water at the sink, The hot side was still full run but the cold had started to catch. That means freeze for those of you in the southland.
    So I simpley turned the faucet outlet valve to OFF and turned both hot and cold valves ON and walked away.
    Simple eh?
    I described the set up to one of ours (yours and mine) several years ago when he was having freeze up problems.
    I guess he must have forgoten or didn't give me credit for having a brain.
    Oh well, live and learn--------maybe.

Living in an old rickety farm house in North Central Maine for 40 years is a great educator on many fronts.

AWTTW
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boy thats cold!, don't miss being there.

Boolit Master

We have been really lucky here in East Tn for the last ten years or so we have not had any real winter, no snow to speak of and rarely did the temps drop into the single digits, only one time last winter did it get down to below 15F! Well our luck has run out and tonight is supposed to be 4F with some snow, tomorrow night it's actually supposed to dip below zero F, not bad weather at all for some folks I suppose but I just don't like cold weather!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Fought that pipe-freezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing stuff all my life................ until we moved to AZ 29 years ago.

banger

Boolit Master

I hope you are well prepared, 'cause the weather guessers say it's gonna' get really cold up there tomorrow! (Fri.) But that's not anything new to you! Stay bundled up and stay warm!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Inland New Hampshire isn't much better

It is about 6 above here with hard snow....it has been snowing since about 3 this morning.....snowed about 6" so far today.....and the worst is yet to come. The forecast says 18" when it is all said and done. It is supposed to get REALLY bad tonight later (somewhere about 8 pm it will start the heavy stuff and go all night) with snow rates at 2" per hour, with 35-50 mph winds. We are up on a ridge so we will get the worst of it. Blizzard warnings by NOAA have been issued. Weather radio is full of warnings.....
    How do we cope? Generator is hooked up and ready if needed....50 gallons of reserve fuel.....wood stove is fired up and keeping us toasty warm.....2 day supply of wood is stacked in the casting shed......another 7 cords outside....freezer is full of food.....snow blower gassed up and ready to roll....roof rake ready to go.......
    BRING IT ON!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Aye carumba! That's cold by anyone's standards.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Sunny and 60 or so today, looking for 74 by Saturday. I love the SW Texas weather, been there done that for a lifetime in the cold, no more for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    My old farmhouse is plumbed strangely, I only have to drip the hot water in the kitchen to keep everything in the house flowing. If you shut off the hot water drip though, everything will freeze solid.

My problem this year is my outside frostproof hydrant keeps freezing up, I think the gravel bed has filed in with silt so it doesn't drain quick enough. I guess I get to dig it up when it finally thaws out to find out. Mean while I get to carry water in a bucket from the house for the outside animals.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by lancem View Post
    Sunny and 60 or so today, looking for 74 by Saturday. I love the SW Texas weather, been there done that for a lifetime in the cold, no more for me!
    There is no such thing as bad weather....there are just underdressed people.
    I LOVE all the seasons in New Hampshire. All five of them. Summer, Fall, Winter, Mud Season and Spring.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus

Bath and kitchen faucets trickling mainly to keep water moving in the basement that isn't heated well. -8 for a high, -20 right now. Sunday night might hit -28!

Boolit Master
    Not sure about the generator and snow blower, but several cords of wood at the ready and a full freezer..... You're set, no problem!
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Generator is a must. Snowblower is a luxury, sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    Not sure about the generator and snow blower, but several cords of wood at the ready and a full freezer..... You're set, no problem!
    The generator runs the well pump, freezer, furnace (for hot water and backup heat only - it hasn't come on yet this year) refrigerator, sump pumps and a bunch of lights. We had an ice storm in 2009 that left us without power for 11 days.....never again. The snow blower does the driveway 2 cars wide by about 100 feet long. Too much to shovel. It took about two hours of good hard snow blowing, roof raking and shoveling to get all cleaned out but we are good to go. Power never even blinked. Now we just have to wait for it to warm up. High today only about 5 degrees.
    We got about 14" of snow with high winds so it drifted knee deep in places. Pretty good snowstorm!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    There is no such thing as bad weather....there are just underdressed people.
    I LOVE all the seasons in New Hampshire. All five of them. Summer, Fall, Winter, Mud Season and Spring.
    Supposed to be single digit windchill here this evening when I have to work outside for my shift. My sweetie said to wear my longjohns. I told her being cold means one thing, you don't know how to dress yourself.
    I got a very large education in old houses when i bought a 100yr old uninsulated fishing lodge in Northern Vermont. It was fun.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    I went to the range yesterday to do some chronograph tests. It was 36 degrees (very warm for January in Montana) when I left the house. The range is about 1000 feet higher than the house, and the wind was blowing around 30 MPH. I got my testing done, but didn't spend any extra time on targets like I normally do.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

Musings from my neighborhood:

Spent a few hours with the local EMS yesterday before the storm started. A fellow was teaching his daughter to drive on a vacant parking lot when she drove into a sump. Cell phone to call us, and we found a fellow with shorts sneakers and a t-shirt in the passenger seat and a lady with flip flops, shorts and a tank top trying to drive. They declined our services but accepted the tow truck's. Can I submit a Darwin nomination: the temp was 25 degrees and they were driving a drop top (top up of course).

Snow kept our ER slow last night but it promises to make up for it today / night. We only had 8 inches of fluffy stuff but the highway departments spend our hard earned $$ brining the roads before a predicted snow then salting them afterward>>>slush and ice under the snow for those Southern folks among us=lots of folks off the road this morning.

I asked the local road superintendent to try the dirt/ cinder trick before and during the storm , then plow it off the road when the snow stops and spread more cinders. He did that during the last storm (2-3 inches) and saved beaucoup $$ on salt and brine. Then, the town superintendent said he was contracted to buy so many tons of salt (bid and paid for before the season) so either use it or no $$ for it next year.....government sure could do a fine job with health care, too.

Stay warm and safe out there, Cast Boolits folks. No Darwin nominations among us.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Master
    -37 here yesterday morning. 12 this morning with 30 mph winds. Was a miserable two days to be working outside at the mine.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master
    It got really cold here last night, down to 42, I need to move further south!

Boolit Master
    If you like extreme weather changes try moving to Colorado Yesterday it was 61 and sunny and this morning it is 26 and snowing and blowing hard.
    Moving back to Alaska

I got you beat snowwolfe.
    2 weeks ago we had 50+ and the next day was -10.