RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popularity????

Boolit Grand Master

Question Popularity????

I'm not a shotgun reloader.
    I was just wondering what order, from most to least, would shotgun gauges be????
    I'm thinking 12ga would be the top, but how would the others be listed????

Boolit Master
    I'd say that the ones that are still easily found in chain stores are the "most popular", so 12 and 20, followed by .410. Which is a shame, because there was a reason it was called the "sweet 16".....

Dan

Around here the 16 is way more common then the 410.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Around here the 16 is way more common then the 410.

I think that is because the grizzly and brown bear are way more common where you live.

BB

So far as I've seen:

#1 = 12ga.

#2 & #3 = 20ga. & 410-bore (a fairly even fight over these positions especially since all the new 410-bore handguns)

#4 & #5 = 16ga. & 10ga. (a fairly even fight over these positions)

#6 = 28ga.

Way Behind = 24ga., 32ga., 8ga., 5-bore, 4-bore, all the wildcats.

Dead Last = 9mm rim-fire shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    I think that is because the grizzly and brown bear are way more common where you live.

BB
    That may be true. Around here 410 is about as rare as hens teeth.

I actually forgot about the 10ga. I jave only ever seen one, and found 4 emptys once.

Don't forget the 18ga. A friend of mine bought a 1880 or so vintage "16ga" shotgun and the found out later it was actually an 18ga. So far the only ammo he has seen for sale was one original blackpowder shotshell that went at auction for well over $100. RMC will make brass for the 18ga, minimum of 10 cases at $6 a pop, plus you have to do a chamber cast. If it was mine I would hang it on the wall or rebarrel it.

BB

Eight ga. found a niche in industry. I wonder if it's still getting used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_20360001.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	91770

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_20340001.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	91769

I judge popularity partially by what shells are sold on the shelf and the selection and variety thereof. I can tell you it is generally just as common to find 10ga. shells as easily if not easier and definitively in greater selection then 16ga. in my area. You will find an even greater availability and selection of 410-bore, and then 20ga. and of course 12ga. is king of all. Anything else, good luck on even finding it although I occasionally do so a solitary dusty box or two of 28ga. bird shot loads sitting on a shelf.

10ga. seems to be holding a good following and even gaining in the area of steel shot loads especially.

410-bore has literally exploded in popularity over the last decade or so, used to be only slightly more popular then 16ga. but now days its holding its own with the 20ga. if not edging a little ahead.

Boolit Master
    I haven't bought shotgun shells in a looong time, but judging from the sales fliers from various establishments like Cabela's, Gander Mountain, and Dick's. I would say 12 ga first, then 20 ga.

I occasionally buy factory loads, choosing what I buy not only by the load but by the hull it is loaded in and how many reloads I can get out of it. Sometimes scavenging of once fired hulls doesn't fully fill my needs and buying new never loaded or fired hulls doesn't give as good as fold crimps as factory fold crimped hulls do, I think the factory fold crimp machines do some kind of heat searing or something when they do the original fold crimp that forms the virgin hulls to the fold crimp much better then our reloading machines do.

Regardless, when I go into a gun/sporting-goods store I always browse through the ammo and gun section and always take a look at what is available even if I don't buy anything in either of those sections (and often I don't). AKA = window shopping.

Also, on the 8ga. industrial loads. Unless you have a custom build 8ga. gun that can take the pressure levels of the industrial loads don't use them, they are much higher pressure then the old 8ga. shoulder fired guns were built to take. Or at least that is what my GF tells me who has a couple of them and loads for them including one custom gun that can handle the industrial loads (chronic case of magnumitis). Also, bird hunters should be warned that nothing bigger then 10ga. is allowed for that so 8ga. is not legal for bird hunting, you can hunt non-flying critters with it using slugs or buck-shot but its a no-no to shoot birds with anything bigger then 10ga.
    Last edited by turbo1889; 12-28-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=turbo1889;2544940] I occasionally do so a solitary dusty box or two of 28ga. bird shot loads sitting on a shelf.

QUOTE]

I have never seen a 28ga. shooter that did not reload. This might explain this phenomenon!

12-20-28-.410-16- At least from what I see at the trap & skeet club. Frosty is right on, no-one (well people that I know) can afford to shoot 28 or .410 (16 for that matter) unless they reload. We've a shooter at the club that holds a 23 average at 5-stand with a .410...

My dad had a friend who only owned one shotgun- a 10Gauge SXS, used it keep woodchucks at bay in his garden. He used to say "The left barrel kills 'em, and the right one burries them".
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago, Remington had a heat seal type plug right in the center of the crimp that blew out when you fired them. After reloading we would drip some candle wax on it to keep the shot from falling out.

Boolit Master

All of the eight gauge industrial guns I have seen are on a stand and kind of resemble a little mini artillery piece. And they are loud! I can not remember for sure but I think the last one a saw was made by Winchester. Even a sporting 8ga with lower pressure than industrial would seem way to unpleasant to shoot. FB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I'm not a shotgun reloader.
    I was just wondering what order, from most to least, would shotgun gauges be????
    I'm thinking 12ga would be the top, but how would the others be listed????
    12 ga,20 ga (3"),410,10ga,16 ga,probably in that order or close to it.When the 3"20 ga came in it more or less did away with the 16ga,mostly goose hunters use the 10 ga,but I understand the 12 ga 3.5" magnum giving the 10 ga a lot of competion with the goose hunters.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

I've seen a trend in the last couple of years in the dove fields to more 28 gauges. Two on one day this fall. Of course, the skeet fields keep it alive too. I'd say 12-20-28-410 and then 16. Love my 28 gauge 870./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I've recently fallen for the 28ga too. Can load up 3/4 loads and patterns way better than a 410 and shoots way sweeter than a 20. It's been very popular in the skeet fields as of late