RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made revolver wads?

Boolit Buddy

Home made revolver wads?

Does any one make their own? I found the Duro-Felt website but what density and thickness do I need for .44 and .36 revolvers? And does anyone know where I can find a good "wad punch"? I guess I could make my own from pipe. I want to shoot my cap and balls more and this seems more economical to make my own. Thanks.

Perma-Banned

Irocz, check out buffaloarms.com They have a drill mounted one. I put it in my drill press at slow speed and just start cutting them out

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks John, up burning the midnight oil too huh? I'll check them out. What do you use as wad material?

Perma-Banned

I have not done the blackpowder wads for the revolvers yet. For carding for bp rifle I use the backers of tablets, playing cards and wool. I have to order some myself for something I want to try so hopefully someone posts what we need.

Just talk to the lady at Durofelt and tell her you want material for revolver wads. She will send you just what you need. 1/8" thick, white, hard, and cheap. As for wad cutters I use and make plenty of them but the best so far is the press mounted one from Fred Cornell that BACO sells. You can punch out hundreds of wads in short order. They are $50 but well worth it since they'll quickly pay for themselves compared to buying wonder wads. Dip the wads into melted Gatofeo #1 lube, let dry on wax paper, and you are good to go. Way better performance than anything you can buy.

-Nobade

For my Ruger OA I use wool hats I find at thrift stores and a 7 Mag case cut off as a punch.I cut them dry and lube them in 50/50 olive oil beeswax 100 or so at a time in a tuna can on the stove.the hats I get vary in thicknesses and stiffness but have all worked.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master
    for .36 get a 3/8 arh punch. for .44 I use a 7/16 punch. truned down on the end to fit a drill press. you can get them at a real hardware store or on line.

Perma-Banned

Nobade, I agree totally about the Fred cornel punches you can turn out a ton in just a couple of minutes. I have them for a my 458 and the 451 but still need to grab a 357.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I googled BACO and Fred Cornell and came up with more posts but no contact info. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Perma-Banned

BACO is Buffalo Arms company. Here is the link http://www.buffaloarms.com/

Boolit Man
    45 colt brass for 44 and a 38 or 357 case for 36 cal makes a good punch
    "Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading." Thomas Jefferson

Why the heck would you want to occupy such limited powder space with a wad? A revolver will not benefit from the protection of the ball or bullet and a grease wad is one painful way to lubricate black powder bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Go, to your local golfcourse maintenance shop and ask for their old hollow core aerator tines, Get the ones that are 3/8
    dia. Heat them cherry red to anneal them, They then can be cut with a hacksaw. As these are tapered cut till you have the
    desired dia. sharpen and reharden. As you use them the wads go up the tapered tine and pop out the top. Make up a batch
    of all the sizes you need. Cheap way to make punches. Just use a soft hammer to tap them with. You can go up to .69 cal
    wad size. As the top of the tine is 3/4 in outside dia.
    webfoot10

Also check out Osborne arch punches on eBay and/or Amazon.

Boolit Grand Master

Upper Missouri Trading sells wad punches for revolver and rifle wads. If you are handy you can make your own punch pretty easy.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Does any one make their own? I found the Duro-Felt website but what density and thickness do I need for .44 and .36 revolvers?
    Hard ... 1/8"
    http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html

Punches? Make your own or order some ...
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/press_mou...s_pr-4112.aspx
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wad+...a&channel=fflb
    And with hand punches, a Polyethylene Cutting Board and a 1# dead blow hammer and a nail to push out the wads

Next your going to ask ... Should I lube them? Yes, with melted Crisco and pat them dry in between paper toweling

Powder -Wad - Ball and That's All That's Needed to Know except how are you going to load the chambers?... Happy New Year Gents!
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-27-2013 at 06:43 PM.
    Regards
    John

Do what Bob208 does. Get the felt. Buy a set of hole punches from Harbor Freight ($7-$10) or your local hardware store. Chuck the punch (7/16" for 44 and 3/8" for 36) into a drill press and punch out a bunch of wads on slow speed over a wood block and then lube them with 50/50 beeswax and lard in a fry pan on low. They will cost about 2c each if that. Otherwise buy a bag or two of 1/2" fiber wads from Circlefly wads, lube them as above and split them into 2 or 3 wads each.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

I got my felt from Duro-Felt in Little Rock, I think it was $18 for a 18" x 36" piece. It's 1/8" and they specify on their website that it's for black powder wads. A 6 piece punch set on ebay cost me $5.95 plus a few bucks for shipping. I have a piece of railroad track I use for an anvil (with a piece of thick leather over it) and a framing hammer to punch out the wads. It seems to be easier if I lube the sheet of felt before I punch the wads. For lube I used beeswax, canning paraffin, and some olive oil. It seems to work fine.

Jim
    If it can't be fixed with a hammer it must be an electrical problem.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Chuck the punch (7/16" for 44 and 3/8" for 36) into a drill press and punch out a bunch of wads on slow speed over a wood block
    Been there - done this. Found unless one has a drill punch that Fred Cornell makes - you can knock out double layers of felt - faster & with cleaner edges using a GOOD hand punch against a Polyethylene cutting board laying on a concrete floor and a dead blow hammer.

PS: I'm the one that asked Ashya years ago at Duro-Felt to cut smaller sheets of felt for us shooters. Plus, I'm not a casual user of felt for wads. Average 1000-1200 a year for CAS and about 1500 a year for BPCR reloads ... all, the old fashion manual way for 14 different calibers
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Let's not forget yard sale hats,make sure to read the label for 100% wool.The last one I bought for a buck--a red one at that.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus