Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading notes, data, reference materials--how do you keep it?

In Remembrance

Reloading notes, data, reference materials--how do you keep it?

There was a discussion several days ago about some variances and issues with a particular caliber and boolit and load combination. During the discussion, the OP was asked about some specifics and didn't have them and was trying to "recall" some of the specifics. Another member here offered that note keeping and data management was pretty important to good reloading.

I agree, and agree heartily. I reckon some folks keep their notes on a computer or smart phone and others hand-written. I keep a handloaders log book in my reloading shop along with a handful of various reference manuals for everything from casting to loading to minor gunsmithing, plus several notebook binders filled with printouts and old xerox copies of data from years, and sometimes decades ago.

This is a typical page in my handloading notebook. Anytime I change ANY load for ANY caliber up, even by just a few tenths of a grain or different brand of primer or a significant change of alloy or projectile, a new entry gets made.

In it, I have the basics of powder type and charge, projectile type and weight and lube (if applicable), case, OAL, and how it shot and any brief thoughts on it. On the page above, you can see that the data is five years old, but the bottom load is one I continue to load today. There are four pages preceding it on just jacketed bullet data and variations that lead to me finding my "sweet spot" load.

When I head to the range to try a new load, I write down the specifics on 3x5 index cards. I also use 3x5 index cards as targets and record the appropriate data on them after I've fired a handful of rounds at them.

This gives me a physical indicator of how the loads performed. Notes are one thing, but when I can look through my index cards and actually SEE how they shot, I feel better.

I'm always making notes when I try something new or slightly different. I keep all notes and file them by caliber in ziploc bags. Again, it makes it easy to find prior results and match them with the notes in my log book.

For many of the long gun rounds load development, I keep actual targets and have them filed away in one of my ammo cabinets.

Over the course of many years, this has saved me lots of time, as well as money, from either duplicating old (bad or lesser) loads or wasting time trying to replicate good loads when I'm able to look them up, pull up the cards or targets to verify, and then go to loading.

Anyone do anything similar?

Banned

I finally abandoned the neat, pre-printed forms (including the ones I developed myself in Word Perfect long ago) and went to straight notebook paper. After having to go to a three-inch binder to contain it all a few years back, I gave up and got 1" binders for each gun. Some are full, some only have a few pages, but I can three-hole punch my standard 8.5x11 targets, write notes on them, and put them along with data pages. I can also keep detailed notes on what dies and tools were used, which is very handy for re-doing match ammo long after I've forgotten exactly how I prepped the brass, what size expander I used, or which seater die.

It's still messy to keep targets and data together, but I feel like it's a necessary evil. After drawing small pictures of groups in the load data notes and even photographing and "shrinking" the target pics to put with the notes, it loses meaning.

Someone here, and I hope he chimes in on this thread, has a detailed method of storing it all on his computer in searchable files which include exhaustive records of targets, pages of data entry, chronograph data, etc. I forget who it was or what program he used, but it was fantastic. An obvious advantage is quick duplication for safe storage. Imagine being to put a lifetime of handloading experience on one disc and store it in multiple safe places so it would never be lost or destroyed.

Gear

Boolit Master
    My record keeping is not as comprehensive as yours J.D. or as it should be for that matter. My manuals and books are spread out between the garage, the living room and the bathrooms. My notes and records are kept in the same ledgers that my father started using in 1953.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

I take an old digital camera with me to the range, put a sticky note with the
    load info and shooting conditions, usually, on the target, with a scale and
    take a photo. I have these all in directories and subdirectories on my
    PC and stored on a SD card and on a DVD for backup.

A few examples.

Subidrectory for each gun, then jbullet and cast subdirectories. For some with a LOT of load development
    I make subdirectories by powder, too. Occasionally realize that I left off some key info so
    edit it into the pic, like the one example shows. Captures the POI for the load, too, at least for
    fixed sight guns.

Works for me.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Records? People keep records?

Mine is in a binder, when it keep it. Much of my shooting is with the same old loads so no data is kept.

When I do chrono testing the data goes into a spread sheet so the computer can do the calculations of avg and SD.

My FIL has numerous notebooks with portions of targets and notes on plain old notebook paper. It is sorted by cartridge.

Record keeping just isn't myself front suit.

Love Life
    A 3 ring binder for each rifle. Targets are on blank white computer paper or notebook paper. Load data is on targets.

Brass prep get it's own page.

I also keep a count of rds fired.

Pistol: Don't shoot the well enough to bother. Once I find a load that hits where it is supposed to hit at 25 yds, I write it on an index card and staple it to the cartridge page in the reloading manual.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been using this reloading data form for a long time. As I reload my ammo, I log the data on the form you see below. When I've finished loading, I print the data sheet and pack it in the ammo box ( 50 round ammo box ) .

I take a digital camera to the range and take photos of my groups ( Row 1, Row 2 , etc. )

Once I arrive back come home , I'll add the JPEG photos to the data sheet. I can go back in time many yrs. now and see the groups that I fired and the exact reloading data that provided those groups.

The you attach your photos and identify each group with a Row # that matches the data sheet above :

These photos were taken with my cell phone.
    While these are not great quality photos, they do serve to give you a good idea of how the loads shot at the range.

Last edited by Ben; 12-25-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    The camera thing is something I never thought of. Imagine that, a couple old guys teaching the younger ones about technology..........

I have a digital camera, it may need to start going to the range. If nothing else I can use my phone.

Thanks for the idea Ben and Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    Deleted
    Last edited by Ben; 12-25-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Boolit Master

I set up a spreadsheet in Excel and keep powder, bullet and comments on each caliber.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master
    Imagine that, a couple old guys teaching the younger ones about technology..........

" Old Guys " ? ?

Hey Bill, what about that one ............?
    Last edited by Ben; 12-25-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My strategy is excel as well

I have a folder for each gun I reload for. All the load data and development and targets are kept in there, and then in the event that I sell a gun, the folder goes with it to the new owner. I also keep all the info on the gun on the inside cover, such as Serial Numbers, twist rate, and any modifications I made to the gun.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a three subject notebook. 1st section is load ie plated bullets and powder and date as well. Second section same thing but for cast (haven't used that yet) and 3rd section is the actual range report. Simple but don't have many guns so don't need extra stuff..... yet. I did this manily for powder because hard to get favorite powder nowadays

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Imagine that, a couple old guys teaching the younger ones about technology..........

" Old Guys " ? ?

Hey Bill, what about that one ............?

He is probably in bed already........

Actually Ben, I think it is great that you use technology in an intelligent way. The cell phone makes sense, mine is always at the range with me anyway.

Do you print the images or just keep them electronically?

Boolit Grand Master
    I only keep them electronically.

You can take a $15.00 Jump drive and keep 20 yrs. worth of reloading data and range photos on it.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    That is true. It is also very easy to keep them backed up on CDs too. Great idea.

Boolit Master

My records are kept in a combination of Excel and Word documents. I print up the load data take to range with me, make notes then enter notes back in documents when I get home. The last change I made was to add the load data reference and page number so I can go back in the event I have a problem. Last time I was getting cratered primers but couldn't figure out where I got the data from so had to start all over with that load.

Great post JD! And great follow up the the original thread.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Addressing this topic will likely be a constant "work in progress"

Dad and I started reloading some time around 1985, and we've got notes that go back almost that far. For a time, it was all in a notebook. That got cumbersome, and we recently did a major re-file. Currently, we're stashing data for each gun or caliber in a gallon zip-loc and keeping all of those in a large plastic tote. Since we're dealing with chronograph printouts, bits cut out of targets, and load workups usually done on 5x7 file cards, this seems - so far - to be ideal.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

There is a free program called Pointblank that will allow you to store all loading data and pictures on your computer.