Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ka BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, Read & Weep

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    To each his own, but I believe in mfg disclaimers! Never had a hankering for a glock!
    1Shirt!
    If you believe in mfg disclaimers you should stop reloading NOW. No mfg I am aware of will tell you reloads are ok.

Boolit Buddy
    these threads are nothing more than thinly veiled attempts to flame people that don't have the same likes as you. most reload safely and never have this issue regardless of the platform leading me to wonder what is the purpose of this incendiary topic if not just to start a childish internet flame war? it's not like you are delivering some new information that will uncover a fundamental flaw leading to a safety issue that we should all be aware of right?

Boolit Bub
    If you follow the OP's link to the Kaboom thread and read down a bit to the post mortem,

"there was so much lead in the barrel it looked like a smoothbore...hadn't been cleaned for 2000 rounds..."

Quote Originally Posted by 1950Hudson View Post
    If you follow the OP's link to the Kaboom thread and read down a bit to the post mortem,

"there was so much lead in the barrel it looked like a smoothbore...hadn't been cleaned for 2000 rounds..."
    I missed that. Funny thing is polygonal barrels look an awful lot like a smooth bore to start off.

Anyway. The guy was negligent with his lead reloads. Kept shooting a load with leading issues and ignored any cleaning. Not a fault of the cast boolit, not Glocks fault. All the blame lies on the young man. Hopefully he will pay more attention to what he is doing in the future.

People like the young man are exactly why Glock's (and other gun companies) lawyers have them put in all kinds of warnings. If they did not have the warnings they just leave themselves open to frivolous lawsuits.

Boolit Master
    looks like the work of an "expert" in reloading

Do you want to compare the bore between that glock, and mine which has shot many,many rounds of lead boolits? We can play "guess how many rounds down the pipe since it has been cleaned." Pick a number between 1-599.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh yeah.... That was undoubtedly caused by cast lead boolits.
    And monkeys fly out of a frogs ***.

There are poor people out there who want so desperately to be cool and make bang sounds. It's just so much for them to get their mind around all at once, and who has time to actually read these days?

So they charge ahead without realizing that one of the things you pay for with factory ammo is a certain level of QC.
    Then when things blow up, there's a whole troop of equally uninformed shooters who make fun of them and post their mistakes online.

All I'm going to say is "Fit is King" even in a Glock.

If any of you are members over there, please inform the OP that his friend can send the pistol to Glock and they will repair it for about $350.
    Buddy of mine did the same thing to his Glock, but he didn't have the convenience of having cast boolits to use as a scapegoat. His problem was a double charge of Bullseye.
    Hmmmm, I wonder what powder this guy was using? wanna bet?

One other thing, Somebody tell me how a Glock can fire out of battery.
    There's so much misinformation in that thread it was hard to read.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 12-10-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by seaboltm View Post
    any gun can kaboom. don't fool yourself into believing otherwise.
    No kidding, I've had this picture in my phone for a while and finally figured out how to get it onto the computer.

This was a brand new Kahr, as in just taken out of the display case, 4473 ran, and walked out the door and onto the range for his CHL qualification(literally brand new)

I believe it was the 3rd or the 7th out that this happened with, factory ammo that was off the shelf behind the display case.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Quote Originally Posted by 1950Hudson View Post

This comes up way to often to bad mouth Glocks and cast bullits. I have shot thousands of cast in my Gen 1 21 Glock and I have a cleaning Kit and USE IT! Select a powder that will overfill the case if double charge, use a powder check die, know what the h#$# your doing. You can only help those that will read, learn, do it right.
    Ok i feel better now, flame away!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Master
    "Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon. The pigeon knocks over all the pieces, s**** on the board and then struts around like it won the game." Mr. Putin

Is that a for real quote ?
    Last edited by runfiverun; 12-10-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    "Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon. The pigeon knocks over all the pieces, s**** on the board and then struts around like it won the game." Mr. Putin

This site says it is fiction:
    http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors...m#.UqeIDvRDvTo
    Last edited by runfiverun; 12-10-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    looks like the work of an "expert" in reloading

Do you want to compare the bore between that glock, and mine which has shot many,many rounds of lead boolits? We can play "guess how many rounds down the pipe since it has been cleaned." Pick a number between 1-599.
    xacex
    If I quess it right do I win anything..

Quote Originally Posted by possom813 View Post
    No kidding, I've had this picture in my phone for a while and finally figured out how to get it onto the computer.

This was a brand new Kahr, as in just taken out of the display case, 4473 ran, and walked out the door and onto the range for his CHL qualification(literally brand new)

I believe it was the 3rd or the 7th out that this happened with, factory ammo that was off the shelf behind the display case.
    Similar thing happened with a brand new G38 on another forum. He decided to put a couple mags of Winchester White Box through it on the way home from picking it up at the gun shop. Didn't even get a full mag through it before it Kaboomed. Winchester foot the repair/replace bill.

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie
    Miss Huevos,
    Glocks go KABOOM because of reloader error. Not WW lead with a touch of tin an antimony.

Banned

Nothing gets the Glock fan-boys overwrought like a Kaboom. Glocks go kaboom enough that there is a term for it, "Glock Kaboom." Cast boolits are but one cause. Stupidity is the #1 cause. Bottom line, there is no reason not to own a Glock, other than preference for another gun.

I don't know if it is true on not but you do have to see the truth in the sentiment!
    Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    "Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon. The pigeon knocks over all the pieces, ****s on the board and then struts around like it won the game." Mr. Putin

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by armexman View Post
    Miss Huevos,
    Glocks go KABOOM because of reloader error. Not WW lead with a touch of tin an antimony.

I have to disagree......Glocks go kaboom because of Glock's unsupported chambers and sloppy tolerances.

Friends of mine who have been involved in training at Louisville PD, Jefferson County PD, Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept. and more recently Louisville Metro PD have documented numerous Glock KB's.....all with issue ammo. They don't cut corners on training ammo; they train with what they carry and have changed from Remington to Winchester to Federal trying to cure the problem, but the brand doesn't matter.....Glocks blow up.

The problem appears to be that the gun will fire out of battery. Depending on tolerance stacking, some by a substantial amount. Combine that with a generous feed ramp and you have a KB waiting to happen.

There have been many more Glock KB's with jacketed ammo than with lead boolits, simply because there are many more jacketed bullets shot from Glocks. Lead boolits come with their own issues including leaded barrels (for whatever reason, including poorly finished barrels) and lube or lead deposits in the chamber. Any of these issues can interfere with chambering, which can cause the out of battery condition.

Check the fine print in the owner's manual that came with your new gun....no matter who made it and chances are the warranty is void if you shoot reloads (lead or jacketed).

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master

Okay. I don't like Glocks. They are ugly. A gun friend owns and carries one, and loves it. He gave it to me to heft, one day. It didn't 'feel' right. My 1911A1 'feels' right. That aside, what is is about a glock that causes so much controversy? What does a polygonal barrel have to do with anything? To me, that seems like Marlin's microgroove barrels. Why not lead in a polygonal barrel? And I have seen a few things on this site with cautions about how to load glocks that seen out of the ordinary. Are they that different? As I said, I am ignorant of glocks, but this thread has left me curious. Oh, I am talking about serious discussion, but bring the smack on, as well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    I have to disagree......Glocks go kaboom because of Glock's unsupported chambers and sloppy tolerances.

Friends of mine who have been involved in training at Louisville PD, Jefferson County PD, Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept. and more recently Louisville Metro PD have documented numerous Glock KB's.....all with issue ammo. They don't cut corners on training ammo; they train with what they carry and have changed from Remington to Winchester to Federal trying to cure the problem, but the brand doesn't matter.....Glocks blow up.

The problem appears to be that the gun will fire out of battery. Depending on tolerance stacking, some by a substantial amount. Combine that with a generous feed ramp and you have a KB waiting to happen.

There have been many more Glock KB's with jacketed ammo than with lead boolits, simply because there are many more jacketed bullets shot from Glocks. Lead boolits come with their own issues including leaded barrels (for whatever reason, including poorly finished barrels) and lube or lead deposits in the chamber. Any of these issues can interfere with chambering, which can cause the out of battery condition.

Check the fine print in the owner's manual that came with your new gun....no matter who made it and chances are the warranty is void if you shoot reloads (lead or jacketed).

Jerry
    1911's are the king of unsupported chambers and sloppy tolerances, at least in USGI configuration. I don't hear of 1911's going kaboom, although I am pretty sure it has happened more than once in the long 1911 history. Regardless, anecdotal data is not data at all, it is mostly disconnected observations connected by conjecture and opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    I guess if bad info is repeated enough times it becomes true.

Boolit Master

Again, any gun can kaboom. A quick google search shows 1911's, XD's, and all sorts of other guns detonating. Perhaps part of the reason Glocks get so much attention is they were legendary for durability. I suppose some people thought they were indestructible. Some people think Ruger BH and RH revolvers are indestructible, but they have been destroyed too. What is surprising is how tough guns really are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZaK7D4XVo8