Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Custom Rifle Makers

Custom Rifle Makers

I have a pre-64 Model 70 in 270 Winchester that I'd like to get restocked but have no idea who's doing this sort of work these days. Many years ago there were great artisans in their trade such as Dale Goens, Al Biesen, Alvin Linden and Hal Hartley but they're all gone. Does anyone live up to their prowess today? I've seen rifles by these in French and Circassian walnut that would melt your heart at the beauty of the stocks. I don't know if anyone has picked up this trade and carried on with the art or not. Any ideas?
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Master

You may try Wenig's out of Lincoln, Missouri. I have used them to turn blanks. They offer a full spectrum of services and are reputable. On the other hand, they can be pricey. I have tried cheaper routes, but have usually been disappointed.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Jerry Fisher, Dennis Olsen, Lee Heglund all come to mind.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

A quick search turned up this:

http://www.customshopinc.com/content...ngs/l0334.html

The picture of the stock they offer looks beautiful and should do that fine rifle justice. Another option is to get a stock blank and make your own.

When they show a "POR" you can bet it'll be a mint. I looked over Cooper's website but they don't show much about the available styles and what they look like nor the barrel/action. they mostly show the Custom Classic and that's it. You don't know what the others look like.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    The Custom Shop Inc stuff looks good but have no info about or experience with them. They certainly are catering to a higher end market- which is not necessarily a bad thing. The POR pricing makes me a little nervous about how high some of the $ may be. But, judging by only the pics, those Model 70 custom repros look excellent! And, may be a very good way to go when compared to other custom makers.

The gun market or more appropriately the current "taste" market is a very fickle one. Most of the custom makers, including the stock makers are constantly having to chase a market trend or charge a very high price for a very thin slice of it when they stick with a certain "taste". I know there are many custom stock makers out there who have garnered a following within certain circles by reputation and word-of-mouth, business is waiting list based, so they don't even have to (or want to) advertise or have a web site. After all, custom stock making is so labor intensive, the product output is, by nature, slow. So the prices are high and the business doesn't lend itself to volume sales. Many of the custom makers simply run high dollar - low volume and they are in some cases constantly fighting they're own burn-out. Many simply are not very sociable to most inquiries or tire kicking contact.

Boolit Master

I don't recall where I read this: "Take a $100 bill and fold it length-wise. Place it on a flat surface so it makes a little tent. Take a second $100 bill and fold it the same way. Carefully balance the second bill crossways on top of the first. Then set them on fire. If you can do this without flinching, you are ready to order a custom rifle."

Many of the custom makers simply run high dollar - low volume and they are in some cases constantly fighting they're own burn-out. Many simply are not very sociable to most inquiries or tire kicking contact.
    I remember I use to buy a copy of Gun Digest every year and would pour over the section where they had B&W photos of the various stock/rifle makers in the country. that's where I ran across Hal Hartley of Lenoir, NC. He was but an hour and a half away so I paid him a visit an explained what I'd like. After about a month he wrote me and asked that I come up to take a look at the two blanks he had to see which I may want. One was Bird's Eye Maple the other was the Curly Maple he was famous for. I chose the Curly Maple. We talked about the kind of action I wanted and the barrel and type of checkering and/or engraving. Two months later I received another letter than I could pick the rifle up. It was a wonderful experience and a beautiful Tiger Tail maple with checkering on the pistol grip and forend of 26 lines per inch and fleur-de-lis design.

From what I've read here I wont be experiencing that again as there appears to be little desire to do this sort of work today. I find that sad. I guess one just buys a factory rifle in whatever options they have or get a "pre-conceived and pre-made" custom rifle picking from the five or ten rifles already made. That's even more sad.

Burn two $100 bills? I can do that. However, I'd have someone take me to a local shrink for evaluation purposes.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    It is sad indeed. Times have achanged I think.

I knew Dale Goens. Would go by his place once in a while and he was more than happy to show ideas or projects he was working on or give advice on stock finishing and the like. Last time I was there he had just gotten a duplicating machine to reduce the time he had to spend on that part of the operation.

I still think there are many talented, low volume makers out there but finding them may depend on who you know and/or by pure luck. You might give Gun Shop Inc a call just to see what the range is for their M70 repro stocks.

And as far as the pre-64 factory Win 70 270 goes? Even though in the standard model, they were plain jane straight grained walnut, they still had that excellent contour and fit and the hand checkering really wasn't that shabby. Plus most had the grain running the right direction through the wrist so they had/have an appealing utilitarian elegance. Unless condition is that of a 60 year old axe handle, a decent one needs no apologies.

I saw some of Jerry Fisher's work today online and his rifles looked superb. He's on up there in years as well. I do hope some of the younger guys today pick up the trade and perhaps they already have the talent that just needs to be brought out if they can attain some degree of interest. I would hate to see it die out. I remember when I first got my first custom rifle from Hal Hartley I was overcome with curiosity and had to take the barrel/action off the stock and look. He had stippled his name inside the barrel channel and there's no telling how many times he rubbed that stock with linseed oil. It had a satin sheen unlike what you'll see today and the way he "cinged" that maple stock to bring out the grain with a blow torch was something to see only a master could do. His "fiddleback" Kentucky rifles I saw while at his shop a few times were sheer works of art.
    NRA Patron Member

If I wanted to lay out the money and wait the time for a full out custom rifle I would use Griffin and Howe. They are still turning out great rifles.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Of course, you're looking for references to do custom stock work. I have used the services of Simmons Gun Specialties; Olathe, KS. They restored my Winchester pre-war Mdl. 42, and pre-64 Mdl. 70, 264 to factory new condition. Each took about six weeks turnaround time. They both look like they just came out of the box. Their work I'd grade as impeccably perfect.

Boolit Master
    ColColt -

Howdy !

Mark Penrod ( Penrod Precison ) in North Manchester, IN ... is well known for his superb custom rifle/ walnut stock work.

He has ads in multiple shooting publications.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    Another vote for Mark Penrod.
    Very good communication and very fine work.

Boolit Master
    Check out macongunstocks.com.

TJ

Boolit Master
    The pictures on his website don't really do justice to his work, I've handled and drooled over them in person...........http://garystiles.tripod.com/id9.html
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

After looking over these suggested makers I'm under the impression gleefully there are still artisans out there today. Some of the work I looked at was nothing short of superb. Just for the heck of it I looked over Cooper's and they do fine work as well. I emailed them about the cost of one in 7x57 with a Custom classic stock(AAA grade French Walnut) but, it's only available in their Model 22-quote was $3995. That's not as bad as I would have thought for that kind of wood. I was also told they made their own actions which was a surprise.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    talk to Chris at: www.walnutgrovegunstocks.com. I was at his shop in Weiser, ID two weeks ago, and he had 36 different stock patterns for P64's. I got one for a custom 458 Lott I am building on a pre-war standard action stretched to take a true magnum length cartridge. Jim Kobe did the conversion, so I am confident it will work properly.

Rich

Boolit Grand Master

Burn 2 100 dollar bills that normally dosnt cover the fancy wood blank by half any more let alone the shaping fitting finishing inletting checkering. Col Colt the cooper rifles are very nice great fit and finish a custom made action ( not sure about barrels) and alot of pride craftsmanship in there, which is what your really paying for in one of these custom rifles. Nothing beats the hand work and eye of a craftsman.