Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Roasting a pheasant for Thanksgiving..

Vendor Sponsor

Roasting a pheasant for Thanksgiving..

Stumbled upon a MacFarlane's farm raised pheasant in the store and just couldn't resist the temptation to try one.

Made up some herb butter with rosemary, sage, oregano, basil, thyme, and paprika, it smelled the kitchen up wonderfully! I very slowly melted the butter, and mixed in all the spices, put that in the fridge and let it turn back to butter, I will stick some of it under the skin so it keeps the breast moist, and use some of it to baste with.

My plan is to stuff the inside loosely with a little onion, some rosemary and thyme, and 1/4 of a squeezed orange. Lay the bird in the baking dish with a little wine and chicken stock to keep it moist, and wrap some bacon slices over the top and roast until it's 165F or it looks done and the legs move easily and the juices run clear.

Cornbread stuffing with oysters, some serious looking NC raised collards and home made cranberry relish.. Oh yeah baybie, Bobby Flay got nothing on this!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Oh man, you're killing me!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Drooling on my shirt, let us know how it turns out

Vendor Sponsor

Turned out awesome but the show stopper was the gravy made from the pan drippings and the pheasant giblets cooked in chicken stock..

We will definitely have pheasant again. It's not cheap but the flavors beat a turkey by a large margin. These are very tasty birds when done with herb butter!

Last edited by DougGuy; 11-28-2013 at 05:22 PM.

That sounds a lot better then what im cooking. We just cut a orange in half, and slid it under the skin near towards the top, and made a bikini from tin foil to make tan lines as it bakes. Ill post pics later. Its going to the inlaws house when it comes out of the oven.