RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a good powder measure for ball powders W296/H110

Boolit Master

Need a good powder measure for ball powders W296/H110

Hey guys,

I've used W296 for the first time in a good while today in my Lee Perfect Powder Measure. It was pure aggravation. Powder pours out of the sides. I'll swear by this powder measure for other types of powders, but loading W296 was just a painful event I don't want to relive. I made a bib to keep powder spills from trickling into my little pan and then made a paper slide for it to funnel to a trey where I can catch the majority of it and put it back in the hopper. Sheesh! I should have taken a picture of my powder roller coaster and posted it. Anyway, the job is done and I don't want to pull the handle on my Lee PPM again with W296/H110 again!

Sooooo, what works? I use a single stage Lee Challenger Press. Should I use one of the Lee Disk thingies or get something by RCBS? Lyman? What works for you guys with Ball Powder?

Boolit Master
    I have both RCBS and Hornady powder measures. Both of them work well with W296.

I have had trouble with my lee powder measure using WW748. She locked up all jerky and spilled out the sides just like you describe. The measure is too loose. Dump your powder back into the can and disassemble the measure. Clean out all the granules that have gotten into the round pivots and all nooks and crannies. Be very thorough. Reassemble with tighter tension. It should move easily but not too easy. Try that and you should be good to go. At least that was what was going on with mine!

Boolit Master
    I thought every measure handled ball powder just fine.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    I thought every measure handled ball powder just fine.

Take care

r1kk1
    The problem is how fine H110/W296 is. It literally pours out of any gaps. I have the same issues w/ my PPM and PAD. Checked the pad for gaps like people have posted, all is fine where the disk meets the powder funnel. I only use fine ball powders in a RCBS Chargemaster. Yes it's a good bit of money. But no more powder leaks and it's a scale and automated dispenser all in one.

Boolit Buddy
    My UniFlow from RCBS has no troubles with those two.

Boolit Master
    Measures with a taper fitted or gound fit diamter between a steel or brass drum and a cast iron body do not have problems with H110/296. They are about the easiest of all powders to measure in a good tool.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master
    Lyman 55 should work well. The old Belding & Mull unit if you can find one would do well. The Harrell is high priced but will work like a champ. Overall, the size of your charge will be important... if it's small enough, the RCBS Little Dandy can also be used to drop consistent charges of these fine powders.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Another that works with H110/296 is the Forster/Bonanza Benchrest Powder Measure.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

I use the Little Dandy RCBS Powder measure for H110 or the RCBS Uniflow. Both work great.

Boolit Master
    My remedy for a leaky Lee was to replace it with a Lyman 55.

Boolit Grand Master

I havent loaded 296 in along time but it does well in the rcbs measure with the small drum. It also worked well in my redding BR. I had issues with Lees auto disk and PPM with ball powders also. I have a couple Harrels and they are great measures never tried 206 in them though.

Boolit Master
    Found an old Saeco powder measure in a now long closed shop for 10 bucks intregal stand type micrometer adjustment find one of these and your golden, meanwhile the RCBS measure is the easy out here, Lyman OK but a tad to finicky to adjust in the smaller pistol loads rifle no issue.

Boolit Grand Master

Pretty much any measure will work well with superfine ball powders like that one.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    My Dillon and my RCBS Uniflo love the stuff.

Dave C.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Buddy

Both my Lyman 55 and Redding have no problems with 296. I have had trouble with fine ball powder like HS-5 working its way between the drum and side of the measure on the Lyman.

I've had issues with 296 getting between the brass drum and the body making consistent measuring difficult. Works fine in Mec shotshell and dillon measures.

hotbrew
    Life is good, if you don't weaken...
    There is prudence in public knowledge of who can own guns, but there is danger in knowing who does own guns

Boolit Master
    Another repeat of the previous; my RCBS Uniflow works GREAT with 296 / H110. If you want a Cadillac, and have disposible coin, ($230.00) the Harrell "Schuetzen" measure is the cat's *ss.
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The problem is how fine H110/W296 is. It literally pours out of any gaps. I have the same issues w/ my PPM and PAD. Checked the pad for gaps like people have posted, all is fine where the disk meets the powder funnel. I only use fine ball powders in a RCBS Chargemaster. Yes it's a good bit of money. But no more powder leaks and it's a scale and automated dispenser all in one.
    Dragon, I haven't had a measure that would not work well with 110. I have a ChargeMaster and JDS QuickMeasure plus 4 Dillons. I use the QM or Dillons with it and no issues. My father-in-laws old RCBS Uniflow works too.

I'm just surprised. I use 110/296 for a lot of things.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have any measures besides the ones in my post. So I can't say if the others work. I can say that the two Lees I have leak like sieves. Once I got the chargemaster I put the PPM away permanently. It's there for if power ever goes out for good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast