Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this leading?

Boolit Man

Is this leading?

Sorry guys complete noob here working on and shooting my first loads. Does this stuff coating my rifleing look like lead? Or could it be the LLA/JPW lube? Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barrel.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	86218

Time to get the scrub brush out... Looks like leading to me... Most common ways to get that is to much powder, or a bad fitting bullet.. Alloy can also be a factor... Get the brushes out...

Boolit Man
    The reason im wondering if its the lube and not lead is I seem to have a good amount of it on the barrel throat too.

Name:	newbarrel.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	86220

Boolit Buddy
    It is hard to tell from your picture. Try running a patch soaked with Hoppes #9 through the barrel and let it sit for a few minutes. Then swab it out with clean patches. If the streaks are gone, its probably not lead.

Boolit Man
    patched a couple times. It did not remove all of the material but it removed a lot of it. Sorry i just cant get good photos with this phone and my camera is dead as usual. I do know that brushing will remove all of the material.

Name:	newest barrel.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	86225

Boolit Man
    Another post patching picture. Hard to get good pics of this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04025.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	86227

I am pretty sure its lead, but it is hard to tell for sure. If you could use a real didital camera, that would help. Sure looks like lead to me.... If it is lube, i would be removed with a standard copper barrel brush pretty easily in my experience. It it is lube, it is dang hard, time to switch to johnsons paste wax and bee's wax 50/50 with a colorful crayon thrown in for color.

Boolit Man
    I brushed the barrel then ran a patch through. This is the materials appearance on the patch. It does sparkle some when the light hits it, im not sure if the excess unique powder in the barrel could be reflecting or it it is in fact tiny lead specs

Name:	lead.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	86229

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    I am pretty sure its lead, but it is hard to tell for sure. If you could use a real didital camera, that would help. Sure looks like lead to me.... If it is lube, i would be removed with a standard copper barrel brush pretty easily in my experience. It it is lube, it is dang hard, time to switch to johnsons paste wax and bee's wax 50/50 with a colorful crayon thrown in for color.
    The copper barrel brush will remove the material. The lube im using is the Johnsons paste wax/ Lee allox and mineral spirits. The last pic is taken with a digital camera. The problem im having is if i insert a bore light into the end of the bore it lights the barrel completly and you cant see the material slicking the rifleing, it causes it to appear like a clean barrel. So im having trouble getting pics with natural light in the end of the barrel. What would happen if I ran a dozen or so unlubed rounds through the gun? Guess that would let me know for sure if it was the lube or not.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Looks clean enough to me. Get it spotless, you will have to shoot a bunch to recondition the bore. I have no idea how long it has been since I've cleaned any of my barrels. Years for some, I'm sure.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    it looks like it is slight leading prolly because of not enough lube.
    ask me how i know

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by realllynow View Post
    it looks like it is slight leading prolly because of not enough lube.
    ask me how i know
    The first time it happened I single lubed. Then for todays bullets I double lubed to where my bullets where almost bronze to try and eliminate weather or not it was underlubbed leading.

Boolit Man
    I've got metallic looking grey gunk on my bolt face and even some places in my slide. Im almost convinced its lube all in my gun.

Banned

The real question is how does it shoot? If that's a little lead or antimony wash, and it doesn't keep building up to an unacceptable level where accuracy goes south, don't worry about it. If it isn't any worse than that after, say, 1-200 rounds, I'd forget about it. Run a patch through it once in a while and call it done.

Gear

Banned

that does look like some leading to me.
    the lube isn't to blame..
    look to diameter for the real culprit.

Boolit Man
    The only thing comfusing me is the metallic gray gunk on the bolt face. How could lead get there

Boolit Buddy
    You might not have belled your cases quite enough and shaved a lead ring while seating the bullet. If not noticed and left hanging on the case mouth when you shot the I think it could stick anywhere in the barrel.

Boolit Man
    Nope i made sure that didint happen im inspecting these cratridges so much im loading maybe 50 an hr. Im being veey carwful since these r my first rounds

Banned

gas cutting.
    and the cases are work hardened they ain't sealing.
    try another bunch of brass and see what happens.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by el roboto View Post
    The copper barrel brush will remove the material. The lube im using is the Johnsons paste wax/ Lee allox and mineral spirits. The last pic is taken with a digital camera. The problem im having is if i insert a bore light into the end of the bore it lights the barrel completly and you cant see the material slicking the rifleing, it causes it to appear like a clean barrel. So im having trouble getting pics with natural light in the end of the barrel. What would happen if I ran a dozen or so unlubed rounds through the gun? Guess that would let me know for sure if it was the lube or not.
    Please! do not shoot unlubed boolits, you will regret it, you will have a lot of leading. I have heard of guys shooting unlubed boolits in rifles, but only with COW (cream of wheat) over the powder to the base of the boolit and they were not getting leading.