MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: BSA Monarch rifle

Boolit Master

BSA Monarch rifle

anyone had any experience with the BSA Monarch rifle ? I found one (30-06) for sale at $290.00 and it looked pretty good to me but I wonder about accuracy? etc.
    Along side it was a nicely sporterized Springfield 1903 (30-06/original barrel) for $300.00 but it had a broken ejector so I am pondering the choices between the two
    thanks
    atr
    Last edited by atr; 10-18-2013 at 02:04 PM.

They are fine rifles. You will not be disappointed in it assuming the barrel has not been abused. They were economy style hunting rifles imported into the US during the 1960's and early 70's. At one time Herters sold the BSA rifles under their U9 sporter destination, the Zastava Mausers were sold under the J9 Mauser designation.
    Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you.

Boolit Master

Basically a commercial 98 action. Most were well made, nice looking rifles.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Google the stalking directory.co.uk. You will probably have to register to do a search but search "BSA Monarch bolt removal". LOTS of good information about that subject and the BSA rifle in general.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Yes. Fairly clean lines based on a commercial Mauser type action. Somewhat cleaner lines and action than many of the Springfield 03/03A3 based sporters.

The ejector on the Springfield is a very easy fix and would not influence my decision one way or the other if everything else were OK.

If the bore condition of the BSA is good- that "seems" like the better deal. Hard to pick between the two without having the option of shooting each and comparing- which is the bottom line anyway.

Ithaca also had a line of bolt actions called the LSA that came out in the mid-late 60s. I don't know if they are the same base action as the BSA (they look similar in outward appearance). They were a pretty nice rifle.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 10-19-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Perma-Banned

shot the fire out of one when i was young and loved it. someone stoleit however and i always wanted to replace it but just got into other brands and never ran across one again. i would buy one in good shape in a second though today.

Boolit Master
    I had two one in 243 and the other 270 win, both good shooters I still have the 243.

I'd rather have the Springfield, ILO any BSA centerfire boltgun. (Jes' sayin')

Triggers, stocks, barrels & other accessories are a no-brainer for the Springfield.

Last edited by pietro; 10-24-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride