Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The "Inscrutable" Cast Softpoint EXPANSION TEST

Boolit Master

Thank you, Mr. Lapp.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Yup.

Saw it, right off.

There is a lot of "plastic "cardboard around, most election signs are made of it .. and the rubber comes from mine distributors , they have a lot of tag ends from large rolls that you can pick up pretty easily...and pretty reasonable .. talk to some of your mine guys they may have some laying around.........Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I'm a little disturbed at the waste of 80 pounds of rice, though. The stuff was pouring off the tailgate like lava from Mauna Loa. Fortunately, there were no witnesses except all you fellers here.

Maybe next week I'll have it set to try again.

Bruce,

Maybe? Expensive lesson, but when the results are in, you will be more comfortable and that will pay back over time.

Ahhhhhh, what happened to the first bullet? Did it get washed away in the title wave you mentioned?

One thing you might consider is a single gallon jug of water in front of the trap to absorb some of the shock.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

On Heaven's Range

Once again, thanks for the input.

OH, yeah, it needs a top! On that one fateful shot, I'd set up the top with about an inch of room to move vertically on its eight bolts, and it did indeed lift FAST, with rice spewing from the gap at high speed.

Y'know, I've seen hydrostatic shock vividly demonstrated many times before this, but I was still impressed with the commotion that a simple cast bullet at 1800 fps caused. The bullet did get lost in the disaster, but I'll cast and load a couple more .30s for the next try. 311299, with its long narrow profile, seemed like a good "worst-case" trial bullet, meaning that if 299 expanded well, then anything with a blunter shape should work even better. I think that 311291 and 311284 are good candidates, and I should be able to make a few softpoints in those designs before the next outing, probably next Thursday or Friday.

"The next outing"....The Box is now much-improved. I replaced the smashed-up part of the bottom with another piece of 1/2" plywood, and then added a new, additional bottom on the outside made of 3/4" plywood. Then the side walls were doubled in thickness by sheathing them in another layer of 1/2" ply. Since the major impact and pressure wave occurs on first contact, the new bottom and side sheathing are attached with drywall screws on about 3" centers over the entire surface of the new additions for the first two feet of the Box.....that is, the screws are in rows of five across the 12" width and the rows are 3" apart. I will be mightily surprised if THIS comes apart!

The rubber did come from the mechanical department at the mine. I'll be checking to see if I can arrange to buy some through company sources.

The various suggestions for waterproof partitions are excellent. When it comes time to refine the testing to the degree that I want to see WHEN the various expansion stages take place, the plastic-type partitions look like a very good bet. I have a strong feeling right now that the max expansion was pretty nearly instantaneous on first contact.

A video of the event wouldn't be very dramatic, I'm afraid. There was just the jumping of the top to the limit of its travel, along with some rice flying out around the edges. No external damage appeared at the shot. All the "action" was on the bottom of the box, out of sight.

The fat lady hasn't sung yet, by gum!
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    The rubber did come from the mechanical department at the mine. I'll be checking to see if I can arrange to buy some through company sources.
    I also have a need for some rubber sheeting like you describe. After you learn more about it, I would like to talk to you about getting some, myself.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Bruce, Charlie:

Check out the butyl(?) rubber sheeting used for pond liners; it looks like good, durable heavy stuff. Does the mine have any lined settling ponds?

Doug

If you're getting suction at the first part of the box after the boolit passes, then the rubber inside the box with many holes drilled to let air in under the rubber to keep the suction from destroying your box might be a good idea, FWIW. Maybe the rubber bladder inside a metal cage would be good.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Bruce, I'm having a great time, watching this topic. You may yet, defeat high school physics class!

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Nothing to contribute technically, but I just figured out why this thread is called "inscrutable." Now onward to even more puzzling things, like understanding SWMBO.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by NVcurmudgeon View Post
    Nothing to contribute technically, but I just figured out why this thread is called "inscrutable." Now onward to even more puzzling things, like understanding SWMBO.

It means She Who Must Be Obeyed!
    Mel W.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by melw View Post
    It means She Who Must Be Obeyed!
    Mel W.
    Mel, I understand the acronym, it's the mind behind it that puzzles me.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by NVcurmudgeon View Post
    Mel, I understand the acronym, it's the mind behind it that puzzles me.

Well ask the imposable why don't you!
    Try as I might I am in the dark there as well!
    Mel W.

Boolit Buddy
    Another sheet material could be the gray EPDM/vinyl sheeting used for shower pan liners. I think it's thicker than the pond liner stock. Comes on a roll, cuts with scissors, and can be solvent-welded to seal seams. Bought mine at Home Depot to make custom oversize developing trays for photos for a convention booth.
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

I have been wondering if the rubber face on the box stretched into and buckeled the box before being penetrated by the bullet maybe you should be looking at reinforcing the end behind the rubber , ply under the rubber with a hole marked for shooting through...Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant

Boolit Grand Master

Bruce, absolutely awesome subject! I am following it with fascination. I don't have anything else to offer except some information I gleaned from some of LOML's reading. She's a geologist.
    In short: Landfills are made with multiple layers of lining, one of which is a material very similar to what is being described here. I offer this only to say that it therefore should be available in reasonably large sections!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

As far as water proof depth markers you could go to the post offic ena dget a handful of tyvex envelopes and slip cardboard into them and then slip into the frame. shoot a hole in it and you can then patch and replace cardboard or replace envelope and cardboard.

You could also talk to one of the local realty agencies about the little plastic signs they put out, should be the same as the election signs mentioned above.

Less liquid in the medium will help with hydrostatic shock. You can cook the rice a bit to make it expand and soak up some liquid. But on the other hand if you want to get a realistic test you need to consider what percentage of a living creature is water.

Bruce this is short notice but I do have some of that plastic the mines use under their leach pads , AND I am going to reno this weekend ,, actually leaving tomorrow and returning Fri night ,If you need this I will be happy to drop it off to you . you can call me at 775 738 8655 today or tomorrow if you want it......Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    NV Curmudgeon:

It comes from a character in a series of English mysteries, a lawyer named Rumpole, who refers to his wife as "She Who Must Be Obeyed". But it really goes back to a turn-of-the-century series of English adventure novels by H. Rider Haggard: "She" and "Ayesha, the Return of She", about an Indiana Jones type, Allan Quatermain, who gets involved with a sort of witch-priestess a few thousand years old, whose subjects are forbidden to speak her name, and refer to her by that phrase, and..., and.....

Oh, never mind; check it out of the library and read it for yourself; it's a real hoot.

floodgate

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by floodgate View Post
    NV Curmudgeon:

It comes from a character in a series of English mysteries, a lawyer named Rumpole, who refers to his wife as "She Who Must Be Obeyed". But it really goes back to a turn-of-the-century series of English adventure novels by H. Rider Haggard: "She" and "Ayesha, the Return of She", about an Indiana Jones type, Allan Quatermain, who gets involved with a sort of witch-priestess a few thousand years old, whose subjects are forbidden to speak her name, and refer to her by that phrase, and..., and.....

Oh, never mind; check it out of the library and read it for yourself; it's a real hoot.

floodgate
    Now you've done it! Didn't you know that recommending a book to me is like leaving a jug of "Old Redeye" on the sidewalk of Skid Row? Seriously, thanks very much. Isn't Quartermain the hero of "King Solomon's Mines," or at least mentioned in it?

Moderator Emeritus

Back before Sharon Stone decided she looked better with her clothes off, she and Richard Chamberlain made a movie about it, also there was a B&W about She. BOth are more funny than serious. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze