MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The .35 caliber

Banned

The .35 caliber

I’ve owned and shot handguns from .22 rimfire to 45 Colt and they all have their place. For reasons that I once understood but can no longer articulate, I’ve been drawn to guns with bore diameters near that magical .35” mark.
    I just find that I enjoy shooting 9mm’s and 38 Specials more than anything else. There’s nothing wrong with the big bore guns but they only seem to leave the safe to be traded for another .355” - .357” gun! I’ll never totally abandon the .22’s and 32’s but they just don’t excite me much.
    At first I told myself that it was purely economics, the mid-bores used less powder and lead. Then I said that nobody really reloads 32 ACP. I tried to convince myself that used brass was more plentiful in 9mm and 38 Special; as the used 40S&W brass piled up. I finally admitted that I had a problem and confessed my love affair to my girlfriend. She said she understood and forgave me but I couldn’t have her Glock Model 19.
    I know I’m sick but I hope that by raising awareness to this issue others will have the courage to come forward. I hope I’m not alone.

(Have you seen those .38 Special only GP-100’s !! Oh what I’d give for one of those!)

Boolit Master

Get a hold of a .35 caliber rifle and see what it does to your soul....
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

Don't think you're sick at all P&P. It's America and we can shoot 9mms, 38s and 357s to our heart's content. Now don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the other calibres, but when all is said and done I probably shoot twice as many 35 projos than I do 32s, 41s or 45s combined now that I'm retired.

Nothing quite like a day at the range or in the field with a Browning Hi-Power or a S&W K Frame.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned
    7.62mm is as close to .35 caliber as I dare get in a rifle cartridge. One addiction at a time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetzer View Post
    Don't think you're sick at all P&P. It's America and we can shoot 9mms, 38s and 357s to our heart's content. Now don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the other calibres, but when all is said and done I probably shoot twice as many 35 projos than I do 32s, 41s or 45s combined now that I'm retired.

Nothing quite like a day at the range or in the field with a Browning Hi-Power or a S&W K Frame.
    Ah.... The P-35 and the K-frames.........Maybe if I get away from work tomorrow I can sneak to the range, just for a few rounds...

Boolit Master

.35 madness

P & P -

Howdy !

Ahh... the .35 caliber

I've been shooting .357Mag for 38+yr. No other carry gun, for me ! I've owned one .35 "calibre rifle or another for 41yr.

My .35 rifles ( in-order ) started w/ my first M-336C buy, then an 1894SC in .357Mag, an H & H SB2 Ultra in .357Max, a custom .357AutoMag carbine
    on a Wichita WBR1375 action ( a full-tilt bench rest rig ); and these days..... the best of them all..... a M-336XLR in .35Rem.
    THIS gun was CT made, and represents the very zenith of lever gun achievement; IMHO. Mine, is just stupid accurate.

RX:
    " Buy... 'till it helps ".

With regards,
    357Mag

" Don't exaggerate..... I've told you A THOUSAND times ! "

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I’ve owned and shot handguns from .22 rimfire to 45 Colt and they all have their place. For reasons that I once understood but can no longer articulate, I’ve been drawn to guns with bore diameters near that magical .35” mark.
    I just find that I enjoy shooting 9mm’s and 38 Specials more than anything else. There’s nothing wrong with the big bore guns but they only seem to leave the safe to be traded for another .355” - .357” gun! I’ll never totally abandon the .22’s and 32’s but they just don’t excite me much.
    At first I told myself that it was purely economics, the mid-bores used less powder and lead. Then I said that nobody really reloads 32 ACP. I tried to convince myself that used brass was more plentiful in 9mm and 38 Special; as the used 40S&W brass piled up. I finally admitted that I had a problem and confessed my love affair to my girlfriend. She said she understood and forgave me but I couldn’t have her Glock Model 19.
    I know I’m sick but I hope that by raising awareness to this issue others will have the courage to come forward. I hope I’m not alone.

(Have you seen those .38 Special only GP-100’s !! Oh what I’d give for one of those!)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Ah.... The P-35 and the K-frames.........Maybe if I get away from work tomorrow I can sneak to the range, just for a few rounds...

Really? When was the last time you shot "just a few rounds?"
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I think you should start paper patching those 35s. Lotta fun.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 357 Magnum is by some distance my favorite handgun caliber. I thought that once retired I might do more large-caliber handgunning, but not so. I just shoot a lot more of what I've always cranked off--357s, 38s, 32s in an array of chamberings, and some 30pistols. But the 357 is pre-eminent, always. NOTHING in a sideiron does more things well than a well-made, medium-frame, double-action 357 Magnum with a 4" barrel.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Though I shoot and like my 9's, I admit the 357 is probably the best handgun round out there and the guns that shoot them the most versatile. I just prefer auto's over revolvers now.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Well... it seems like "just a few rounds"

Boolit Buddy
    I would like to sympathize, but i have the same problem. 35's are wonderful.

Just got my third 35 rifle. Good versatility & wide range of applications. Try it, you will like it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a older model TC Contender with a 14" BBl w/ compensator in 35 Remington it sure is sweet.

Banned
    OK, I was starting to think I was some kind of outcast but now I'm feeling that I'm not alone. Thanks

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure I could pick a absolute favorite, but the .357 Mag in both various handguns and rifles is definitely one of my favorites. Now if you were to count my guns and the chamberings on each, then the .357 Mag would probably either come in first of second, but it would be very close either way. Don't worry, we're not addicts, just enthusiasts!
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Mold
    The last four guns i purchased were 35cal. I guess that makes me a 35 cal-aholic also. I like to take my M92 357 to the range and let the younger generation get hooked. Never had one leave without a huge smile, begging daddy to get them one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    I shot some .38 Special today. 224 to be exact. 4in. Model 10 and a 10in. Oct. Contender. Fun all around. Came home with a sack full of brass and black hands. Blasted clay pigeons, paper targets, pieces of large concrete. The majority of the bullets shot were Lyman 358-477 and some Lee 158gr. RNFPs. The Lymans were stoked with 4 and 5gr. Unique and the Lee was stoked with 3gr. Bullseye. Can't beat some .35 caliber shooting fun. Even managed to get a sizeable pocket full of shot bullets I found scattered downrange.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

For myself I am reverse when it comes to Pistols. For me the .357 Mag or .38 is fine. But for some either odd or Dumb reason I have done better and feel more confident in the .44 Mag.

I will drag a .38/.357 Mag around allot. But if I feel I might need to do some serious shooting it is always the .44 Mag.

Also due to where I hunt and have been informed that I need to watch out more for two legged critters from South of the Boarder I will carry a Lipsy's Ruger Stainless Super Blackhawk Bisley with a 3 3/4 barrel .44 Mag in the field if I can not keep a rifle handy.

And around camp a S&W 629 Classic in .44 Mag that will flat out reach out there and touch stuff HARD lol. I do not wish to have to feel the need to use 2 or more rounds when 1 will work.

That reminds me lol. This younger fellow that we hunt with always carries his Barreta 9MM and was bragging that he had 15 rounds in it while I only had 6. And I got tired of it lol. So I said what good is 15 rounds if you can not hit anything with it lol. So I gave him a bet with a cactus head about 30 yards out. I told him go ahead and pull that pea shooter and hit that cactus head. You know he blew 15 rounds and never hit the darn thing lol. So he said well this is a pistol and they are not meant to shoot that far. And that if he could not hit it then I could not lol. I put all 6 rounds in that cactus head of about a 2" circle off hand from my S&W 629 Classic. I amazed myself as I am not pistol shooter. But that shut him up lol. Except he kept saying that thing is sure LOUD lol.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 08-09-2013 at 02:38 AM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

I hope that by raising awareness to this issue others will have the courage to come forward. I hope I’m not alone.
    Hi, my name is Nick and I'm a .35 calaholic! In my handgun collection there are 2 .45's, 1 .44 and very many .35's. My centerfire rifles are 1 .30 cal and three .35's. I don't even want to get started on .35 cal molds!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Now we have to include the molds to raise the "count"??? Oh boy....
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?