RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What"s the worst thing you ever ate ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    The 'gumbo' at Pappadeaux's.

dale in Louisiana
    +1 on that. Just to add a little, I tend to think of Pappadeaux's as a high priced Red Lobster or Long John Silver. They serve some good seafood, but not Cajun, kinda like Velveeta vs a real good cheddar cheese. Both cheese, just not the same.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

If I want gumbo, I make it myself. At least that way, I know what goes into it. I hate even the *look* of okra, so I create a filé gumbo. I also don't like putting anything in my gumbo that cannot be consumed (e.g. seafood shells / exoskeletons, bones, etc), so I de-bone the chicken and shell all the seafood.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by grumman581 View Post
    If I want gumbo, I make it myself. At least that way, I know what goes into it. I hate even the *look* of okra, so I create a filé gumbo. I also don't like putting anything in my gumbo that cannot be consumed (e.g. seafood shells / exoskeletons, bones, etc), so I de-bone the chicken and shell all the seafood.
    I'm with you. I like a file' gumbo. Used to hate when Mom made okra gumbo, something she did on the rare occasion.

I depart, though, about deboning. i think a whole chicken carcass lends 'body' to a gumbo, the bones adding flavor as well as natural gelatin that thickens and enriches. So do little crabs that are too small to mess with to shell out for meat. We even called that size 'gumbo crabs'.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master
    I can't be in the same house with sauerkraut.
    Worst food poisoning I've ever had was old oysters that my 2nd wife intentionally fed me. It was a short marriage.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    I'm with you. I like a file' gumbo. Used to hate when Mom made okra gumbo, something she did on the rare occasion.

I depart, though, about deboning. i think a whole chicken carcass lends 'body' to a gumbo, the bones adding flavor as well as natural gelatin that thickens and enriches. So do little crabs that are too small to mess with to shell out for meat. We even called that size 'gumbo crabs'.
    I cook my whole chicken first in order to get the chicken broth, so I figure I get enough of the "body" at that point. If the chicken is frozen, then I put it in a pressure cooker for 1 hr. The fat liquefies and I keep it, but the skin, bone, neck, and organs either get fed to the dogs or thrown away. I like my gumbo to be such that when you eat it, there is NOTHING left in the bowl afterwards. You should not have to pick out the parts of your mean that are not eatable. It's one thing to have to do that on a t-bone steak or a side of BBQed ribs, but you should not have to do that on gumbo -- it should be "good to the last drop"...
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

pickled pig's feet.

Way worse than bugs, slugs and road kill.

I cant eat fresh fish or shellfish without throwing up due to a bad experience 35 years ago. I can if its had all the guts cooked out of it and is wrapped in batter and comes with chips sprinkled with lemon or vinegar, brussel sprouts cooked in the water with corned beef onions and carrots is fantastic
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Has anybody ever had a tamarind?

They sell them dried and sugared at the Mexican grocery stores around here. The ladies at work tell me that it is an acquired taste, but I don’t see how you eat enough of the nasty things to acquire it.

Boolit Master
    I used to like those miniature cheese wheels coated in red wax. Got sick one time after eating them, not related to the cheese, and never could eat em again.

Ate a bunch of chicken cacciatore and penne pasta one time as a kid then barfed about half an hour later. Probably ate too fast and that is what upset my stomach. I still can see in my mind those red coated half chewed noodles hitting the bottom of the bath tub a high velocity. Can't eat penne to this day, not too keen on cacciatore either...
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master

I like meat and taters.

Pasta is good.

Real fish is good. Nothing that squishes.

I love the following green vegetables:
    1) Pickles
    2) Hot peppers ( any variety )

Chocolate.

Other than that, forget it.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    Went to a French restaurant for a company Christmas dinner as the company footed the bill I ordered
    Escargot for the starter tasted like garlic flavored snot and chewy like rubber wasn't game to try the frog's legs.
    Robert.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooternz View Post
    Went to a French restaurant for a company Christmas dinner as the company footed the bill I ordered
    Escargot for the starter tasted like garlic flavored snot and chewy like rubber wasn't game to try the frog's legs.
    Robert.
    They didn't cook the escargot correctly then. Probably not fresh. I bet frozen would be like rubber.
    I'll eat all the frog legs I can hold!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    They didn't cook the escargot correctly then. Probably not fresh. I bet frozen would be like rubber.
    I'll eat all the frog legs I can hold!
    Don't know about the escargot, never wanted to try them. Frog legs? The real ones from the marshes and canals are like unbelievable. Caught hundreds of 'em as a young man--15-30. Always remember the last sack--my girls, like 4 & 5, waking up, half asleep, seeing a frog that escaped the sack in the bathroom. Something I need to think about taking my grandsons out on. Still have my old gig.

P.S. Most of the "Frog Legs" you get today are from India or China. Wouldn't order them in the restarurant for all the tea in China.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    I can't be in the same house with sauerkraut.
    Worst food poisoning I've ever had was old oysters that my 2nd wife intentionally fed me. It was a short marriage.
    Oh yeah ... you right about old oysters, they can definitly kill you or make you so sick that dying would be a welcome relief. If I had been on the jury she would of been found guilty of attempted murder. I have also gotten some wrong oysters and truely believed I was going to die.

Gary

Boolit Master

Possum? Racoon? Pickled pigs knuckles? I ain't eatin that either!!!! Now... pigs feet...Dominican style...in a red sauce...Mmm Mmm Mmm!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ElDorado View Post
    Has anybody ever had a tamarind?

They sell them dried and sugared at the Mexican grocery stores around here. The ladies at work tell me that it is an acquired taste, but I don’t see how you eat enough of the nasty things to acquire it.
    Again in the camp of never being interested enough to acquire that taste. I do not care for that flavor at all.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

From Florida originally, but these days it's wherever my RV is parked
    I figure that there are 3 categories of "worst":
    1. It tasted good, it makes you sick to death
    2. It was cooked correctly, but it was strange enough that your taste buds (or mind) rejected it outright
    3. The skill of the cook ruined something that you would normally eat

For #1, probably my mother's spaghetti and meat sauce. She put way too much oil in it when she was (supposedly) browning the meat and it always made me puke. Tasted good, but I puked nearly every time.

For #2, probably a couple of items that I experienced overseas in various ports -- most notably balut when we hit Subic Bay the first time.

For #3, probably anything cooked by a girl I once knew.
    Home is where the RV is...

"assassinating a leader is morally justified when people have suffered under a tyrant for an extended period of time and has exhausted all legal and peaceful means to overthrow that leader" -- Abraham Lincoln
    Kind of ironic, don't ya' think?

Boolit Grand Master

Not the worst thing I have ever ate but I want be eating it again:
    Armour Syrup Flavored Vienna Sausage

It doesn't sound bad BUT....Log Cabin flavor and Vienna Sausage flavor just DON'T work together in the same can...Blahhhh.
    Armour's other new flavor Bourbon BBQ Flavored Vienna Sausage is a thumbs up winner...yummy. I hear they got a Honey Mustard flavor out and will try and find some for testing.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing I see mentioned over and over as Worst Thing Eaten is BALUT....seems like a lot of you guys have tried it and didn't aquire a taste for it. I wonder how many baluts you got to eat to aquire that taste.
    "you have to aquire a taste for it" really means this is nasty but I eat it anyway, you probably won't like it.

Boolit Buddy

From Florida originally, but these days it's wherever my RV is parked
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    One thing I see mentioned over and over as Worst Thing Eaten is BALUT....seems like a lot of you guys have tried it and didn't aquire a taste for it. I wonder how many baluts you got to eat to aquire that taste.
    "you have to aquire a taste for it" really means this is nasty but I eat it anyway, you probably won't like it.
    I think it is one of those things that you have to eat when you are young, before you know any better. I suspect that most of us who tried it as adults had the help of copious amounts of alcohol to cause us to even consider such a thing. Of course this was back in the day before the Navy (and Marine Corp) had succumbed to the pressure to be "politically correct".
    Home is where the RV is...

"assassinating a leader is morally justified when people have suffered under a tyrant for an extended period of time and has exhausted all legal and peaceful means to overthrow that leader" -- Abraham Lincoln
    Kind of ironic, don't ya' think?